Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

dps monk in 10 man, go for it od no?

Helo,
    Just want ask about dps in 10m. Is it ok? Or there are different better class(leather only) which bring dps and utility

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like an odd question. Play w/e you prefer and enjoy playing.

If you want the best utility, the druid gives you 4 specs that can do it all. If you want DPS and some Utility then Rogues. Monks aren't known for their Utility, or really their DPS in 10mans.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

If you want utility, as a healer I love me some rogues (Feint, Smoke bomb). I'm told they bring better DPS among the melees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Seems like an odd question. Play w/e you prefer and enjoy playing.

If you want the best utility, the druid gives you 4 specs that can do it all. If you want DPS and some Utility then Rogues. Monks aren't known for their Utility, or really their DPS in 10mans.
    Unless you happen to roll BrM and/or MW.

But yeah, it's kinda sad when going full fistweaving DPS nets you about ~80% of your DPS as WW with less than half the effort + tons of healing to spare.

I think currently there is no reason to get a WW in a raid, but there are plenty of reasons for both BrM and MW, so there's something

Monks are fun to play, but really, outside of the obscene amount of stuns, don't really bring any utility and have some mid-pack dps.

I would imagine that if you're fishing for a raid spot, a druid would be a better option for leather DPS. Battle Rez, Spell Haste (if you go boomkin), and a tank/healing offspec. Resto druids are supposedly pretty strong right now (Don't quote me on it.)

I don't know if Feral does more or less than WW, but I'd say monks have very little raid utility compared to a druids Brez, or rogue smoke bomb. (Coming from a guy who raids as a WW in 10.)

i have rogue and they are pretty f***** awesome ( i have played him for like 5 last years, hc , but recently i was curious on monks, i stop raiding before mop start and now i want to start again with monk as alt, but i feel like the monks are "slow" dps is.... "slow" or i just can't play on it. Uptime of crucial buff/debuff 100%, no overcappingand and still on rogue im doing A LOT more with not gemed/enchanted gear (due changes of gear i was not gemming/enchanting it for some time) event with lower ilvl ...

Monks do some pretty decent damage when you get into it, sure we're light on utility but for cleave/AoE fights there is no class that can beat us.

10+ Year Old Account
    WW has quite a bit of its own raid utility if you think outside of brez.

Monks are middle of the pack dps. No reason to bring a monk to any raid unless you don't have a rogue, dk or any ranged class nearby.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AseyBL View Post
    Helo,
    Just want ask about dps in 10m. Is it ok? Or there are different better class(leather only) which bring dps and utility
    if you talking about this expansion isn't kinda late to decide what class/specc you will play? and if you talk about next expansion isn't kinda early?

I only get to tank real raids as my tanking is more valuable than my dps, but when I do get the chance to play WW like in flex runs for people's alts and whatnot, I absolutely destroy every DPS in there. And we don't have crazy insane utility, but we can do a lot of cool stuff, and i'll list a few things off here.

For Immerseus, you can use healing sphere to heal the "good" slimes. As the fight goes on when theres less slimes to dps and more of them to heal, this helps out. ONly takes about 3 healing sphere to top off a healy slime, at least in 10-man settings, 25 I imagine they have more health. Furthermore you can place the healing orbs where the slime is going to appear before it ever even does, so it'll get healed up fully the second it spawns and give you time to regen energy to cap off more.

For protectors, SEF means you can put pain on all 3 at the same time, though you have to be smart about it and know when to call them in so the wrong ones don't get pushed too far too quickly, can also use SEF to kill the big adds on Sun's desperate measures while safely being inside the protective bubble.

Norushen fight lets you kill multiple adds simultaneously, so you never really have to run around hitting the small adds, can just let SEF take care of that.

Sha of pride is pretty cut and dry, but you can put a lot of aoe pain on the reflections. Can also send a SEF copy after the add in the back, though I typically don't do this as the ranged in my raid team is quite strong and kills it in a couple of seconds.

Galakras, multiple AOE stuns to stop the guys from killing the friendly NPCs, and SEF awesomeness for mad aoe damage, etc.

Iron jug, can soak mines with dampen harm and touch of karma.

Dark shaman, can put a SEF on one shaman and then you attack the other, getting that dps boost for the entire fight. Best used on kardis imo as she likes to stand in shit while channeling spells a lot.

Nazgrim, copies, adds, etc.

Malkorok, good at soaking puddles and minimizing damage taken. Can use dampen harm if you're job is to eat all the puddles, or diffuse if you just need to catch the odd one that no one else is getting. Touch of karma too. Awesome stuff.

Spoils, nothing too fancy here, just SEF copies on medium crate guys and mad AOE which monks excel at.

Thok sucks. Like, seriously. You can wreck the shit out of the jailor then run down the hall and act as Thok bait, very easy to ourun him with roll and flying serpent kick. But this fight is stupid for melee anyway, at least the way my team does it.

Blackfuse you can use transcendence to go onto conveyer belts whenever you feel like it, also very good at killing shit on the belt because of the burst TEB allows you on demand.

