BM random death on Garrosh

Hi, I've been playing dps since vanilla wow so tanking is somewhat new to me. I tanked heroic when i leveled and did CMs as a tank but my experience tanking in raid is extremely limited. At the second week of 5.4 one of our tank quitted and the RL asked if I would become the guild's MT since I've been a consistent raider and he believed that it would strengthen our raid with a consistent tank and I said yes. I think I was doing fine considering that was when I started to take tanking more seriously. We got to Garrosh now and I have been plagued with a few random deaths and spike damage and it's pretty annoying. Since I'm inexperienced, I hope someone here can take look over the log and may be explain to me how to fix it. I would appreciate it greatly.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6h0io5griaupezgn/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uroashi/simple

ToT is over, SoO is now here with hard hitting bosses. You need to replace all of your crit stacking with mastery as you no longer have a free 6k mastery from T15 2p.

Is that the only reason? When I was looking over Skada I actually take less damage than my paladin co-tank. I also tanked all of the other bosses in SoO w/ the crit set w/o problem so I didnt think that it would matter especially since it's 10m normal.

Armory is down at the moment but as far as i can tell your shuffle is kept at 90% up so just make sure you're purifying and guarding when expecting big hits

Looking at your logs

Whirling corruption and grip of despair killed you a few times - If you are tanking boss well Whirling is out..pop diffuse magic/fortifying brew/guard can likely mitigate whirling without any problems prepare to start kiting to smooth out raid damage from whirling corruption(further away = less damage to raid), you can also diffuse magic the grip of despair

other times seemed like lack of heals or proper cooldown management for the adds coming out

Garrosh tends to hit hard, I agree. Tough there is no reason to go for mastery as long as you tank 10 man.

Since armory is down atm we can't say anything about your gear/reforge although I managed to look at your logs. Most of your death are from either Gripping Despair of Whirling Corruption. I'm using a cd for every whirling corruption (diffuse magic or guard) to negate most of its damage. How often do you change who is tanking? You shouldn't be dying from stacks unless something goes wrong.

For adds in phase one have ring of peace ready for moment when Garrosh buffs them. This should prevent any random deaths.

Also if you are doing the tactic my team does (in p3 I tank him untill 6 stacks, then dk takes over and I keep kiting adds till the end) you can burn your remaining cds at Garrosh in p3, you won't need them later.

Btw, you have 2 melee - if you can bench one for this fight. I know it's tough but this is the fight when melee is far less desired then ranged. I would also recommend telling your dps to try harder. I know it's tough but our first kill was with 200k more raid dps then your team does. Do you have 3rd vision?

if not all of your members have the legendary dps capes (tanks should probably be utilizing them too in lots of cases unless tehre's a certain mechanic you really want it for), you may be letting adds live long enough that they are receiving 2nd applications of Hellscream's Warsong on the adds

(I'm seeing a lot of you dying to warbringers in P1 and getting b-rezzed in P1)
    you have 2 options:

A. have the add tank pick up adds and move them far enough away that they do not receive the first application or late ones when they come out

B. call for dps to help finish off adds in P1 about 5-15s before the 2nd Warsong on DBM

and make sure you'll always getting the adds knocked back into the iron star

if you go through recount or some other log you'll notice that when you die the adds will have started hitting for a bit over 1/2 of what garrosh is hitting you for each time

other than that the only thing you might need cooldowns during empowered whirl (the other place where you often die) due to the tank debuff being a dot you could try out the rook trinket if you have it or you can just run out of melee and use that one lightning move

re-read how the empowered tank debuff works

also don't forget one of the strongest moves in the monk kit that you may forget about occasionally ZEN MEDITATION cause you don't seem to use it enough it can be used quite well on this fight if glyphed during the anihilate phases and during wmpowered whirls) other than that, try corodinating raid cooldowns between annihilates and empowered whirls (save cds and try to time it out so you have them for the 2 p3 whirls) (remember while planning cds that abilities like spirit link, barrier, and smoke bomb aren't too great for P3 empowered whirls due to movement)

your raid group has
    1 zen med + 1 avert harm (should be used at same time, preferably w/ glyph)
    1 tranquility
    1 barrier+spirit shell (or divine hymn if he/she can swap)
    1 devo aura
    1 smoke bomb
    1 rallying cry + 1 demo banner
    1 spirit link+1 healing tide
    2 warlocks (these bitches don't even need to be healed on normal modes so they might as well count as raid cds due to saving throughput and mana)
    if you need to to in p3, because you have a shaman try to have people move from the purple swirls where adds spawn while still staying somewhat grouped to help his throughput

and don't forget to remind people to pop personal shields/healing, healthstones, iceblocks, deterrence etc if they get really close to death

also, I saw some mess ups w/ letting minions of y'shaarj dying a little too close to each other

I don't know too much about gearing and stuff so I'll leave that to the actual tanks and not a healer
    have your druid shift stay healing w/ Heart of the Wild past his tranq if needed as I think your dps isn't far enough to stop you from taking a 3rd whirl w/ where you guys are

also call for pain suppression/guardian spirit if you need it lol #1 rule of tanking w/ a priest, since they usually hold onto it until the last second

- - - Updated - - -

also forgot to mention that if you do occasionally let the adds live a little to long, stun them w/ leg sweep or ox wave and roll away (preferably away from whichever wall your group has ironstar explode on) from whichever and tell ranged to finish them off while kiting w/ kegs

