How do I calculate Giga/Tera Flops?

I read about how the cost of computing has been decreasing while efficiency in computing has been increasing and would like to compare/contrast between my computer and the one i had 3 years ago, and 7 years... In terms of performance when it comes to gaming, my old computer in a 25 man raid has 0.5 frame rate while my new one has about 19-22 frame rate, loading screens last 1/40th as long, my new comp doesn't take 5 minutes to load.

New comp
    Intel R Core TM i5-3317U @ 1.70GHZ 1,70 GHZ
    Ram 6.00 GB 5.80 GB useable
    64 bit operating system

Aspire v50571

Turns out FLOPs is not a good measurement, what other forms of measurement are useful in terms of performance like better FPS, loading screens,higher detailed graphics etc. I will try out linpack
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2013-10-31 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    MB to KB = MB * 1024
    GB to MB = GB * 1024
    TB to GB = TB * 1024

The same applies to flops as well. Mega to Kilo is Mega * 1024, Giga to Mega is Giga * 1024, Tera to Giga is Tera * 1024.

So, for example, 1000MFlops would be 1000*1024 = 1024000 KFlops. Reverse, you just divide by 1024 instead of multiply so for example, 1000 KFlops would be 1000/1024 = 0.9765625 MFlops.

Rule of thumb: Changing to lower denomination is multiple by 1024 and change the unit, changing to higher denomination is divide by 1024 and change the unit.
    I already know that, but im trying to figure out this"Intel R Core TM i5-3317U @ 1.70GHZ 1,70 GHZ
    Ram 6.00 GB 5.80 GB usable
    64 bit operating system" how would I use this to calculate the G/TFlops for my computer? or am I looking in the wrong spots?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Allow me, if you will, to ask why you are so paranoid about this?

I can assure you that your computer's flops are lacking, mostly because of it being a laptop with mobile parts, plus by the sounds of it, no dedicated GPU, as even a mobile GPU chip would be a hefty increase.

Was your old computer a laptop or desktop?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: evn was already grinding out a massive post that details it further when I wrote this

I think I should point out that "FLOPS" is a theoretical calculation, and not really useful for anything other than showing changes in technology over time. FLOPS is effectively CPU x Cores x Instructions, and every CPU will be a little different, and there are other factors involved these days too.

Not only that, but a CPU with a higher FLOP rating may perform worse than one with a lower rating, due to software design, core and thread efficiency, OS, and a lot of other things.

Effectively what I'm saying is... FLOP calculation is effective for comparing FLOP calculation against another CPU, and generally useless for actual real world usage. If you want to test how good your CPU is compared to your old one... there are ways to do it, however FLOP rating is not it, unless you're in the fabrication industry where this is important.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Intel Burn test gives results in GFlops. Not sure if it's in any way useful.

Well flops don't mean everything really. Taking the cell cpu as example it did have higher Gflops than the xbox's 360 chip but it wasn't better at all mainly because the cell cpu was just weak in symmetric multithreading and being a true single core not an 8 as they advertized it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Turns out FLOPs is not a good measurement, what other forms of measurement are useful in terms of performance like better FPS, loading screens,higher detailed graphics etc.
    actually, how does it feel? your perception is more important than any benchmark

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    actually, how does it feel? your perception is more important than any benchmark
    Well my new computer is so much better so it feels better, but reason I am looking or better benchmarks is because I might buy a computer as a gift, or in 5 years will purchase a new one or upgrade one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well my new computer is so much better so it feels better, but reason I am looking or better benchmarks is because I might buy a computer as a gift, or in 5 years will purchase a new one or upgrade one.
    The thing is... Knowing GFLOPS is almost entirely irrelevant to what purchases you might make.

It's like asking if the food you're about to eat is tasty, and you are in turn told that it's liked in the country it's from. While the information is related... it's not relevant, or useful.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The thing is... Knowing GFLOPS is almost entirely irrelevant to what purchases you might make.

It's like asking if the food you're about to eat is tasty, and you are in turn told that it's liked in the country it's from. While the information is related... it's not relevant, or useful.
    That's the reason why now I'm looking for a more revelent benchmark than FLOPS, I'm looking for a computer which is very fast and very high frame rates, fast loads and processing like spherizing a part of an image, on a slow computer may take 1 minute to complete the process while a faster one may take 5 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking for a computer which is very fast and very high frame rates, fast loads and processing like spherizing a part of an image.
    If you're looking for a system now, I'd suggest posting in the build/upgrade subforum and fill out the Build Sticky. There is no 'best', really. Different things are used for different stuff sometimes, and theres always a budget, too.

If you're looking to build a system in 5 years, then... I guess if this forum is still here then, fill out the same info then =D. Any technology and info we have now will be utterly useless 5 years from now.

Deleted
    Hey, my CPU is 5 years old and is doing well. :P