Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I created a weak aura to make an audible noise when the tank cloak procs, yes I know you can watch the debuff thing but I like audible ques better.

Anyway, I switched to using the DPS cloak for nearly every fight after that, except when we were progressing on Garrosh I used the tank cloak as a safety net since we had plenty of DPS and Healing it was really a mechanics issue that was holding us back (empowered interrupts, nothing a cloak can help with that lol).

I almost never die first in a wipe anyway. I'm usually the one casting mass rez. (gg shadowmeld)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Why are you, as a raid, not outranging mortar cannons? Also where is your expel harm when you were flying and saw the cannon area? Also why didn't you ask for a lifegrip from the very same priest that healed you via solace?

Those are 3 things out of 5 seconds that could have saved you. Cloak was the 4th on line. And that is assuming you used guard for something else, used fort brew for something else, don't have a warlock in your raid (or HS were on CD too)...

Still waiting for that perfectly executed strat by everyone that somehow makes tank cloak proc.

EDIT: I'll put this in again, just in case someone didn't read the 2895729584 times i said it already. The reason i don't use tank cloak, and noone really should, is that any time where cloak could have saved me, better playing on my part alone would have also, and i don't feel like planning for mediocrity, even if it means a wipe or 2. Now, should tank cloak get a DECENT proc (As in "you get hit by something that would kill you, REGARDLESS OF DAMAGE you are saved") i'd be using it 100%, but capped at max health? No way i'm using that shit.
    I swear you are not even trying at this point..

Whatever, good luck raiding 10hrs a week and downing 3 hcs.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Hah sounds like my raid group. I have put on the tank cloak for fights where I felt a lot of single target damage would be coming my way which so far the first fight seems to be IJ. I know the tank damage is mostly from the dot but if your raid is derping into a lot of damage it makes it easier for healers to forget about you.

Didn't use it for Shamans and probably wont for Nazgrim but plan to for Malkorok (at least for 1st kill), Thok, Siege, and Klaxxi. Don't want to ruin 24 other peoples attempt cause I"m to vain to use it at least for our original kills.

In general I use the DPS cloak most of the time though with my gear + solid bank of healers the tank cloak doesn't get much use outside of progression fights. As others have said you really should be assessing which cloak to use on your own there isn't a general right/wrong answer to which.
    That's kinda the point, on 25 man bosses actually hit, or at least that's what i heard XD

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    I swear you are not even trying at this point..

Whatever, good luck raiding 10hrs a week and downing 3 hcs.
    KK sweetie, seeing you don't know how to discuss a matter without personal attacks i won't be answering to you again, don't worry

Also lol @ your "you are so bad only downing 3 heroics". Considering we are a F&F guild yep, i care waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay much about not having killed garrosh by now XD

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kinda the point, on 25 man bosses actually hit, or at least that's what i heard XD
    I know it wasn't your point but considering the part of my response you bolded it almost sounds like you are saying it's ok to waste 9 peoples attempt but not 24 =P I would probably make the same decisions for which cloaks to use if I was running 10m too.

Again I use the cloak on the harder hitting (or high raid damage) fights on initial kills as a buffer to cover my own and (usually) others mistakes without it causing a wipe. I got a proc on our first IJ kill and seen the debuff on our other tank on a few initial kills as well. Saying you should "never" use the tank is a poor blanket statement by anyone to make.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Why are you, as a raid, not outranging mortar cannons? Also where is your expel harm when you were flying and saw the cannon area? Also why didn't you ask for a lifegrip from the very same priest that healed you via solace?
    1) Because no one dies to the barrage (usually) so why out range it? 2) It was on CD and desprate measures didn't proc fast enough 3) barrage has NEVER damaged me while mid air before, didn't think it would be an issue.

Those are 3 things out of 5 seconds that could have saved you. Cloak was the 4th on line. And that is assuming you used guard for something else, used fort brew for something else, don't have a warlock in your raid (or HS were on CD too)...
    HS has a CD. FB was used for the previous wave mine, DH was on CD, didn't think I needed a pain supp as I said earlier, the mortar barrages have never damaged me before while I was mid air from the bombs.

Still waiting for that perfectly executed strat by everyone that somehow makes tank cloak proc.
    People aren't perfect

EDIT: I'll put this in again, just in case someone didn't read the 2895729584 times i said it already. The reason i don't use tank cloak, and noone really should, is that any time where cloak could have saved me, better playing on my part alone would have also, and i don't feel like planning for mediocrity, even if it means a wipe or 2. Now, should tank cloak get a DECENT proc (As in "you get hit by something that would kill you, REGARDLESS OF DAMAGE you are saved") i'd be using it 100%, but capped at max health? No way i'm using that shit.
    Good for you. I'm fine with admitting that occasionally I have lapses in paying attention as well as I could, or I have small lag spikes at bad moments, and so on and so on. Expecting to only kill bosses on pulls where you play 100% perfectly when you have the option of allowing one mistake... well that's kinda dumb since you know, dps should never been an issue at this point as any guild that's been clearing normal this entire time will out gear every heroic boss in the instance.

