Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which Boss was Gutted the Hardest?

Every so often raid content receives a round of nerfs whether it be incremental, a flat percentage, hotfix, removing abilites or changing abilities. Which boss do you think took the biggest blow from the nerf bat?

In my opinion it was Al'akir on normal mode:

Nerfs:
    Acid Rain doesn't stack
    Electrocute now pulses every 1s (up from 0.5s.)
    Feedback duration increased to 30s (from 20s.)
    Health, damage, and Wind Burst damage have all been reduced 20%.
    Lightning and Lightning Rod recast time has been increased.
    Lightning Strike friendly chain damage has been halved.
    Will no longer use Static Shock on normal difficulty in phase 1 or phase 2.

I remember doing this boss with the worst pug I've ever seen and we one shot it (after the nerfs). Atleast half the raid would get caught in the tornadoes during phase 2 but nobody died until the last phase (which was doable with less than 5 players anyways). I mained a healer in Cataclysm so I thought it was pretty funny, there was actually nothing to heal.

Honorable mention goes to heroic Ragnaros, but even though he got nerfed like 10 times (lol) I still considered him a challenging boss at 85.
    Last edited by Haywire5714; 2013-10-29 at 01:18 PM.

Heroic Ragnaros..they took the hardest part of the fight and just deleted it..o.O
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    M'uru got nerfed twice, the first one was fixing a bug that made it alittle easier the 2nd nerf in the 3.0 patch made the boss very easy.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

God damn I remember al'akir 25 making me cringe, we just did 10man instead since 10~ of the other 15 couldn't handle it. Then a few nerfs later and the only way to fail it was to not meet the (40k dps 10man) enrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Ragnaros is nerfed like 5? 6? times

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Heroic Ragnaros..they took the hardest part of the fight and just deleted it..o.O
    this pretty much!

on heroic in the last phase you had to stack in 3 separate groups inside a small frost circle whilst being far away enough to not gyser the entire raid. each group had to run in from the outside each time you go to another frost circle while be spread out

then they were like "this wasnt the intended tactic" and removed it entirely

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal mode Primordius.
    Used to have a decent rage timer and more reduced damage when non-transformed, so you actually had to do the mechanics.
    Then like, 3 weeks in, longer rage timer, less reduced damage, and then people were just ignoring the mechanics entirely and it became a patchwerk boss, even in current content.

Deleted
    Normal Nefarian in the 4.2 patch probably.

Heroic spine, no doubt.

Went from "let's stack arcane mages with legendary and pull it like a trillion of times and pray to RNG" to "oh well a couple people died, doesn't matter, we are killing each tendril in 1 lift anyway"

Ill see you one c'thun.........

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic Rag definetely.
    They just saw no one played the last phase like it was supposed to be and changed the mechanic to being completely ignorable. It was a joke afterwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    Ill see you one c'thun.........
    I dont see bug fixed and gutted as the same thing to be honest.

Deleted
    That 20% flat nerf to firelands, including heroic is what comes to mind.

Felt as easy or easier than normal modes afterwards, place turned into Heroic Ragnaros: The instance. Probably not the biggest gutting, but it's the one that sticks in my mind the hardest since it was such an abrupt, across the board drop.

Man I hated T12 and 13s flat % nerf thing, glad that's stopped until the tier is over and done with.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    40 man hogger was pretty tough...

It's hard to tell since several bosses have been nerfed while only one or two guilds in the world had defeated them (Al'Akir 25HM comes to mind.)

Heroic Rag is a contender but it was only one fairly simple mechanic in the final phase that got removed.

Normal Al'akir is the biggest nerf I've ever seen to anything, if you actually did the fight post-nerf (woo achievement runs), Acid Rain would literally fall off people instead of stacking. They literally trivialized an entire phase at which point even getting caught in tornadoes wouldn't get you killed. They essentially LFR-ized the fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    They evenly gutted every single Boss' HP in 3.0 by about 25%. Tell me there was a bigger nerf in one swoop. We rocked into BT just for funsies after 3.0, killed Supremus in about half the time we normally did, and then went back to Sunwell which we had just cleared a few weeks prior and rolled it without paying attention.

Heroic Ragnaros was one of the hardest tuned bosses of all time, second only to the Lich King. Paragon had to 3 heal H Rag just to meet the DPS check for 2 meteors.

considering that literally every boss in DS was nerfed 35% by the time MoP came out, I think it's safe to say those 8 bosses were nerfed harder than any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfeather View Post
    considering that literally every boss in DS was nerfed 35% by the time MoP came out, I think it's safe to say those 8 bosses were nerfed harder than any others.
    I disagree, removing mechanics often is a lot stronger than damage/health nerfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."