Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Personally, I feel that the age of the MMO genre is over. Sure, WoW still has a lot of players, but I feel that will decline over time. We probably won't see a MMO reaching the somehwat same peak as WoW had before at least 5-10 years.

Any game like Guild Wars that requires aiming and timing of abilities, not just button mashing your rotation, will never be as mainstream as WoW.

A game has to have several things in order to succeed, ie draw in lots of casual players and keep them there:

1. Steady flow of content that ANYONE can do, eg dailies, heroic dungeons, reputations
    2. Game that's easy to pick up and play, doesn't require much skill to be "good" at
    3. Lots of hamster-wheel activities like dailies, weekly quests, constant increasing gear, etc
    4. Things that make you feel like you're doing something. This is like professions, levels to max out, achievements, etc. Sort of like hamster wheel, but more like badges to collect.

Edit: Obviously this is just my opinion. These are things that wow does that I believe keeps it relatively high in subs.
    Last edited by Varabently; 2013-11-01 at 02:08 PM.

The problem is that a lot of the newer MMO's are the greatest thing since slice bread for about a month, after that then basically no cares. Remember when Neverwinter was going to be the greatest MMO? No one single MMO will "replace" WoW but I do thing in time it will fall behind a larger number of MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that depending on how well ESO performs at launch it has the ability to take a good chunk of people from wow

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Make it a poll and you'll see better results. I think Elder Scrolls Online will become the biggest MMO to date.
    I doubt it. You're entitled to your opinion, not knocking that. But I don't see huge interest in ESO. It certainly won't top 10 million players. We'll never see that again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Having played quite a bit of TESO it will fail harder then swtor having played wildstar i can tell you that its playerbase will probably be compared to rift.
    Honestly I hope its not like Rift's community, Carbine has respect for Blizzard & what came before its game & from what I see on Wildstar Central & its Reddit, The community that is growing there feels the same way it respects WoW & its accomplishments, its like what WoW's community did with Everquest they respected each other & the accomplishments EQ set that we use today.

Rift's community & Trion didn't respect WoW or Blizzard & karma bite those 2 in the ass so many times, look at the situation their in now.

I can see Wildstar having a awesome respectful playerbase that Everquest & Vanilla / TBC had, But it could combust & fall apart if it doesn't live up to expectations. I look at it this way, if you don't talk smalk to the bigger kid, he wont beat you up or my personal favourite, if you leave the Bear alone, he will not bother you, unless you step on turf as a threat.

Most of these new MMOs aren't a threat, Wildstar I'm very much looking forward to but I don't see it pose a threat to WoW at all, Carbine isn't trying to develop a WoW Killer & most likely will not have scumbag marketing & market against it either, they are going with the check out are game if you want & tell your friends if you like it, Word of Mouth marketing is the best kind & its what really got the word out for WoW. They just want to make a great game for the community that is growing & it could give me another good MMO to play. but it also gives me faith that only good MMOs can hold a sub & F2P is a plague.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    WoW is not even the #1 MMO to me, I don't judge that by just the amount of subs alone
    Is there any other MMO that has had more success than WoW? besides EQ or Ultima Online??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Problem is what describes being number one?

Most subs? Hard because most games right now are F2P.
    Playerbase population? Hard to say, since a lot of MMOs don't release such numbers, yet we did hear Age of Wushu clocking in at 20 million, so eccentially WoW is already beaten.
    Popularity? Youtube, streamers, adds, machinimas, talks on the street, common knowledge from even nongamers?
    Well Lemposs, we should really go by sub based MMOs, not f2p mmos it can be a very iffy subject there as WoW had 12 Million accounts that had a paying sub weither it was by month, 6 months or by minute or hour.

Age of Wushu is F2P MMO, so we can't really compare it to WoW that had has a sub, but we can say Age of Wushu is the biggest F2P MMO. We can say it is the biggest MMO currently, but would it really have that many players if you had to pay by the hour or monthly & that was the only way to play is if you paid. I highly doubt it, if that was the case & Age of Wushu had more than 12 mill with the sub than we could say it beat WoW. But with it having a F2P option, it basically voids it.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-11-01 at 03:22 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem #1 with this thread, I might add, is you're asking a bunch of Blizzard players and/or fanboys on a WoW fansite. Don't be surprised when most of them respond "no way!"
    The reason we say NO, is because there hasn't been 1 MMO yet that surpassed WoW while all those fanboys thought they would, a few examples right out of my head, SWTOR/GW2.

WoW will be surpasses in a few years probably, if not earlier, depends on the subs how bad it will be at end of MoP, but if we look at the biggest amount of subs WoW had, 12M.

No MMO will ever get near that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post

Is there any other MMO that has had more success than WoW? besides EQ or Ultima Online??
    But WoW had 12M, and EQ had 1M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

I love all the people in thread who when faced when an MMO that is doing better than WoW come up with some reason why it doesn't count. It's kinda cute.

In any event, I don't believe any other sub based game will ever beat out 7 million active subscribers because that model is dying out. So if we are only going to count sub based games I doubt anything will reach WoW. We can see this due to the dwindling numbers of WoW and any sub based game out there really.

