Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

From Raiding to PvP

So I feel that my days of Warcraft may be coming to an end with the end of this expansion. I have been raiding since 2007, minus a few breaks, and seen nearly all the content since Wrath when it was current. With my schedule tightening and interest in raids waxing and waning I have turned my thoughts towards ways to revitalize myself in the game, or something to do should I decide to move away from heroic progression raiding.

I haven't really PvP'd since Season 2 when the grind for my Mage's S2 gear burned me out pretty quick. I have dabbled in Arena and BGs and a few times in RBGs but they never held much interest to me and Arenas got me all sweaty and weird. I mostly only did PvP if it would help me in Raiding. I've actively resisted PvP because it is something I can queue up and do whenever, there will always be BGs I can do and each one is different. I've avoided them because I want to play at a high level on a minimal schedule and committing myself to PvP could lead me to playing much more than I'd like, as I'm prone to obsessive tendencies and pour myself into what I'm doing.

What I'm looking for is anyone who has played at the higher levels of Raiding, and decided to move to do some more semi-casual PvP. Obviously I'll still do some flex and LFR just to see the storyline, but does grinding BG's get boring like grinding the same dungeons every time? or does the different combination of team and opponents keep it interesting?

Any advice for a pure PvE player looking to get into some PvP? Class/Spec, type of PvP, anything to spur my interest.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Deleted
    grinding bg's I wont lie to you...is terrible and it seems the less pvp gear you have the crappier your teams are and the more times you fail...I play my pve rogue mainly have full tyr and a few griev bits http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...advanced..seem to always get good groups ,,but if I play my lol pvp toon http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ADne/advancedi seem to get full groups of all green geared peeps..my advice is if you want to pvp roll a quick warrior ...you can headbutt the keyboard in bad gear and still feel usefull hell you will prob cap damage done and most objectives

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by mmoc74688fa24c; 2013-11-05 at 03:51 AM.

I find the grind a bit of fun depending on who you have in the team. It also teaches you a hell of a lot about your class that you didnt know before.

For a class take something that you know already fairly well in pve and are practised with and get in those bg's to grind some gear. Weapons first regardless of the class you play - your first purchase
    Trinket if you dont have one as well, then start working on other gear like 4 piece then the other odds and ends.
    In e mean time have a look at the crafted gear as well on the AH for you toon

Other good ways to gear is look for carries in trade - might cost you a bit but with some gear or at least weapons and crafted gear you can run with someone similar to get your conquest caps eachs week.

Best advice thoguh pick something you enjoy playing for pvp - makes the expierence so mich more satisfying

In MoP I never considered PvP to be grinding. You don't have to grind - you just play, doing BGs is not required at all - that's why you have the catch-up system.

To me PvP is always different and I never grow tired of it because of that.

Let's take the most hated part of PvP (and my favorite) - 2v2. You play versus different people every time and no game goes the same way as the other. It is really different every time. Also I can clearly see my progress - as I get better and learn my class better I kick more ass which is very gratifying for me.

You never switch from pure PVE to casual PVP. Casual PVP is horrible. The only way to casual PVP is as a hobby while you do PVE.

I'd suggest learning PVP and moving on to serious PVP if you're going to PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You never switch from pure PVE to casual PVP. Casual PVP is horrible. The only way to casual PVP is as a hobby while you do PVE.

I'd suggest learning PVP and moving on to serious PVP if you're going to PVP.
    This.

Casual PvP aka Random BG's is like playing football (soccer) and only you and perhaps 1-2 wants to win. Others dont care, as long as they get to hit the ball few times in the match xD

GRind Randoms for gear and move to Rated as soon as possible. Or Arena.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting good in pvp is just like getting good in pve. It's not about how good you are individually, it's all about finding, using and manipulating the right people. As long as you're "decent" and you know how to get what you want from people, you can move anywhere in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Getting good in pvp is just like getting good in pve. It's not about how good you are individually, it's all about finding, using and manipulating the right people. As long as you're "decent" and you know how to get what you want from people, you can move anywhere in this game.
    Life lessons right there.