Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    What makes you think that it all revolves around the tank? And how can a tank that does a good rotation, thus have a better mitigation, be bad for a raid?
    The argument isnt good or bad. Being good enough is easy as shit. Its not an engaging role. For the most part its just like playing second rate DPS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    The argument isnt good or bad. Being good enough is easy as shit. Its not an engaging role. For the most part its just like playing second rate DPS
    It i! Definitively! Just as doing the bare minimum as a DPS is!
    The only place where this or any other role is important are changeling contents. Proving Grounds, Challenge Modes, HC-Raids.
    LFD/LFR isn't that, and it shouldn't be. That would be a complete disaster. Imagine a new tank with 460 ilvl vs a 560 ilvl DPS who wants to valor-cap fast. Wouldn't be funny.

I actually truly hate this active mitigation shit. I don't enjoy it, it's not new or innovative and has kinda turned me off from tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Unless of course blizzard just accept the fact, as i have done, that healing is a 10 on terms of difficulty
    Are you serious? I play a healer when I want to relax, not the other way around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Are you serious? I play a healer when I want to relax, not the other way around.
    Me too! I heal or DPS on Flex lately. That way I can slack a lil bit.
    Although I would never heal competitively... Thok HC, that horror...

I have an idea if you find tanking hard take your characters pants off, the lack of stats should make it more exciting,i used to do it during late icc runs

Quote Originally Posted by Blarglord69 View Post
    I have an idea if you find tanking hard take your characters pants off, the lack of stats should make it more exciting,i used to do it during late icc runs
    pft, we had the pants off dance off in kara every friday back in BC. back then i needed the spiritual attunement heals for mana

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    Tanking used to be more challenging when tank AoE had limited targets. Most of the boring AoE spamfests we call dungeons now can be attributed to this. Combined with the fact that mobs used to kill people who werent tanks, it actually made good play distinguishable. Good tanks had threat on things, good DPS waited and lived.

Active mitigation doesnt really fill that void. If you spend your class resources on your AM abilities, cool, you saved some healer mana, maybe a wipe in the long run. Outside of the actual challenging content though, mostly irrelevant. If youre the best tank in the world maybe you can juggle it and still only pinch off a few extra thousand DPS.

I do like the idea, and i feel like it was well-implemented for Monks and DKs, but warriors, druids, and paladins all have a pretty boring setup.

Theres no challenge anymore. Nothing about tanking is hard. Juggling 5-6 mobs with lacerates and 3-target swipe used to be engaging. People died if you were awful. If youre not a tank, you probably love this, but honestly i think its negatively impacting people interested in that role. I've all but quit tanking as a result. At least when i DPS i can benchmark my performance.

Theres more to this and i didnt think this out much, but i am interested how other former/current tanks feel about the direction the role is heading in.
    NO!

You will be forced to spam your AOE tank rotation until your eyes bleed, there is no such thing as threat ! - Heresy

All your 5 mans and scenarios belong to me, the DK Solo artist or the aoe spam group of god

You're judging the difficulty of a role based off of how often you can afk?

That logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    May I suggest challenge modes (as you brought up tanking dungeons)?
    except that there is no reason to do them

they do not drop better gear, they are actually not fun at all, and the only reason most people do them is just to get a set of armor and sell golds for gold/money. most people doing them have already done them and are helping out a friend or getting them on an alt. people who haven't done them are too concerned about making up for how bad they are with group composition.

for something that has been made easier with every patch, they are still not very popular and players recruiting for them are very restrictive about who may join and who may not, because they do not want to have to go through a learning process with other players.

which, i think is kind of understandable when you can lose timers over stupid things like not timing a jump onto a ledge correctly or fucking scarlet halls puts the fucking dogs at the entrance of the goddamn start point for the 50th time or restarts without some of the fucking npcs there or they are fucking invisible and just raping everyone in your group to death for the next 15 minutes.

i have not had a good experience with CMs. they were very buggy, much more about when you pop your invis potion and less about player ability. i did them just for the tmog. someone in our guild wants to put a sales group together and they want me to get in on it, but i just dont care. challenge modes are stupid. i would have bought the golds if i cared enough to save enough money to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebonj View Post
    I've brought this up on the forums before. DPS should be in REAL danger of death if they pull aggro.
    I'm already in real danger of dying in a raid, you know, content that actually matters, because our DK is too slow at picking shit up. what's next, am i supposed to give every undergeared/idiot tank a 1 minute lead on threat just to make sure i don't die? why not just choose not to play the game at that point? because i am already choosing not to play the game enough, might as well go all the way through with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    You're judging the difficulty of a role based off of how often you can afk?

That logic.
    That strawman.

I've always found healing to be a relatively relaxing role, even in current heroic content. I actually find healing to be the most stressful when you're in a bad LFR/Flex/Normal PuG. Healing guild/organised content has always been a very cruisy experience for me because avoidable damage taken is low and you know when most damage is coming. You said in an earlier post that T12 was a personally challenging tier for you, while I personally found even healing heroic Rag attempts to be reasonably stress free.

