Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    This is why it would suck ass to be a divorcee with a kid. The only reason the kid is kicking and screaming like that is because HE KNOWS that if his dad doesn't take him, his shit-for-brains mother will. The kid is just playing them off each other. The mother is the unfit parent here...she's teaching her child that if he throws a tantrum he can have whatever he wants.

I also think it's so stupid that the dad is being apologetic about it in the article. If it were my (theoretical) kid I'd be like "yea, I didn't take him to McDonalds...what of it?" It's not like the dad was starving the kid maliciously. He's simply trying to teach his child that throwing a tantrum is not the way to get what you want.
    I agree. And based on the article, I'd say the Dad made the right decision. Good parenting requires good discipline, if the mom doesn't understand that then she is more of the unfit parent than the dad is.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if this a complete set up by the mom either. Dad seems to be late on child support. She finds out where they eat and tells her kid to ask to go to a different restaurant. Probably knows dad doesn't like McDonalds and will likely refuse. She promises to take him to McDonalds for the next week as a reward. It also wouldn't surprise me if she was in a relationship with the court appointed psychiatrist either.

"or no dinner at all" isn't an acceptable option is the only problem I see. "Anything other than mcDonalds or else I choose what you're gonna eat" woulda been preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    "or no dinner at all" isn't an acceptable option is the only problem I see. "Anything other than mcDonalds or else I choose what you're gonna eat" woulda been preferable.
    I got sent to my room with no dinner plenty of times for being an idiot kid. Once specifically because I wanted a McD burger, not the burger my dad was making on the grill. Threw a tantrum. I would get some food later, of course. They weren't failing to feed me, they were just teaching me that acting out that way is not acceptable.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

it is an acceptable option. Besides, not having dinner once a week won't hurt anyone. People skip meals on purpose all the time, and no one has died from not having dinner once a week either that I know of.

Deleted
    Really? I was refused food around three or four times when i was a kid, until i learned to eat what was there - It was a taste test, i could pass on it if i really didn't like it but i'd need to eat 2 or so mouthfuls.

If i refused to do that, and refused to eat it - No dinner, no snacks, no sweets.

Deleted
    Should've just taken him to Maccy D's, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Really? I was refused food around three or four times when i was a kid, until i learned to eat what was there - It was a taste test, i could pass on it if i really didn't like it but i'd need to eat 2 or so mouthfuls.

If i refused to do that, and refused to eat it - No dinner, no snacks, no sweets.
    Happened to me too, probably happened to all of us. It's a fairly routine discplinary tool.

But in context of a divorce and custody battle it's a very stupid thing to open yourself up to. You can't just provide for the kid you have to hyper-provide.

Deleted
    Happened to me too, probably happened to all of us. It's a fairly routine discplinary tool.

But in context of a divorce and custody battle it's a very stupid thing to open yourself up to. You can't just provide for the kid you have to hyper-provide.
    Ah, i see - It would make sense if the procedures were bitter, which it appears they are.

I have to agree with you though in this perspective, people will latch onto the smallest detail to decry you as a bad parent - Especially so as a man, since it's already hard to gain the custody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wait wait... A father is deemed a bad parent for NOT allowing his child to eat at McDonalds?! I say screw the system and give this man a "I don't want my child eating crap" medal! What on earth is wrong with some people?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

This is what happens when you let a third party (i.e. court/government) try to decide what's best for your children instead of acting like rational adults and coming to a reasonable compromise, instead of being selfish and greedy. You end up with someone that has no real knowledge of the situation making a final decision on something that they have no interest or business in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    This is what happens when you let a third party (i.e. court/government) try to decide what's best for your children instead of acting like rational adults and coming to a reasonable compromise, instead of being selfish and greedy. You end up with someone that has no real knowledge of the situation making a final decision on something that they have no interest or business in.
    People in a divorce/breakup situation are typically not rational or reasonable towards each other. Often the kid is used as a weapon. Would you prefer they settle it in the old fashioned way?

I'm not saying this court decision was correct; I don't know enough about it. But I know enough about people to say that you really, really need to be careful when there's a personal conflict between two adults and a child is stuck between them.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    People in a divorce/breakup situation are typically not rational or reasonable towards each other. Often the kid is used as a weapon. Would you prefer they settle it in the old fashioned way?

I'm not saying this court decision was correct; I don't know enough about it. But I know enough about people to say that you really, really need to be careful when there's a personal conflict between two adults and a child is stuck between them.
    Having just had my girlfriend go through an almost year long court case to move out of state with her kids, and having it be denied even though her ex is barely involved with the kids, is a complete deadbeat, and it was really his parents doing all the dirty work, yes I would prefer it the old fashioned way to having the government butt in and make a decision that affects someone's life like that.

Well this can be easily explained, going to McDonalds is part of American culture, you foreigners wouldn't understand.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    How did this even get into a court room in the first place is what I want to know. Is the mother suing her ex husband because he didn't take their bratty kid to McBarfandgag on his visiting day?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    This is why it would suck ass to be a divorcee with a kid. The only reason the kid is kicking and screaming like that is because HE KNOWS that if his dad doesn't take him, his shit-for-brains mother will. The kid is just playing them off each other. The mother is the unfit parent here...she's teaching her child that if he throws a tantrum he can have whatever he wants.

I also think it's so stupid that the dad is being apologetic about it in the article. If it were my (theoretical) kid I'd be like "yea, I didn't take him to McDonalds...what of it?" It's not like the dad was starving the kid maliciously. He's simply trying to teach his child that throwing a tantrum is not the way to get what you want.
    It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on its head.
    Sorry I just had to do it. Agree with quoted post.