Thread: New Driver (UK)

Deleted

New Driver (UK)

Hey, just some info about me im 17 nearly 18 and i live in the south of England. Today i just passed my driving test (second time). now that i can drive its led to thinking, and now im really worried about the potential for crashes and accidents now im not going to be with my instructor and in a dual control car. any advice here from people who have been through what im doing and how to stay safe on the roads now alone. I really want my insurence to go down so a crash wont help.

thanks in advance

Dan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfarce View Post
    Hey, just some info about me im 17 nearly 18 and i live in the south of England. Today i just passed my driving test (second time). now that i can drive its led to thinking, and now im really worried about the potential for crashes and accidents now im not going to be with my instructor and in a dual control car. any advice here from people who have been through what im doing and how to stay safe on the roads now alone. I really want my insurence to go down so a crash wont help.

thanks in advance

Dan

1) Don't have music, radio, etc on loudly. It's surprising how much being able to hear what is going on clearly helps you drive. Especially if you're parking or something, being able to hear your own engine is so important!

2) Stay out of multi storey car parks. At least for a while. Get used to turning into tight spaces before you go into them. I've never had a crash but I've had a lot of scrapes, bumps, knocks etc. Almost all of them have been in multi-storey carparks. The ramps are fucking narrow, the spaces are really tight, and there are lots of things sticking out, handrails etc all over the place for you to accidentally clip.

3) Parking in general, get used to walking. If you have to think "can I fit in that spot" just leave it. Park somewhere else. Even if it means a 5 or 10 minute walk, it's worth it. Walking 5 minutes is much easier than dealing with the fact that you just scraped the paint off some guy's BMW.

4) Obvious rules-of-the-road stuff. Don't speed, make sure you know where and when you have right of way, etc.

5) Keep your tyres properly inflated and make sure you don't wear the treads down on them too much. You won't notice it because it'll be a gradual thing, but it does make a difference.

6) It's coming up to winter. There will probably be snow and ice. Honestly, just don't go out in it. Like, at least for a while. If you do have to go out in it, be one of those old-people drivers that goes everywhere at 2 miles an hour. You'll thank me. That stuff will fuck up your shit. I live at the top of a hill in an appartment block, and every time there is snow or ice, there are 2 or 3 cars a day piled up into the wall who have crashed from sliding down the hill. Just stay away from it, it's not worth it.

7) Take your time. If you're at a junction or a roundabout and some dickhead behind you is bipping you and screaming "FUCKING GO, THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM" ... don't. Just take your time. If you rush, you'll get flustered, you'll go when you shouldn't, and someone will go into you, or you'll stall, or you'll spin your wheels and skid. Which comes on to...

8) Don't be intimidated by people. There are a lot of really ragey people on the roads and if you let them rile you up, you'll end up flustered and do something stupid and end up crashing. Just, be chill, relax, take your time.

9) Don't do anything while you're driving. At all. Do you smoke? Not while you are driving. Do you want to type something into your sat nav? Not while you are driving. Don't text, don't change the song, don't change the radio station, don't pick your nose. Focus the fuck up. Like, eventually you'll probably relax a lot more on this, but while you're still learning... Looking down for half a second to light a smoke can end up with you drifting into the next lane and getting mowed by an HGV.

10) Make sure your mirrors and stuff are where they should be. And be aware that if you are changing lanes, there are blind spots etc. Take your time, don't go anywhere unless you are sure it's safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drive with your parents to work or where ever you need to go a few times, then try on your own. Eventually, you'll find it a hindrance to have other people in the car and will enjoy it when it's only you ;>

Make sure to drive slow and take your time, don't worry about assholes behind you beeping their own and so on, do things in your own time as it will help you to avoid a serious mistake.

Don't start with big major trips, do your typical runs to the shop, maybe to the park or whatever in the car, and try to stay away from roads you know are likely to be an issue. Even after you've passed your test, you may still need time to get truly comfortable with driving as a whole.

Don't be afraid though, you passed which means you are qualified to drive, but the key rule is that everyone on the road is an idiot and an asshole. Don't expect them to know anything about driving, and always drive cautiously, but safely.

Deleted
    thank you so much, really good advice; ill take into account parking further away at college, and i never like car parks much even before i passed as idiots almost run me over many a time. much appreciated

Deleted
    Cuetea gave you some excelent advice. Best advice i can give(4 years on the road and a fuckton of km) is take your time. Drive as fast as you feel comfortable(watch the speed limits!),pay attention to the traffic and signs,and drive with someone with more expirience at start. Driving safe is 10% watching what you are doing and 90% watching your surroudings.
    And make sure you get to know your car: how soft/hard are the brakes and gas pedals,how to check your oil/water etc,watch the tires;gas and learn the sound of the engine,it can give a lot of info.

Deleted
    thanks guys, i guess ill have my mum in the car for a bit much appreciated

One of the first things I did here in the US a few weeks after I got my licence to drive (and I was used to the car I was driving) was take a good long drive along a low traffic country road so I could get used to driving for a longer distance on unfamiliar roads with variable speed limits and road conditions (Curves, hills, bridges, traffic circles)

I left mid-morning so I would be sure to be out of the way of any commuters or school bus traffic, had lunch, and headed back home mid-afternoon. It even ended up raiding for a little bit and added some fog in the low areas. It was a good experience and boosted my confidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in the US the biggest problem our teens have while driving is distractions. Stay focused on driving. Check your mirrors constantly, that way when you need to change lanes you will know if there is anybody in your blind spot. Do not under any circumstances answer your phone or texts. If it snows in your area, find any empty parking lot and actually slide your car to find out how it performs. This can be fun but you will also learn how to handle your car on snowy roads. If people tell you that you drive like a little old lady then remind them that the little old lady is still alive after all these years. Good luck, and keep it slow for a while until you get more confidence behind the wheel of your car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfarce View Post
    thanks guys, i guess ill have my mum in the car for a bit much appreciated
    Definitely. I had your mum in the car the other weekend, and it was really educational. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN <3

Deleted
    It really doesn't help that it's this time of year, or I'd have said to get up and go out at 5 AM when it's virtually empty on the roads but still not pitch black. Drive some of the routes you will be driving regularly and get used to your car, how fast you accelerate, how fast you break, when to break on the approach to a roundabout etc.

You can still do it this way, but it will be dark. I'd suggest filling your tank, starting early and then making a day of it. Start when the roads are virtually empty other than the odd commuter and occasional lorry and then slowly build your confidence throughout the day as the environment around you changes and the road traffic intensifies.