Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Yasser Arafat confirmed poisoned by polonium.

Swiss scientists who received samples from his body discovered elevated (18x) the average expected amount of polonium in his bones.

They (and British and Russian scientists) have made the claim that they are at least 83% certain he was poisoned with polonium. They don't pretend to point to WHO did it, but they're extremely confident he was murdered.

Some Russian businessman was also poisoned by Polonium in London a few years ago. Very expensive thing to do, and provides permanent evidence (as if the ones who killed wanted to say out loud "yes, this is definitely a murder").
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I remember hearing about this last year. Was his wife for or against the exhumation? I remember she was involved but I don't remember her stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Some Russian businessman was also poisoned by Polonium in London a few years ago. Very expensive thing to do, and provides permanent evidence (as if the ones who killed wanted to say out loud "yes, this is definitely a murder").
    Polonium stands out pretty strongly if you're looking for it.

The problem is because it's so rare, it's not a common thing to look for. Arafat was dead 9 years before someone decided to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Ah, I remember hearing about this last year. Was his wife for or against the exhumation? I remember she was involved but I don't remember her stance.
    If I remember correctly she agreed to have him exhumed pretty quickly.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    If I remember correctly she agreed to have him exhumed pretty quickly.
    Yeah that sounds about right. I wasn't implicating his wife, I just remember that from the story for some reason

Deleted
    This could be very interesting indeed... I'm not too clued up on Arafat, but I'm sure I can remember hearing he was rather popular.

A lot of people wanted him dead. Others were concerned that if he was killed, control on the Palestinian side could get fractured and negotiation made almost impossible.

So who killed him? Who knows?

yasser yasser three bags full

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Polonium-210 has a half-life of 138 days.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonium

Deleted
    He was a fucking devil of the worst kind. Glad he went in a generally terrible way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    you do realize that this doesn't mean that you can't trace Po-210 after 138 days, right?

Anyone stab him with an umbrella before he died?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    that's just how long it takes for it to lose half of its radiological properties.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    that's just how long it takes for it to lose half of its radiological properties.
    Yup. It was and may still be the trigger or part of the trigger used in nuclear weapons.

Partly the reason I imagine why such a small percentage of nuclear weapons were ready for launch at any given time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    A lot of people wanted him dead. Others were concerned that if he was killed, control on the Palestinian side could get fractured and negotiation made almost impossible.

So who killed him? Who knows?
    Not many have acces to pollonium. As much as i hate the antisemitism that will follow it was probably the mossad.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Not many have acces to pollonium.
    Any nuclear power would.

Private citizens, highly unlikely, bordering on impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Any nuclear power would.
    There is no in the Region nor does anyone there have a motive or is known to assasinate terrorists ;(
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-11-07 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    There is no in the Region nor does anyone their have a motive ;(
    I can think of one...

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Yeah that sounds about right. I wasn't implicating his wife, I just remember that from the story for some reason
    Oh, yeah, no, of course, I didn't think you were going around saying she was in on it ^^ her being relatively religious, as far as I'm aware, I think that's it's a reasonable assumption to make that she might be uneasy about 'desecrating' (in her view) a corpse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    He was a fucking devil of the worst kind. Glad he went in a generally terrible way.
    While I don't agree with the near Mary Sue view a lot of the Western media (outside of the US I guess, don't know how he's viewed here) painted him as, you can't really think that your comment is a fair representation of the man, surely?

I remember being disgusted when they showed people in Jerusalem dancing and partying because Arafat had died and at 11 I wasn't the most empathetic of people...
    Last edited by noralya; 2013-11-07 at 12:51 AM.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”