Paragons, nothing real special here. Cant use SEF, cant aoe, no real benefit to a monk being here. But that's pretty much true of every other class i'd guess, at least from a DPS perspective.

Garrosh, only real benefit to having a monk on garrosh is controlling the lil shit adds in phase 2 and 3. In the event someone gets like 2 of them on them and you don't have one, you can taunt one off, you can also stun them multiple times if they do get empowered stacks giving people time to murder them before they cause probs. Can also use your impressive monk defensive CDs to help healers out significantly for things like whirls and annihilates.

Monks have powerful defensive CDs and used well can keep you alive, make the healers' lives easier, or whatever. Now rogues are much, much better at this than monks in most situations, which kinda sucks, but monks do have a fair few toys to play with. Monks are also capable of resetting almost any boss in the raid quickly to avoid a complete wipe by transcending out of the boss fighting area. It's a useful trick I employ a lot on heroic progression attempts, if it's gonna be a wipe, you can prevent it and save repair bills and time.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Monks are middle of the pack dps. No reason to bring a monk to any raid unless you don't have a rogue, dk or any ranged class nearby.
    Pretty much this. Finding a good WW for 10/25M is like finding a needle in the haystack. Far too many times I see WW on my server under performing with the gear they have. So unless you are pretty phenomenal and really know how to play your WW to its fullest potential to be consistently in the top 5 of your DPS charts... you should definitely reconsider the class you want to raid with... or play BrM

Edit: The only reason to keep one windwalker over a rogue or druid in your raid is if they are pulling phenomenal numbers... which most people that play windwalker usually don't (which is why they are such a rare breed).
    Last edited by Swankyy; 2013-10-28 at 10:33 PM.
    Swankfu
    <Divine Council>
    Illidan - US

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    But yeah, it's kinda sad when going full fistweaving DPS nets you about ~80% of your DPS as WW with less than half the effort + tons of healing to spare.

I sometimes DPS in my 560 tank-gear and do like 280k+ single target, while doing like 100k as a fistweaver with 540 gear.
    Unless you get a huge DPS boost for those 20ilvls you're terrible at math.

And the reason not to bring a WW to your raid is because either your raid sucks hard or does undergeared progression and needs every bit of utility it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishar View Post
    I sometimes DPS in my 560 tank-gear and do like 280k+ single target, while doing like 100k as a fistweaver with 540 gear.
    Unless you get a huge DPS boost for those 20ilvls you're terrible at math.
    Actually even with keeping ReM on the whole raid you can do quite a bit of damage, just see anything from MagicRen who does lightning weaving on progression. You could probably hit 80% DPS if you dropped healing completely, and run with DPS trinkets and cloak like he does. The Courageous Legendary Meta Gem (the healer one) is important to not OOM with such a rotation so I believe he uses the healer LMG though.
    One such post with logs linked:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22704918

Quote Originally Posted by Shishar View Post
    And the reason not to bring a WW to your raid is because either your raid sucks hard or does undergeared progression and needs every bit of utility it can get.
    This doesn't really make sense. Viable does not mean optimal. OP was asking what is optimal. Of course WW is viable, or Blizz would have done something about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short and Simple, the DMG you bring is not enough to justify your spot in a serious Heroic Progression 10man.

Since there is a magic "Arms Race" and WW's are not allowed to participate (via GCs on words) you/we will suffer in our serious 10man options.

If you have a Monk someone can do it better. And give more options for other things at the same time.

This is kind of a depressing thread. Seems like WW/MW Monk morale is a bit low. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    This is kind of a depressing thread. Seems like WW/MW Monk morale is a bit low. :P
    Not really. I use my ww monk for 1v1 pvp and wpvp cause that's the only thing it's good at, and I play my surv hunter in pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher86 View Post
    Monks do some pretty decent damage when you get into it, sure we're light on utility but for cleave/AoE fights there is no class that can beat us.
    not sure if serious....a few target cleave mutlidotters will blow you away, a few more targets stacked then ele shamans still beating you, loads of targets, then destro lock or hunters etc just fly away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Blackfuse you can use transcendence to go onto conveyer belts whenever you feel like it, also very good at killing shit on the belt because of the burst TEB allows you on demand.
    I did not know about this.

Does this also forgo the cooldown that stops you from jumping down the pipe?

Actually even with keeping ReM on the whole raid you can do quite a bit of damage, just see anything from MagicRen who does lightning weaving on progression. You could probably hit 80% DPS if you dropped healing completely, and run with DPS trinkets and cloak like he does. The Courageous Legendary Meta Gem (the healer one) is important to not OOM with such a rotation so I believe he uses the healer LMG though.
    One such post with logs linked:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22704918
    It's something I'd try in flex fucking around with the guildies, not something i'd use trying to get into a progression guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    MW/BrM morale is fine, they at least have some cool stuff they can bring to the table. Windwalkers are pretty much left in the dirt. GC calls us a offhealing spec and our heals are OK no doubt, and we have great defensives but we have no smoke cloud, no devo aura, no amz, no banners.

it's a shit life for us, really. you will never see a heroic progression guild asking for a ww monk as high priority, we're a fucking joke.