Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blockbuster Bust

Blockbuster Closing All Of Its Remaining Retail Stores

Well I guess it was inevitable but I still have fond memories of old blue. Even had a girlfriend that managed one. Sad to see her brick and mortar join the dinosaurs.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they had already done that... but really some great childhood memories in that store, I used to love having sleepovers with my friends and the best thing was when my parents would take us to blockbuster and we would run around the store looking for the perfect movie to watch and always beg for a ton of candy, good times

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved that Blockbuster carried Sno-caps.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Damn I assumed this was the case years ago. Such a colossal example of 'adapt or die'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Redbox still seems to be doing well. The concept makes a lot of sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Damn I assumed this was the case years ago. Such a colossal example of 'adapt or die'.
    At least they tried, kinda. I was never a blockbuster guy when movie stores were popular, the regional chain was cheaper.

I'm surprised they lasted this long. No one is going to pay $3.99 a day for a DVD/Blu-Ray when you can rent them for $1.29/1.59 at a Redbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I didn't even know they still had stores until I drove past one the other week.

THE WORLD IS CHANGING AND I AM FRIGHTENED.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIrXKpv2gw

stewie sums up my response nicely. EVERYTHING I KNOW IS DYING.

Deleted
    Not surprising really.

Almost all entertainment stores like this have closed. There's what, 2 game shops chains left in the UK now and one went into administration and the other bought it, so yeah, when they go down, they will go down together or at least buy time by significantly downscaling.

Everything like that will be digital or at least sourced online, likely within the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I'm surprised they lasted this long. No one is going to pay $3.99 a day for a DVD/Blu-Ray when you can rent them for $1.29/1.59 at a Redbox.
    I don't remember Blockbuster having single day rentals since... well, definitely since I worked there back in 2002. Before I quit, I think everything was a 5-day or so rental at $3.99 (less for old movies, more for games). Either way, Redbox is still the superior deal in almost all cases.

It's about time Blockbuster disappeared. Maybe I should see if we have any locations nearby and see if I can snag some PS3 or 360 games during their going-out-of-business sales.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-11-06 at 07:03 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope cinemas start to decline as well so i can see everything online the day it's released rather than having to wait months for it to come out on sky box office -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I hope cinemas start to decline as well so i can see everything online the day it's released rather than having to wait months for it to come out on sky box office -.-
    Good luck with that :P
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

When South Park made a joke about it you knew it was going away.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Not me. Is people like you that are satisfied with the crappy quality of streaming video that you get with the likes of Netflix thats killing the beautiful high end video. I fear we will never get true 4K content because there isnt enough bandwidth to stream it uncompressed, and there will be enough people like you that can be satisfied with crappy 720p or 1080p video that they wont bother producing uncompressed 4k content on some kind of media (most likely red ray). And dont get me started on sound either with crappy mp3s. Movies need uncompressed Dolby atmos 11.1 sound to truly be appreciated, which youll never get with streaming movies.

This is a major problem with today's young people, They care more about accessibility and availability of stuff more than they care about quality and function
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-11-06 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I loved that Blockbuster carried Sno-caps.
    You can buy them in many places. Here you can buy a 5 pound box

http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Caps-Large...words=sno+caps

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Not me. Is people like you that are satisfied with the crappy quality of streaming video that you get with the likes of Netflix thats killing the beautiful high end video. I fear we will never get true 4K content because there isnt enough bandwidth to stream it uncompressed, and there will be enough people like you that can be satisfied with crappy 720p or 1080p video that they wont bother producing uncompressed 4k content on some kind of media (most likely red ray). And dont get me started on sound either with crappy mp3s. Movies need uncompressed Dolby atmos 11.1 sound to truly be appreciated, which youll never get with streaming movies.

This is a major problem with today's young people, They care more about accessibility and availability of stuff more than they care about quality and function
    Yelling at clouds again are we?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

i remember renting nintendo 64 games from them when i was younger.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I fear we will never get true 4K content because there isnt enough bandwidth to stream it uncompressed, and there will be enough people like you that can be satisfied with crappy 720p or 1080p video that they wont bother producing uncompressed 4k content on some kind of media. And dont get me started on sound either with crappy mp3s. Movies need uncompressed Dolby atmos 11.1 sound to truly be appreciated, which youll never get with streaming movies.
    Uncompressed? Do you have any fucking idea how huge uncompressed video is? You NEVER see uncompressed video, anywhere. Even IMAX digital uses compressed files.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Good riddance really. They failed to adapt in anyway, I am surprised it took this long.

I like blockbuster, but they failed to adapt. They were great for renting video games (no competition). Red box game and offered me another option that was meh, but redbox always had stuff in stock if I used the web to reserve my rental before driving mindlessly, and late fees weren't around.

I don't know if blockbuster figured it out, but they should of adopted a redbox scheme and just charged people when they returned it based on the length of the rental.