Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    My fist 60% speed mount wasn't very special to me. It was my class mount which I got by basically doing nothing (paladin).

What WAS special was the epic class mount 100% speed. That was some quest and you needed to be either very lucky or have loads of cash. I got lucky in the end and got that Black Pristine Diamond that had like a less then 1% droprate or something. Very annoying. But when I finally completed the quest... I was so psyched I could not sleep.
    Same here, only I didn;t get lucky I saved all the gold I could....forget gear and raiding, I wanted that mount! (mainly because it was still cheaper than buying a new mount outright)
    Getting a group of other paladins also on that quest and once completed we each went outside and drove our new horsies around like crazy.

IT. WAS. EPIC.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Yeah I remember. My first ever character - Troll Hunter, with skinning and minning, running with aspect of cheetah until 46.

But this was nothing compared to 60% flying mount. Being able to take off after hours of grinding. I'm too spoiled now. ;/

10+ Year Old Account
    I do remember it well...
    But i remember more my first epic mount. I farmed leather in Wailing Caverns for the leatherworking twink belt for weeks. The place hates me now.

It was pretty damn great. I was lvl 40, and my friends helped me fund the Kodo I had so long looked to get. All of a sudden everything felt like going through a speeding time machine. Even more so when I got the epic mount at lvl 60, I never got one during Vanilla though since I could never afford it.

Getting my first flying mount was a bit more underwhelming. I think it was 60% flying mount back then, but they got buffed in speed in a patch later on. Still, it didn't feel as great as I imagined, just felt like swimming, but in the air. The experience of getting my first 280% flying mount is quite different though, that's when it finally felt great, especially considering I had gotten my Time-Lost Proto-Drake right before I bought the speed buff. Yes, I caught TLPD with the slowest possible flying mount, and without NPCscan too.

However, nothing will match trying to fund that damn lvl 40 mount, the satisfaction was through the roof. Would I want it to be like that again? Hell no. But it was fun for its time.

Yep I remember. I was doing a pug group for Scarlet Monastery, loooong before the days of LFG. I didn't have enough $ for a mount, so the people in the pug offered to pay. I ended up making three great friends that day that I maintained relationships with for damn near 5 years.

I got to rank10 and purchased a Saber on my human before I had enough funds for a faction specific mount. A thousand gold was quite a large sum of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    It was pretty damn great. I was lvl 40, and my friends helped me fund the Kodo I had so long looked to get. All of a sudden everything felt like going through a speeding time machine. Even more so when I got the epic mount at lvl 60, I never got one during Vanilla though since I could never afford it.

Getting my first flying mount was a bit more underwhelming. I think it was 60% flying mount back then, but they got buffed in speed in a patch later on. Still, it didn't feel as great as I imagined, just felt like swimming, but in the air. The experience of getting my first 280% flying mount is quite different though, that's when it finally felt great, especially considering I had gotten my Time-Lost Proto-Drake right before I bought the speed buff. Yes, I caught TLPD with the slowest possible flying mount, and without NPCscan too.

However, nothing will match trying to fund that damn lvl 40 mount, the satisfaction was through the roof. Would I want it to be like that again? Hell no. But it was fun for its time.
    Yeah, after going from 100 ground mount to 60 fly, I felt like I was moving through molasses. It was changed to 150 for slow flying sometime around 3.2 patch.

Stood in the Fire Constellation's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember my first mount, had a few 40-50 characters before I reached level 60 in Vanilla, but I do remember my very first epic mount, and oh my god how happy I was! I think, 1 month of constant 15 hrs max daily grind in Tyr's Hand in Eastern Plaguelands to get my epic mount, I was so happy. I felt like a champion! Probably was the best feeling next to downing a boss that my guild was stuck on forever.

40 mount was some chestnut horse from elwynn lumber camp. I got epic in vanilla as well. That was a lot of stratholme runs after raid to get enough righteous orbs to turn into crusader enchants.

I made my gold for the lvl 40 mount by selling speed pots (had to grind for the pattern in loch modan). I also had to grind from 39-40 in swamp of sorrows on the treelurkers since that was the fastest way to level for that bracket. Bought the black stallion from Theramore. That one is still my favorite mount. Good times.

i remember preparing toon after toon with the gold needed to buy my mounts... my first one didn't get the gold for the mount till level 48, but I made sure I had the gold for level 60 as soon as I hit it.

I remember getting my first mount at lvl 40. It was pretty awesome. And then my Pally charger....that was one of the most amazing things I ever did in the game. Doing the Scholo part with a party of only paladins, seal weaving like crazy, it was just pure awesomesauce.

However, it all started being horrible for my alts. I'm very happy that Blizz changed things. Mounts were exciting the first time around because everything was so new in the game. Running for 5 minutes across zones for quests was not that bad the first time around. But not the second, third, fourth, fifth, etc....

My first mount was the Paladin Class Mount, got it at level 40. It felt so good to get that horse, was riding around for hours. lol XD

Yes I remember getting my Felsteed and actually having to do a quest for it which got me to explore more parts of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you remember when you got your first mount?
    Totally, that horse was pretty damn special at one time! I remember seeing the two horses standing (by the blacksmith building?) in Goldshire, wondering how and WHEN can I have one. Then that day came when a friend and I, both new players, hit 20 and got to run on foot clear down to that logging camp (or whatever it was) to pick out our pretty horses.

I don't think I even knew yet that flying mounts even existed, since you couldn't fly in the old zones and I hadn't seen any. When I did find out, that was a little painful waiting lol, and was even more amazing getting that finally and being able to fly! And finding out I COULD have one of those Gryphons for my very own.

It's kind of amazing how they've allowed all the special things in wow to not feel special anymore
    Well, I'm not sure I'd agree that they've "allowed" anything or not in terms of specialness, can't help what people get used to. It's hard to match those first experiences or replicate that feeling. Although if the next expansion has a new world (ok, an old world but at a newer time) then people going there, building a house, etc.. yeah, I'm sure there will be some in that until it, too, is old news.

Deleted
    yea I was 15 years old and there was this girl and.... oh aahh you mean..... lol soz, I thought you meant......

I don't remember the first one very well, think it was the violet raptor, but I do remember my second mount. I got the Ivory raptor at lvl 60 quite awhile before the updated models and pretty quickly after the game came out. I don't remember the grind for money, think I did mostly winterspring and dungeons, mining ore etc... but I will never forget that mount. I'm not subbed right now but I always ride it when I am, I remember others that traded in their ivory raptor for the armor version and then fairly quickly regretted it. Glad I kept that thing and glad they added the ability to use it on alts, looks awesome on my orc, tauren and undead chars.

Deleted
    "Oh. I can ride a horse now. Okay."

I was a level 44 tauren warrior with less than 40g. Through begging and buying gold (which wasn't as frowned upon as it is now) I managed to buy the 60% mount. I remember being really happy because I would get laughed at for not having a mount. I also never bought a flying mount at 70 or 80. Needless to say I was pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember getting my epic frostsaber quite well. Think it was the frostsaber, the blue epic one from the night elf vendors in Darnassus. Took me 3 months of saving, it was 60 gold or so. A lot of gold back then. This was july 2005. It was awesome though, I only regret not getting the one that's not available anymore.

As years go by you get a lot of more mounts and the value of that very first epic cat diminishes. Too bad actually, but it is what it is.
    I do ride it at times, when I don't feel like use flying mounts.