Nah, i'm saying that on 25 is more likely to get gibbed as a tank than on 10, that's why on 25 it's understandable to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    Good for you. I'm fine with admitting that occasionally I have lapses in paying attention as well as I could, or I have small lag spikes at bad moments, and so on and so on. Expecting to only kill bosses on pulls where you play 100% perfectly when you have the option of allowing one mistake... well that's kinda dumb since you know, dps should never been an issue at this point as any guild that's been clearing normal this entire time will out gear every heroic boss in the instance.
    So am I, if you read earlier this thread you'll see myself admitting that world first players play better than me. That still doesn't mean i should plan thinking about failing.

EDIT: I'll just remind you all that the one asking the question is a 10-man monk stacking mastery progressing on normal garrosh atm. You might want to keep in mind who are you giving advice to before going into "well garrosh heroic hits hard so tank cloak hurr durr"
    Last edited by Inthislzon; 2013-11-05 at 12:18 AM.

So am I, if you read earlier this thread you'll see myself admitting that world first players play better than me. That still doesn't mean i should plan thinking about failing.
    If you know you're prone to mistakes, why would you not take the tank cloak and give up the small dps gain that shouldn't make a difference for any of the heroic fights you're doing? If you've cleared normal more than a few weeks, your raid will overgear the intended tuning of the first few bosses by a fair margin.

EDIT: For example, norushen is really the only dps check before malkorok. on our first norushen kill (we were ahead of enrage by 20 seconds) my cloak proc was only 2.1M dmg. That would have been made up easily (and by easily I mean by about 20M dmg) if we had our normal mage in instead of having to pug an undergeared guy. So there really isn't any loss in my guild to use the tank cloak over the dps one, because we don't need the DPS, we just need everyone to live. I'm willing to epeen a little less in order to do everything I can to make sure I don't die to stupid shit.

So I'll remind you that you said this earlier

And if it doesn't exceed my max HP then i either cooldown it or simply get healed up. That's what makes the tank cloak pretty much useless
    It's the part that you dismissed it as being pretty much useless, when it's really not. You're basing its usefullness off of the easiest heroic boss in the tier, and not even considering that there's bosses in the instance later that hit MUCH harder. Yeah, we get that the OP of this thread is currently on normal garrosh, but still, you shouldn't make blanket statements about which cloak you should use. Each cloak has its use, and to dismiss the tank cloak because "with perfect play you won't die" is niave and misguided, ESPECIALLY when talking to someone that is in a normal progression guild where mistakes are expected to happen.

EDIT: I'll just remind you all that the one asking the question is a 10-man monk stacking mastery progressing on normal garrosh atm. You might want to keep in mind who are you giving advice to before going into "well garrosh heroic hits hard so tank cloak hurr durr"
    Just going to remind you that normal garrosh hits harder than heroic lei shen, and we don't have a free 12k mastery from a 2pc anymore. getting some extra mastery to progress on normal garrosh is not a bad thing. I'm almost 570 and he still hits noticeably harder than the other bosses in the instance.
    Last edited by britishbubba; 2013-11-05 at 01:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of it like buying car insurance. It costs you money (dps/heals) that would help in other aspects of your life, and most of the time it doesn't really get you anything. But when you really need it, you're glad you bought it, but you drive (play) so that you hope to not need it.

I'm not sure if I made any sense.

Deleted
    Just buy both, there are some Bosses in HC-SoO with a very thin Enrage-timer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    Think of it like buying car insurance. It costs you money (dps/heals) that would help in other aspects of your life, and most of the time it doesn't really get you anything. But when you really need it, you're glad you bought it, but you drive (play) so that you hope to not need it.

I'm not sure if I made any sense.
    You did.

That's why everyone usually only gets insurance to cover what OTHERS do, but when it comes to cloaks suddenly everyone pays a full insurance XD

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think was Inthislzon is trying to say that for MOST fights, the tank cloak really isn't helpful.

For those of you who say that the dps cloak only adds a small percentage of dps to the fight, you're right. However, if you are fairly confident in your ability to stay alive during those fights, the tank cloak still adds ZERO extra dps to the encounter, so why not make the fight shorter?

Again, this is one of those personal preferences things that people need to look at within context of your own group. Are healers struggling? Maybe use the tank cloak for more fights. Is dps lagging? Maybe on fights where you would normally use the tank cloak, go with the dps one just to help out. There's no right or wrong answer, it all depends on each individual group.

I'm 554 ilvl and only 10/14 in normal modes (so I overgear the content just a tad); so FOR ME AND MY GROUP, I've gone with the dps cloak for every fight. The fights that I do die, 99% of the time it's because as a raid we failed to execute the mechanics properly and my co-tank and I are usually the last two left alive just waiting to die after everyone else has fallen.

As a monk tank, I believe it is our job (and part of our toolkit) to help plug holes in the rest of the raid. If you are fairly certain you can survive, the most benefit you can bring to your group is that little extra dps, not to mention the few extra raid shields going out.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do a fight with the tank cloak then check the logs, if it procs then keep using it till it is no longer proccing on a fight.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch