Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    There are some pretty desperate people trying to convince themselves that WoD isn't legitimate.
    At this point, I'm just trying to convince myself that the time-travel aspect is over-blown. That, at worst, it'll be Cataclysm levels of time-travel. I think the WoD is virtually certain to be the title of the next expac.

If it is, it does seem to make for an interesting title progression though; the second xpac title (and the second in a row) to use an in-universe proper noun rather than referencing game-universe specific things with common English.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If you look it says "computer game discs". I doubt a browser game would require a disc.
    Yeah, that doesn't make sense, and I have no clue. Maybe that's a just-in-case thing? Maybe if they ever wanted to release... something related to that game on a computer disc?

Then again, the alternative could be a console game. Game disc, and non-downloadable.

It's just weird that people seem to totally forget about the previously confirmed Iron Horde...how do we know that isn't the name of the next expansion??!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    There was one line, that Fleugen pointed to in another thread, that appears in no other Blizzard trademark.

Non-downloadable being the key word here. What could this mean? The game can not be downloaded, but is accessed via a global computer network? No patches, no digital download? A browser game, a game for mobile phones, a console game? Then I googled that line and it gave me almost only Warlords of Draenor hits on the first two pages, but it also gave me this

http://www.trademarkify.com.au/list/...mputer%20games

I don't know those games, but I recognized one name. Zynga. Could this really be a browser game?
    Read the entire line, the definition, and the combination of definitions this applies to. Or just read about 5 words back.

You see? some people don't see how this paradox makes sense. Imagine time travel in WoW now.

Edit: basically what it said is, that it falls under the category "Entertainment". Which applies to online games, or online non-downloadable games that are accessed through a downloadable network. Which WoW is, as you only get some software for use to access the game on blizzard's servers.

Now there is the other definition, which defines that it also involves the discs with the game software we need to access WoW, that is the patcher and/or launcher or something.

This way of filing trademarks might have changed since MoP was trademarked.
    Last edited by mmoc9253cef1ab; 2013-11-05 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Explained it a bit (or tried to)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that doesn't make sense, and I have no clue. Maybe that's a just-in-case thing? Maybe if they ever wanted to release... something related to that game on a computer disc?

Then again, the alternative could be a console game. Game disc, and non-downloadable.
    Imagine if Warcraft 4 was ever available on console.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Imagine if Warcraft 4 was ever available on console.
    PC players would rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between WoD and MoP is that MoP had all the copyright information that would lead us to believe that it was an expansion, the only thing threw people off was that Blizzard made statements saying that its "probably just a minigame or something."
    "I intend to live forever."

Deleted
    Obviously a Pet Battle browser/smartphone game.
    I actually submitted that as an idea.

Guys, the trademark offices aren't exactly experts on video games. The exact text of the application isn't going to be accurate.

It might just refer to the fact that the game isn't completely downloadable (ie, it's a client-server application).

- - - Updated - - -

PC players would rage.
    Maybe console players would finally demand mouse-like controllers :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Guys, the trademark offices aren't exactly experts on video games. The exact text of the application isn't going to be accurate.

It might just refer to the fact that the game isn't completely downloadable (ie, it's a client-server application).

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe console players would finally demand mouse-like controllers :P
    Isn't the company who files the trademark the one who picks the categories? Even if not, it's still odd that this is the first time a Blizzard trademark mentions non-downloadable.

Deleted
    Could this really be a browser game?
    No. You're looking into things far too much.

I believe that's because you download World of Warcraft, and then buy the expansions that unlock the content of the already downloaded World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC players would rage.
    Who said it was only on Console, maybe both PC & Console.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Who said it was only on Console, maybe both PC & Console.
    Then it would probably be downloadable from Battle.net

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omoidaseba View Post
    Read the entire line, the definition, and the combination of definitions this applies to. Or just read about 5 words back.

You see? some people don't see how this paradox makes sense. Imagine time travel in WoW now.

Edit: basically what it said is, that it falls under the category "Entertainment". Which applies to online games, or online non-downloadable games that are accessed through a downloadable network. Which WoW is, as you only get some software for use to access the game on blizzard's servers.

Now there is the other definition, which defines that it also involves the discs with the game software we need to access WoW, that is the patcher and/or launcher or something.

This way of filing trademarks might have changed since MoP was trademarked.
    Then it also changed since Heroes of the Storm was trademarked. However there are older trademarks that also use that line, so I doubt anything has changed.

ok this is a sign i need to go to bed and stopp reading mmoc tonight

Quote Originally Posted by MxLionheart View Post
    Actually uh, Blizz did get domains for the past expansions, the only one that has been renewed though is the Wrath one.
    they book them so others can not take it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    they book them so others can not take it
    I guess they're doing it with every game right?

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the Reaper of Souls trademark and it does also talk about "on-line non-downloadable computer games". That makes me scratch my head. I guess I don't really understand what that category means then.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If you look it says "computer game discs". I doubt a browser game would require a disc.
    A browser game wouldn't, but trademarking it means that it's protected from being legitimatelly stolen and sold as "discs only".

Trademarking it doesn't mean it will actually be done this way. Take a look at Runescape to say an example.

Word Mark RUNESCAPE
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Interactive entertainment game software; computer games programs; video games programs; computer game software; computer application role-playing game software; computer game software for wireless hand-held devices; electronic game application software for hand-held devices; downloadable telephone ring tones; downloadable screen-savers; downloadable wallpapers; laptop protective sleeves; laptop protective covers; protective covers for PDAs; portable tablet computer protective sleeves; computer mouse; mouse pads; keyboards; headphones; blank USB sticks; downloadable electronic books in the field of computer games and role-playing games
    I have yet to see blank USB sticks with a Runescape brand, yet it's there.

So does this trademark mean something? No, it can be anything, that it is registered as non-downloadable game content can also be seen as how you look at it. Your character is online, you do not download it, hence it's non-downloadable game content.

On the other side, everything you do online, even in a browser game, you download it to your cache folder. So you can not trademark something as non-downloadable, because even browsing mmo-c, you download data.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    A browser game wouldn't, but trademarking it means that it's protected from being legitimatelly stolen and sold as "discs only".

Trademarking it doesn't mean it will actually be done this way. Take a look at Runescape to say an example.

I have yet to see blank USB sticks with a Runescape brand, yet it's there.

So does this trademark mean something? No, it can be anything, that it is registered as non-downloadable game content can also be seen as how you look at it. Your character is online, you do not download it, hence it's non-downloadable game content.

On the other side, everything you do online, even in a browser game, you download it to your cache folder. So you can not trademark something as non-downloadable, because even browsing mmo-c, you download data.
    Right that's a good point. The trademark would cover attempts to steal that software and sell it on discs. In case of the non-downloadable thing - I'm not so sure about that anymore, because Reaper of Souls mentions it too, but Mists of Pandaria doesn't.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right, I took a quick glance at it and you gotta be on the lookout for two things. It's both registered as Class 9 and Class 41.

Class 9 has this part

Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs.
    Class 41 has this part

providing on-line non-downloadable computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network
    This means that it's actually split in two, there is a part that is downloadable and a part that is not-downloadable. Which, if you think about it, makes sense, as we do not download all the data.

Mists of Pandaria is a bit odd duck, but this trend actually continues. I think it's more that the Class 41 gets more changed than America changes presidents, because this is the Class 41 for Wrath of the Lich King in 2007.

Nice class number: 41
    List of goods and services: Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; and providing online information in the field of computer gaming entertainment.
    Where as their class 9 is practically the same, just a few words re-arranged.

What exactly the class 41 stands for is in my opinion bollocks. So I do not think you should cling on that part too much if I were you, because it doesn't mean much.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work