10+ Year Old Account

Getting New SSD - Which OS?

So my old HDD is really beginning to show it's age and will soon be put out of it's misery. I'm going to be picking up a SSD (250gb Samsung 840 EVO) so that I can upgrade my comp when I replace my old HDD.

As such I'm going to be picking up a new OS to go with it. I am not sure whether to go for Win7 or Win8.1. It's hard to find legitimate feedback on Win8 as a lot of people didn't like the interface, which I hear can simply be fixed with software like Start8. How easy is Win8.1 to use and is it worth going for it over Win7?

One of the major reasons I'm seriously considering going for Win8.1 is simply because it's cheaper:
    Win8.1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wi...ds=windows+8.1
    Win7 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Deleted
    If you currently have Win 7 license you can simply use it on the new SDD?

Windows 8.1 hands down performance is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    If you currently have Win 7 license you can simply use it on the new SDD?
    Yeah I'll admit i'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to how OS licensing works. Currently my Win7 on my old HDD is OEM so I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeonravor View Post
    Windows 8.1 hands down performance is amazing.
    Is it? When I read up on it most people said the performance difference was marginal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Yeah I'll admit i'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to how OS licensing works. Currently my Win7 on my old HDD is OEM so I'm not sure how much difference that makes.
    If your Windows 7 is OEM, but you are using the SSD as a replacement for the hard drive in the device your OEM license came with (and you erase your old hard drive so the license cannot be used), you are perfectly within your right to use the OEM license with the new hard drive.

Only if you use the OEM license on the new SSD in a new system are you breaching the OEM license agreement.

Is it? When I read up on it most people said the performance difference was marginal.
    Besides faster boots (which become rather moot with an SSD anyway), you will notice a small increase in performance (at least I did - no SSD by the way), when upgrading from Windows 7 to 8 on equal hardware.

Speaking of upgrading, if your Windows 7 is OEM, check if your manufacturer has a Windows 8 upgrade program, you might find you can get a good discount (as well as support from them for the new OS).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    If your Windows 7 is OEM, but you are using the SSD as a replacement for the hard drive in the device your OEM license came with (and you erase your old hard drive so the license cannot be used), you are perfectly within your right to use the OEM license with the new hard drive.

Only if you use the OEM license on the new SSD in a new system are you breaching the OEM license agreement.
    Ah ok.
    I did a little digging on other forums and they say it's tied to the Motherboard and not the HDD. Is that right?
    I'm planning on wiping and destroying my HDD afterwards so what would be the correct process for reinstalling Win7 on the SSD?

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a little digging on other forums and they say it's tied to the Motherboard and not the HDD. Is that right?
    No. Just find your license key (if its a sticker on the side of your computer or however you originally got it) and make sure you have it written down somewhere.
    I'm planning on wiping and destroying my HDD afterwards so what would be the correct process for reinstalling Win7 on the SSD?
    Why not keep the HDD as a data drive? Just wipe it.

As for Win7, just pop in the SSD, pop in the Win7 DVD, and use the license code.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    As for Win7, just pop in the SSD, pop in the Win7 DVD, and use the license code.
    Ok is that all?
    Sorry if that's obvious I'm just trying to be thorough due to the whole licensing thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...pretty much. As long as you have the license available, you should be able to just install the SSD, fire up the system, put in the DVD, use the code, and activate it. I'd recommend having the HDD disconnected at the time, so that there aren't any bootstrap confusion issues (if you keep the HDD).

When you activate, theres a -small- chance you'll need to call microsoft, but it's just a 3 minute call to activate. Out of the thousands of times I've done this, I've never once been told I can't use it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab