Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is there anything I can do to stop running out of breath so fast?

I don't know if its normal or whats up with it but Im a 5'9 female, ideal weight (finally), athletic.. quit smoking over a year ago and I wasnt a heavy smoker even when I did smoke. I just think I run out of breath too fast while running. I usually run 2 minutes 6-6.5 mph, then fast walk or jog for 1.5 minutes and repeat for 30 minutes, 3 times a week but I end up gasping for air and spitting at the end every time and cant push further. I dont get tired and after catching my breath I dont even get sore any more but I cant push further than this.

So uh is there anything I can do so I wouldnt run out of breath so fast?

10+ Year Old Account
    cholesterol ?
    healthy diet helps alot less dairy foods
    dont try anything stressful pace a bit or just jog 30mins daily
    i recently quit smoking i also dont like how i run out of breath
    age has a lot to do with this

ps: visit a doctor run some tests wont hurt

Keep running or find another activity to build your cardio

Edit: Build it until you can run comfortably.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooliganz View Post
    cholesterol ?
    healthy diet helps alot less dairy foods
    dont try anything stressful pace a bit or just jog 30mins daily
    i recently quit smoking i also dont like how i run out of breath
    age has a lot to do with this

ps: visit a doctor run some tests wont hurt

I eat healthy, vegetarian diet, no meat of any kind. No dairy products except for occasional blue cheese, no fats..

I dont run out of breath while doing daily activities, climbing stairs, walking. And Im "only" 21 so it cant be age related either. I just feel I should be able to run for more than 30 minutes, especially after a year of doing the same thing.

Deleted
    just keep pushing it is getting better, just not so fast so you can notice it unless you are taking time on it or whatever

Go to a doctor and them do some running/jogging tests on you, maybe you have asthma or another issue? My little brother is at his ideal weight if not a little under and can run fast but runs out of breath fast, turns out he had asthma once we brought him to the doctor about it.

Get a straw, and a ping pong ball. Use the straw to blow the ball around, it'll help strengthen your lungs. It's also possible that you have an asthma problem, so might wanna go to a doctor and get checked for it.

Just keep pushing each time you go running and it will get better with time.

If you run a fixed route, you can time yourself and record your times. I find this give motivation as you can actually see yourself improving over the weeks and months in your recorded times. I have a little microsoft works spreadsheet thing I use to record my times.

As you get stronger you can keep that running that fixed route and keep recording the times but also continue running for a bit longer (untimed) after that route is complete.

Deleted
    Asthma huh? Doesnt that usually come with attacks or breathing difficulties? I wasnt too worried about it before as I used to smoke but it's been over a year since I quit now so it cant be that, right? I also had a regular health checkup done recently and they found nothing wrong with me. Just my white blood cell count was too high but still within limits.

Deleted
    I've recently found out my asthma has been mis diagnosed for the last 20 years, look like i might have acid reflux causing my attacks, get it checked by a doctor, might be nothing.

As other's have said try something gentler, like a ski machine or stepper, so it is similar movement and a bit more co-ordinated, at first most of your energy when you start running is you keeping yourself upright at a faster speed and fluctuating what speed you go, even jogging at a lower speed will make you last longer, then it is all just down to practice. what you are hitting now gets referred to as 'the wall' where you run out of energy available in your blood, if you push through it you get to the 'fat burning zone' but you burn more than fat, it's just your body accessing whatever energy you have available in your reserves, even if that is muscle, that is why professional marathon runners are skinny, it's not a simple equation but over exercising can lead to muscle loss as well as fat. As you become more experienced the wall feels more like a hill, then a bump in the road, then you don't notice it at all, you body becomes used to the switch. It also takes time for the right cells to develop in the tissue that helps with intramuscular oxygen supply (myoglobin)

May have mixed the biology up a bit, it's been a while but they both work in a similar way.
    Last edited by mmocd7c2c6f77d; 2013-11-10 at 03:12 PM.

Run slower to start. Pace doesn't matter when you're trying to build a base. Maintaining a 6 MPH (10:00 minute/mile is a more common way to write it in running) is plenty respectable for women, there's no need to push past that pace while you're improving your aerobic fitness. Slow down your running until you're capable of maintaining it for an extended time instead of stopping and starting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Run slower to start. Pace doesn't matter when you're trying to build a base. Maintaining a 6 MPH (10:00 minute/mile is a more common way to write it in running) is plenty respectable for women, there's no need to push past that pace while you're improving your aerobic fitness. Slow down your running until you're capable of maintaining it for an extended time instead of stopping and starting.
    Have to agree with Spectral on this one...don't worry about "running out of breath that soon"...just run slower! If you're an athletic person, you're probably better off than a lot of non-athletic people who don't run out of breath that easily...I think it's just the fact that you've smoked in the past and maybe it's still having its aftereffects - it'll take some time for it to go away and for your respiratory functions to return to the point prior to you smoking.

If you're really concerned, you might want to do breathing tests with your doctor - maybe it's just a genetic thing and you're born with a smaller lung capacity, or it might be to do with another underlying condition.

Good luck and congrats on recovery!!

Athletic vegetarian, huh? How do you get your proteins?

Quote Originally Posted by Athabaska View Post
    Athletic vegetarian, huh? How do you get your proteins?
    While I am not a vegetarian, it's really not that hard. Arian Foster is a vegan and doesn't exactly look like he's suffering from protein deficiency.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I don't know if its normal or whats up with it but Im a 5'9 female, ideal weight (finally), athletic.. quit smoking over a year ago and I wasnt a heavy smoker even when I did smoke. I just think I run out of breath too fast while running. I usually run 2 minutes 6-6.5 mph, then fast walk or jog for 1.5 minutes and repeat for 30 minutes, 3 times a week but I end up gasping for air and spitting at the end every time and cant push further. I dont get tired and after catching my breath I dont even get sore any more but I cant push further than this.

I'm afraid that the smoking you've done has still affected your capacity.
    Keep on training. Perhaps breathing techniques could be something for you?
    Perhaps you excert yourself too fast and too hard?
    How old are you? Perhaps you've simply grown past your physical peak.

Deleted

Had the same problem when i started hard on my exercise regime after 4 years of couch potato goodness. 1. Consult your GP first, 2. Get one of these: lung breathing exerciser 3. Read this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...y-for-running/

Good Luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Perhaps you've simply grown past your physical peak.
    @ 21 years old?

Deleted
    healthy, no meat, No dairy products , no fats..
    Wow, your idea of healthy is actually unhealthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    Wow, your idea of healthy is actually unhealthy.
    She may be getting her protine from shakes and oatmeal. That's the new fad with youngsters nowdays, no more guzzling egg yolk and whiskey to get you though the day ( like real men) ;P

Other thing to look at: How are you breathing when you run? The usual in out in out through your mouth will do this to you, it does't actually get enough oxygen to you quick enough and you end up gasping for air along with built up lactic acid etc. Breathing in through your nose and out of your mouth is what I do, I've been a relatively heavy smoker for more time than I wish to put down and still run long distance and cross country at respectable paces, this is how I breath and it never lets me down. It's all about getting a constant flow of oxygen not flooding yourself with it when by gasping as the damage and starvation to your lungs and muscles has already happened and has hit you hence the need to gasp in the first place

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps breathing techniques could be something for you?
    This. When I used to run, using diaphragmatic breathing worked way better than "regular breathing". It might help you too.