AFKing isn't a factor in relaxing play, because AFKing isn't playing, relaxing play happens when you are able to perform your role to a high ability without feeling stressed or strained.
    Last edited by Radio; 2013-11-04 at 01:01 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking right now:

*Use Shieldwall when the raid alert goes up

*Use AoEs liberally

*Top the DPS charts
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Tanking right now:

*Use Shieldwall when the raid alert goes up

*Use AoEs liberally

*Top the DPS charts
    it was fun the first 3 times i tanked MSV on my monk

then it kept being forever

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotten boring ? tanking has always been boring : O

I'm worried because healing is getting less and less interesting every expansion it feels like. I miss mana management, the very real risk of going OOM. Not just mindless spam of your best heals at all times.
    Too much focus on huge damage spikes, especially incoming AoE damage. No triage anymore, why bother waiting when you can just heal everyone right away no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Gotten boring ? tanking has always been boring : O

I'm worried because healing is getting less and less interesting every expansion it feels like. I miss mana management, the very real risk of going OOM. Not just mindless spam of your best heals at all times.
    Too much focus on huge damage spikes, especially incoming AoE damage. No triage anymore, why bother waiting when you can just heal everyone right away no matter what.
    OT, but I would agree. To many heal and forget spells as well. Healing Rain, Efflorescence, HW: Sanc, Healing Stream Totem, etc. They do way way to much healing for such an insignificant amount of time and resources. Plus the huge increase in personal/raid cooldowns and the ability for pretty much every class/spec to do some degree of healing.

Shaman are probably the worst offenders of this. Look at their top 3 heals after a fight. It's usually 1. Healing Rain 2. Healing Stream 3. Chain heal 4. Healing Tide. The order might change slightly, but 3 of those 4 spells are push button once and forget for 10+ seconds while it does absurd healing on the raid.

Tanking now on any class is even easier and more boring than it was in WoTLK, its that simple now you could probably design a metronome to press the keys for you.

- - - Updated - - -

This is true , with things like heal bot you could keep a raid alive while watching a tv show, its the addons that make it far too simple, telling you when someone has a debuff and when to click it off and who to heal next and even what spell to use, its pretty stupid how easy healing can be now.

Deleted
    Tanking is not about holding aggro.
    Its about positioning the boss/mobs optimal for the raid/group and mitigating damage to unburden your healers.

In that regard you still build the foundation for the success of meele dd.
    Nothing sucks more for meele than a tank who can't keep the boss out of fire.
    Good positioning: meele can stay on boss.
    Bad: They deal 0 damage while running to get a spot outside of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Tanking is not about holding aggro.
    Its about positioning the boss/mobs optimal for the raid/group and mitigating damage to unburden your healers.

In that regard you still build the foundation for the success of meele dd.
    Nothing sucks more for meele than a tank who can't keep the boss out of fire.
    Good positioning: meele can stay on boss.
    Bad: They deal 0 damage while running to get a spot outside of fire.
    Because there's nothing more engaging and challenging than moving over a couple feet, amritie guys?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    the problem? Mastery and Vengance

The fix? Remove them and then:

-mitigation: put back in game defence and crushing blow, rework dodge & parry and enfatise the role of stamina.
    -threat: give tanks offensive cds for the sake of boosting threat generation
    -Bosses design: bring back taunt immunity for raid boss, remove that "taunt at x stack" idiocy and bring back dropping aggro ability for boss, the off tank should generate the threat needed to be second on aggro list like it was back in the day.
    only problem then would be - how to do all this (and I agree with basically everything you said) while keeping AM. because I like it, a lot of other people do, and I am pretty convinced that blizzard does as well.

Tanks should NOT be about "don't care about survivability, as long as you have gear you're fine" (as it was in classic), but neither they should be "don't care about threat as long as you have it once you're fine" (as it is now).

they did well with threat being an issue (in classic and I think at least also in BC if I remember correctly), and nowadays they do well with survivability being an issue, but threat being absolutely irrelevant.

I would say what you said is a good start.
    I think, Tanks should do the exact same DPS as DPS do - regardless if they have aggro or not. maybe not 100%, but let's say 80% or so. combine this with a 120% (not precise math) threat modificatior. Or 90%/110%. additionally, their survivability is a lot greater than DPS/Healers, meaning if they fail at Threat, the non-tanks get instagibbed. taunt immunity at bosses, plus switch mechanics which requires tank switches, maybe not in the extend they do now (e.g. garrosh, taunt every what? 10 seconds?). No a good tank does good threat and at the same time, due to AM, survives better.

complete overhaul of all passive stats. hit/expertise are just too mandatory nowadays. everyone has this as top priority (except healers), so it is something I would remove first... but that's a whole different story.

funny blizzard do this to make more tanks but the fact tanks are faceroll now and this is why i don't tank anymore its simply boring so i just DPS and its much more fun