Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Is public education flawed fundamentally?

The biggest issues I have with public education is human nature I think. We tend to hide behind tests these days, I swear a kid in school now in 8 weeks will have twice the tests I did. Soon teachers who have issues connecting to a student pass off projections and titles which is basically picked up by every other student in the class. It's almost like a teachers ability to reach a kid becomes so important to the social norms between the students that if he or she is not reached, the act almost imposes its own form of social structure that is reflected by peer groups. I mean at it's height, it seems to push for Prom King and Queen being something to care about and yet fails to see how it almost cages the students into different peer groups based on the teachers ability to reach the student. You see time and again some gifted student who slipped through the cracks to come back later have to talk about these 3 or 4 public school teachers who passed him off as "slow, unreachable. ADD, any other excuse that leaves me as an awesome teacher and not at fault for this."

What happened to just keeping kids after class or visiting the homes and forcing the child to feel so natural around you that he's forced to open up? Has public education given up? Should we consider remaking the education infrastructure? How far are we from just free education online without a flawed emotional human behind the material that we even pay taxes for?

It's flawed because it's a one-size-fits-them-all type of education. Sure, there are a few exceptions but that's the general problem I believe.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I think you should specify whether you're talking about U.S. education - which I'm assuming you are, since you mention prom kings and queens - or education in general or in some other country, seeing as though education isn't exactly on an equal level all over the world.

This is the U.S education system I'm referring to. I'm not familiar with any other countries education system other then they tend to have better results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    The biggest issues I have with public education is human nature I think. We tend to hide behind tests these days, I swear a kid in school now in 8 weeks will have twice the tests I did. Soon teachers who have issues connecting to a student pass off projections and titles which is basically picked up by every other student in the class. It's almost like a teachers ability to reach a kid becomes so important to the social norms between the students that if he or she is not reached, the act almost imposes its own form of social structure that is reflected by peer groups. I mean at it's height, it seems to push for Prom King and Queen being something to care about and yet fails to see how it almost cages the students into different peer groups based on the teachers ability to reach the student. You see time and again some gifted student who slipped through the cracks to come back later have to talk about these 3 or 4 public school teachers who passed him off as "slow, unreachable. ADD, any other excuse that leaves me as an awesome teacher and not at fault for this."

What happened to just keeping kids after class or visiting the homes and forcing the child to feel so natural around you that he's forced to open up? Has public education given up? Should we consider remaking the education infrastructure? How far are we from just free education online without a flawed emotional human behind the material that we even pay taxes for?
    Love how you included a lot of sources and research to back up your claims...oh, wait. You didn't. It's all a huge IMO, isn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Love how you included a lot of sources and research to back up your claims...oh, wait. You didn't. It's all a huge IMO, isn't it...
    Introspective reflection through the eyes of my friends child. I had no intention to offend you unless you are a teacher who embraces your own selfish desires and pompous attitude. If that is the case, I do see a very real field of study in the failures your subconscious cannot seem to prevent.
    Last edited by God8010; 2013-11-11 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Introspective reflection through the eyes of my friends child. I had no intention to offended you unless you are a teacher who embraces your own selfish desires and pompous attitude. If that is the case, I do see a very real field of study in the failures your subconscious cannot seem to prevent.
    If you want to present your opinion, stress that it is your opinion. If you want to make claims, be prepared to back them up with facts, studies and objective reasoning.

This goes for all discussions.

Public Education has been flawed For a couple reasons. One being teachers aren't paid according to their students Grades with some liberties taken as in just fucking stupid kids. and 2 The fucking Grade on a Curve BULLSHIT. [Speaking about U.S public schools thanks to No child Left Behind act]

If you have 20 minutes what this video. You may have already seen it, it's quite popular

Deleted
    What happened to just keeping kids after class or visiting the homes and forcing the child to feel so natural around you that he's forced to open up?
    Was this ever a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    If you want to present your opinion, stress that it is your opinion. If you want to make claims, be prepared to back them up with facts, studies and objective reasoning.

This goes for all discussions.
    You seem to misunderstand the definition of discussion. In Milton, Vermont reading comprehension at a fifth grade level would easily recognize that everything stated in the opening statement was addressed as opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Was this ever a thing?
    Was for me. Mrs Stinson and Mr Barry had dinner at my house at least once a week.

Deleted
    It's flawed because the schools in my country have a religion class, like the children don't already have enough to learn, let's make them learn the history of the jedi order and the very important events in the Lord of the Rings book.

Introspective reflection through the eyes of my friends child.
    This line doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This line doesn't work.
    Really? Please explain.