- - - Updated - - -

also forgot another thing, if your healers have trouble w/ the late P2 empowered whirls you may want a cd (although they shouldn't imo) since most your raid cds are 3min ones (other than spirit shell) you should remember that the ones used in the first anihilate phase are the only ones you can rely on greatly for P3, maybe the 2nd anihilate ones might be up for the 2nd P3 whirl, but any cd used on a P2 empowered whril is probably a cd not used on a P3 empowered whirl

also you guys are going long enough in your almost successful wipes that a 2nd lust is possible so remember how much that will help your healers in P3 (the answer is 30% haste is a shit-ton of healing) so you can use none or almost no cooldowns for one empowered whirl that falls in that period (usually the last P2 whirl, the 1st P3 whirl or the 2nd P3 whirl)

Wow, you guys pointed out quite few points that I completely missed. Like I've mentioned before I've never tanked in a raid environment until 5.4. I definitely need to keep track of the phases better and use cool downs more effectively. It was so much easier when I just had to dps lol. Please let me know anything else you guys may have notice. These are extremely useful for me.

We had a lot of issues with me dying as well on garrosh (although I was 10-20 ilvls below our other tank without legendary cloak for all and legendary meta for most attempts due to main swap). A lot of it comes down to the fact that Monks are just better at slow, big hits than lots of smaller fast ones. Moving me to tanking Garrosh helped. Ultimately, however, we started swapping. Eventually, the current MT would have such high vengeance he would peel all the adds, so the other tank would taunt garrosh, and we would just keep cycling like that.

Also, don't be afraid to use CDs. That was my biggest problem transitioning from rogue DPS to monk tank; use CDs liberally, especially "soft" cds like EB or guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    ToT is over, SoO is now here with hard hitting bosses. You need to replace all of your crit stacking with mastery as you no longer have a free 6k mastery from T15 2p.
    Heroic modes could certainly change my opinion here (as we just downed Garrosh this week), but from what I've seen Crit actually does a better job of surviving most of the time.
    Last edited by zurm; 2013-10-29 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zurm View Post
    Heroic modes could certainly change my opinion here (as we just downed Garrosh this week), but from what I've seen Crit actually does a better job of surviving most of the time.
    I've killed only first 3 bosses on hc and had some tries on 4th. There is no need for mastery so far. At least not in 10. Extra dps from crit is more welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I've killed only first 3 bosses on hc and had some tries on 4th. There is no need for mastery so far. At least not in 10. Extra dps from crit is more welcome.
    Depending on your gear I run 25m and have been running a 'balanced' crit mastery build mostly so I can swap what RoRo proc's for the later harder hitting HC bosses. I probably don't "need" the 11k mastery but I'm getting closer to the DW soft cap anyways and still ranking so I'll keep it to make things easier on healers.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Wrong, I'm tankin heroic garrosh right now with a full crit build. Full mastery is only good for solo tanking malkorok and paragons on heroic. Everything else should be crit build in 10m, can probably crit build paragons as well but it's a sketchy way to progress on that fight.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of things I noticed for myself (bonehead mistakes I have made) is when picking up the adds sometimes if dps got aggro and I had to pull them back, I did a stupid and let them hit me in the back which spiked damage. Gotta be careful about that.

Also, make sure to reset your OX statue after every intermission phase as its going away and it doesn't look like you're resetting it. I realize that's not causing your own personal death, at least not directly, but you're giving up free heals on the raid.

Deleted
    The only thing that's been killing me on Garrosh on my BrM is....the adds in the first phase when we get an overflow from other waves and there's like 9 adds up and someone stuns them all. GG burst dead.

forgot another thing, you have 2 more raid healing cds to help w/ whirl deaths if you include ascension and your shaman can take ancestral guidance, 3 if they have the resto 4 piece which makes spiritwalker's grace into an amazing healing cd

Deleted
    dont wanna browse your logs and so on, just wanna add: dont stun the adds in p1, their cd on specialattack and swingtimer reset, all hit together and you´re taking a burst of dmg or even get oneshotted on 25man

On adds, I just use Ox Wave after the first few seconds of the War cry. Although I think Ring of Peace also works on them as well.

Does Ring of Peace interrupt and Silence allies that are mind-controlled during P2 and P3?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KyyaL View Post
    Is that the only reason? When I was looking over Skada I actually take less damage than my paladin co-tank. I also tanked all of the other bosses in SoO w/ the crit set w/o problem so I didnt think that it would matter especially since it's 10m normal.
    Paladins usually take more damage, but it's less bursty, and many are using eternal flame, which heals for a crap tonne with vengeance up,

Paladins take more overall damage, but their self-healing is also through the roof, so if you subtract the Self-Healing from Damage Taken, BrM and Prot Pally are pretty close.

I think you should make it a point to have a guard or dampen harm ready for: 1) You have 2-3+ stacks of the debuff and he goes into a whirling corruption. or, 2) You're picking the boss up immediately finishing off a whirling corruption. I found myself spiking at that point (and a few of your deaths came around then), so, I made some cooldown usage changes and was fine from there on out. The damage is very predictable, and beside whirling corruption everything is pretty much avoidable beside melee and debuff stacks, and you should dodge a bunch of the melees anyway.