Deleted

New survival hunter - need performance tips

Hi all
    I have decided to level up a hunter alt, and after reaching lvl 90 on Saturday, I have reached ilvl 502 last night. Clearly a long way to go though I am running Survival as main spec, with BM as OS. When I am trying LFR's (unfortunatley that is all I cna do at the moment given my gear), I am frequently in groups with other survival hunters who are significantly better geared than me for obvious reasons. In order to measure my performance (since I am a bit of a perfectionist atleast when it comes to dps maximizing), I am normally comparing the following with them (since comparing DPS would be worthless for obvious reasons):
    1) Compare the number of explosive shots
    2) number of serpent sting ticks (on single target or cleave)
    3) number of black arrow ticks
    4) Number of glaive tosses
    5) number of arcane shots (I presume this will be affected by haste etc., so generally don't give this as much attention)

I always try to get the above (especially th eno. of ES) as high as possible. My logic is that ES is unaffected by stats (except for 4-piece I think...dunno if the CD reduction trinket affects it). So the above should be a good way to compare my performance with high geared players (even though LFR setting clearly doesn't mean everyone performing optimally). Is this the right way to go? Or is there something I am missing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdnloaded View Post
    Hi all
    I have decided to level up a hunter alt, and after reaching lvl 90 on Saturday, I have reached ilvl 502 last night. Clearly a long way to go though I am running Survival as main spec, with BM as OS. When I am trying LFR's (unfortunatley that is all I cna do at the moment given my gear), I am frequently in groups with other survival hunters who are significantly better geared than me for obvious reasons. In order to measure my performance (since I am a bit of a perfectionist atleast when it comes to dps maximizing), I am normally comparing the following with them (since comparing DPS would be worthless for obvious reasons):
    1) Compare the number of explosive shots
    2) number of serpent sting ticks (on single target or cleave)
    3) number of black arrow ticks
    4) Number of glaive tosses
    5) number of arcane shots (I presume this will be affected by haste etc., so generally don't give this as much attention)

I always try to get the above (especially th eno. of ES) as high as possible. My logic is that ES is unaffected by stats (except for 4-piece I think...dunno if the CD reduction trinket affects it). So the above should be a good way to compare my performance with high geared players (even though LFR setting clearly doesn't mean everyone performing optimally). Is this the right way to go? Or is there something I am missing?
    ..... no
    RTFM btw
    just use ES on cd
    use BA on cd
    keep your SrS up
    use arcane as filler (Depends on spec)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrimjaw View Post
    ..... no
    RTFM btw
    just use ES on cd
    use BA on cd
    keep your SrS up
    use arcane as filler (Depends on spec)
    Not sure whether you have read the post, but that is exactly what I am doing. Clearly if everyone was equally proficient at using ES on CD's, there wouldn't be massive variations across players in number of ES's over a fight (ignoring 4-piece)

Unfortunately there are a number of things that will muddle those numbers.

The number of ES ticks will be impacted heavily by 4pc and LnL luck to some degree, and the way the ticks overwrite and roll into each other won't tell you the whole story.
    The number of BA ticks will be different if someone is using the Assurance of Consequences trinket, which reduces the CD on BA enough that it's possble to keep 100% uptime.
    GT hits with both glaives in each direction, so if someone is hitting adds with it they will get a lot more 'hits' (though the secondary damage won't be very high)
    The number of AS hits will depend on haste, 2pc and AoC for more rapid fire uptime, 4pc for more globals spent on free ES's and your choice of talents in the TotH, Fervor, DB tier (TotH should have more than fervor should have more than DB).

Comparing buff and debuff uptimes in Skada can be useful (trinkets, RF, Fervor, BA, SrS, Expl stuff like that).

I think by far the best way to improve is to record yourself playing with FRAPS or Dxtory or something (I recently switched to Dxtory with x264 codec and highly recommend it). Ensure you know exactly what you should be doing in theory (spell priorities etc), then record yourself hitting the dummy for a while and see what you can improve. Then do the same in a raid and see how optimal you can play while being distracted by boss mechanics.
    You'll be suprised how many little mistakes you are making when you watch yourself play, and it's a good idea to modify your UI to try and help those areas.
    For example, I noticed that I wasn't always firing GT and Kill Shot on CD when shit was getting crazy in execute range on progression fights, so I made a weakaura to flash when they come off CD.
    If you're having trouble with dot uptime or focus management then rework your UI to put those things in the center of your vision.
    You get the idea, hope that helps.

TL;DR - Comparing those numbers isn't very useful unless you have similar gear or take a lot of variables into account. Better off focusing on your own play.
    Last edited by mediic; 2013-11-12 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    Unfortunately there are a number of things that will muddle those numbers.

The number of ES ticks will be impacted heavily by 4pc and LnL luck to some degree, and the way the ticks overwrite and roll into each other won't tell you the whole story.
    The number of BA ticks will be different if someone is using the Assurance of Consequences trinket, which reduces the CD on BA enough that it's possble to keep 100% uptime.
    GT hits with both glaives in each direction, so if someone is hitting adds with it they will get a lot more 'hits' (though the secondary damage won't be very high)
    The number of AS hits will depend on haste, 2pc and AoC for more rapid fire uptime, 4pc for more globals spent on free ES's and your choice of talents in the TotH, Fervor, DB tier (TotH should have more than fervor should have more than DB).

Comparing buff and debuff uptimes in Skada can be useful (trinkets, RF, Fervor, BA, SrS, Expl stuff like that).

I think by far the best way to improve is to record yourself playing with FRAPS or Dxtory or something (I recently switched to Dxtory with x264 codec and highly recommend it). Ensure you know exactly what you should be doing in theory (spell priorities etc), then record yourself hitting the dummy for a while and see what you can improve. Then do the same in a raid and see how optimal you can play while being distracted by boss mechanics.
    You'll be suprised how many little mistakes you are making when you watch yourself play, and it's a good idea to modify your UI to try and help those areas.
    For example, I noticed that I wasn't always firing GT and Kill Shot on CD when shit was getting crazy in execute range on progression fights, so I made a weakaura to flash when they come off CD.
    If you're having trouble with dot uptime or focus management then rework your UI to put those things in the center of your vision.
    You get the idea, hope that helps.
    Thanks for the helpful post
    1)Yes regarding the ES you are very right. If someone has 4 piece, obviously its impossible to compare ES. I am normally checking whether th eother hunter(s) have 4 piece anyway I guess RNG on LnL won't generally imply someone getting half the number of ES as someone else? I am tryign to stay in upper range compared to other more geared hunters to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.
    2) Didn't knwo BA was affected by the trinket. I guess as long as my uptime is close to 83% I should be OK
    3) GT in cleave fights is interesting since it tells me if I am not positioning myself correctly. I do see your point of course
    4) As for AS, yeah this is why I don't normally look a this very closely since there are too many factors there

Good idea about FRAPS...will try. Already made weak auras for GT, DB and AmoC, sinc eI find it difficult to kepe up sometimes. SO many siren sounds nowadays while playing as a result

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdnloaded View Post
    Not sure whether you have read the post, but that is exactly what I am doing. Clearly if everyone was equally proficient at using ES on CD's, there wouldn't be massive variations across players in number of ES's over a fight (ignoring 4-piece)
    the no was meant for the very last question

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrimjaw View Post
    the no was meant for the very last question
    Ah OK THE RTFM comment didn't help clarify that point!