Deleted
    Was for me. Mrs Stinson and Mr Barry had dinner at my house at least once a week.
    Sounds weird as hell.

I still don't think education has caught up to the fact that you can teach yourself pretty much anything for free with the internet.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to misunderstand the definition of discussion. In Milton, Vermont reading comprehension at a fifth grade level would easily recognize that everything stated in the opening statement was addressed as opinion.
    Ah, resorting to ad hominem, eh?

We tend to hide behind tests these days, I swear a kid in school now in 8 weeks will have twice the tests I did. Soon teachers who have issues connecting to a student pass off projections and titles which is basically picked up by every other student in the class.
    That looks like an attempt to pass off an opinion as fact to me. But let's put that aside and I'll add my opinion:

-Do you really think that between grading papers, working late nights preparing for lessons and updating themselves on new developments in teaching, teachers want to take the time to eat dinners with all their students too, or do you think that perhaps they are entitled to some time off too? If I were one, I know I'd want to have some time off like everyone else gets. It's a job, not a religious calling.

I continously see people blaming the teachers whenever students fail, but here is the thing: in the old days, the teacher was interesting, and what we learned was interesting, because when I went to school, we didn't fiddle with our mobile phones, or watch TV, or play videogames every free moment. You tell me how a teacher can compete with the latest game, or the newest show on the TV. Because humans are screwed together this way: no matter how bright we are, if something doesn't interest us, we do not learn it.

So I pity the teachers, because they have to compete with a world of entertainment. And that's where the kids live, where their parents put them before they went off to work; in front of the TV and the computer and not in the classroom and the lectures on pythagoras and third-degree equations.

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were advocates for public schooling.
    The problem is, the progressive idiots have hijacked the school systems and the ones they havent, you have got the idiotic bible thumpers installing their own version of lunacy. So as you can see by what I have said the problem with the schools isnt a right or left issues. Its fascism.

I figured text like "I think" would set the tone but apparently I again failed with atmosphere. In agreeing to move on, do I feel grading papers(no child there), working late preparing for lessons(no child there) and updating themselves(again, no child there) that they deserve time to themselves? I think you're trying to shift the problem to the workload and seek pity. I would reply if your current system fails, all the time you spend without the child seems to be a waste of time.

We've blamed children before. We even turned billions on pharmaceuticals in trying to "fix the mind" of your problem children, only to turn certain levels of zombie psychosis. If anything I think we need to attack all this time you spend preparing to fail. The results speak for themselves, your plans have not worked. Why are we continuing with pursuit of lesson plans and packets when many children can only be reached in a more personal and delicate manner? If you value entertainment so much, how can you not see the salves value of the black dinner or people using plague-ridden corpses as the earliest forms of biological warfare? How can you not make this crap entertaining if you as the adult create the child's reality already?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured text like "I think" would set the tone but apparently I again failed with atmosphere. In agreeing to move on, do I feel grading papers(no child there), working late preparing for lessons(no child there) and updating themselves(again, no child there) that they deserve time to themselves? I think you're trying to shift the problem to the workload and seek pity. I would reply if your current system fails, all the time you spend without the child seems to be a waste of time.
    I'll presume that was at my address, though another post came in between. You don't seem to have answered my question, don't you think that teachers, like everyone else, is entitled to time off? Because I can see a LOT of complaints happening if teachers spent time during their work hours eating dinner with their students.

We've blamed children before. We even turned billions on pharmaceuticals in trying to "fix the mind" of your problem children, only to turn certain levels of zombie psychosis. If anything I think we need to attack all this time you spend preparing to fail. The results speak for themselves, your plans have not worked. Why are we continuing with pursuit of lesson plans and packets when many children can only be reached in a more personal and delicate manner? If you value entertainment so much, how can you not see the salves value of the black dinner or people using plague-ridden corpses as the earliest forms of biological warfare? How can you not make this crap entertaining if you as the adult create the child's reality already?!
    Excuse me? "The results speak for themselves, your plans have not worked."? Where did I blame the kids? -I blame society, for placing a greater emphasis on entertainment than knowledge, and I blame the parents for parking the kids in front of the telly instead of talking to them, reading to them and teaching them some value, curiosity and wonder about the world. By the time the teachers get the kids, the parents have had them for at least 5-6 years, and the home situation continues to be where they spend the most time, yet when they don't turn out the way the parents would like them to, it's the teachers fault alone?

Entertainment is chosable, you can watch and do what you want. Lectures are not, so most people who aren't especially interested or motivated will tune out. That's where your problem lies, and teachers can only do so much to change that, so long as the parents and society keeps the kids hooked on games, tv-shows and mobile phones.