In addition, WoW came out right when MMOs were new and so it attracted a massive base of people. However in this day and age, there are so many companies trying to make it in the MMO industry none of them will ever "win". You'll just have a lot of little companies with their niche markets. For example, GW2, Rift, FF:RR, etc. If you add them all up they'd equal WoW. But back then WoW was really the only one out there while today there are a ton. If you only have 1 real option you go there. If you have 15, everyone will pick something different. I don't think it's that MMOs are going away but there are more options so you'll never see one massive one like WoW.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem #1 with this thread, I might add, is you're asking a bunch of Blizzard players and/or fanboys on a WoW fansite. Don't be surprised when most of them respond "no way!"
    If your here than wouldn't you be same thing that you are calling everyone else ??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    But WoW had 12M, and EQ had 1M.
    But he did say besides Subs numbers, so I did take that into account.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    With MMOs getting close to cross platform I guess it is possible, but as far as PC the only one that stands a chance in Titan and that's years off.

1. EverQuest Next
    - I doubt it. It seems like a cool game, but I really can't see it turning into the monster WoW is.

2. The Elder Scrolls Online
    - Most likely the one ranking with the most potential to the majority of the people. The game looks good, but its combat is so sluggish and really needs work (Yes combat is a HUGE part in games now). If they smooth it out and don't pull a SWTOR I can see this game becomming the next BIGGEST MMORPG on the market next to WoW. They need to do it right is all.

3. Monster Hunter Online
    - Unlikely. Honestly didn't even know MH was getting an MMO. Might be pretty cool though. MH was a sweet game.

4. Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms
    - Now I feel really out of touch. There's a GoT MMO being made O_o

5. Tom Clancy's The Division
    - No.

6. WildStar
    - Probably #1 or #2 on most peoples list. It's hard to judge it without being biased for me. I personally think the game is over hyped and trying to rack in on the old WoW Vanillia nostalgia of 40man raids. That's MY OPINION. The game may be great and I'm just viewing it wrong. I'll probably even end up trying the game. Right now I can't really say for sure. It's too biased of an opinion and not fair for me to judge its success.

7. Pathfinder
    -No

8. Phantasy Star Online 2
    - No

9. Titan ??
    - If blizzards want it to take over WoW they'll try. Actually being able to do so might be risky. It'll end up with them putting much less focus on WoW and could piss off a lot of die hard WoW players. Or they could sit in their MMORPG Throne for another decade. Who knows.

10. Camelot Unchained
    - Really seems like an awesome game. I doubt it will though.

Recently Released (getting great reviews):

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    - Great game. I won't take over. It'll sit at a healthy sub base though for a few years (I see this becoming the next RIFT sort of deal)

That my opinion on the games you listed. I really don't see a game taking over WoW any time soon unless blizzard wants it to. There will be a day where WoW isn't #1 simply due to age of the game. If I had to pick the next contender I'd have to say ESO like many other people would choose (I personally am really looking forward to it even if they don't smooth combat out a bit) Hopefully it's not another disappointment bomb (SWTOR </3).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Yes? No? If so how soon?

List:

1. EverQuest Next

2. The Elder Scrolls Online

3. Monster Hunter Online

5. Tom Clancy's The Division

6. WildStar

7. Pathfinder

8. Phantasy Star Online 2

9. Titan ??

10. Camelot Unchained

Recently Released (getting great reviews):

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    1. Not a chance. EQ is what you get when the devs listed to the spoiled elitist bastards that still sparely breed in wow.

2. Potential, need to see more.

3. Not a chance. Japanese grindfests are BORING, hence the FF re-release.

4. Sounds like boring fan service.

5. Potential.

6. Not sure about this. Reminds me of when WoW was young. I like it. Let's see how beta plays out.

7. Complete unknown to me.

8. See #3.

9. No info, so whatevs.

10. Unknown.

Japanese style grind-fests are boring as hell. They were 'it' in 1992, sure. But here we are 22 years later. Japan has proven this past gen that it doesn't know what modern gamers want.

Short answer, NO.
    The only one so far ive seen that got a small chance in hell is Wildstar. And even tho im going to play that game like a madman i doubt very much it will reach 8 million subs atleast not for another 2 years.

The question really isnt if it will break Wow's Sub records, the question is if it can overtake WoW as the number 1 MMO.

I'll ask this, why does it matter?

can't you just enjoy what you are playing without worrying about the other game? This isn't a sports competition.

What's the deal with all the hype around Wildstar? I'd never even heard of it until recently, and from what I've seen, it looks generic and childish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    What's the deal with all the hype around Wildstar? I'd never even heard of it until recently, and from what I've seen, it looks generic and childish.
    Yea I completely agree with you.

To be far the only game i see beating WoW is WoW v2.

WoW v2 to me would be what the game is now with a new engine, proper good balance and diverse classes, also made sure that PvE and PvP are separate from each other in such a way that nerfs/buffs to the 1 have zero impact on the other.

Deleted
    i don't think that any game will take the #1 spot without blizz completely fucking up their game and i highly doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    WTF is this? I've not heard of this before now and since googling it brings up "coming in 2013" I'm going to guess that it won't really be doing much but banking on the name.

On topic. yes wow will fall, eventually. IMO the top spot can already be passed, but as that's mostly a majority rule thing and WoW still has the largest amount of people playing, it's a biased vote.

Waiting for games to stop being one/two trick ponies as their main thing for playing.