Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I remember getting my first Epic mount, I grinded out the reputation for the Nightelves (Was human at the time) so I could get the Swift Stormsaber. Once I hit 60... was a happy moment lol.
    ~Every fight is a food fight when your undead~

A crappy horse in the beginning of BC. It was sweet. Those times of grinding up for a mount or for blacksmithing weapons, good times. I wish WoW would bring back different weapon categories like axes, swords and maces again. Truly a time when weapons were amazing. Times have changed though, so it's understandable.

Yes it was a slow lvl 40 kodo, I was so happy!

Man... that 100g was sooo much :/

i think i got my first mount at lvl50ish

i do remember what mount i got first but not sure which colour in my head (will know when i see it)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal mount, level 46 i think in Vanilla.

Got some plate boots, mug'thols helm and some spear first lol.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a SS of it!

It was taken in 2006, but I didn't post it until I found it a year later.

Yes I had an ammo bag (and others) full of the good stuff, and I was around 45 here I do believe.

Just barely (it was an emerald raptor), but that's because 60% mount wasn't that big of an upgrade from Ghost Wolf which I do remember getting quite well.

Deleted
    Ahhh my beautiful grey kodo.... Then my black war kodo!

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall getting my first mount. It was one of the Hawkstriders from the Livery outside of Silvermoon. I honestly didn't like them, at the time, as I had this thing in my head about Chocobos and wanting one of those instead. (Yeah, blame my having played FF8, 9 and X for that one.) Since, they have grown on me, and I actually like squawking at people while on one.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    I do. Back in the day, think it was level 40 for normal ground?
    Yes, it was level 40.

Seeing this reminded me of my most infamous rep-grind ever. My original guild leader wanted both my wife and me to get our racial mounts for 'ease of travel' when guiding us around the world. (He was level cap for the time, level 70, and we were just hitting 40.) My wife loves wolves, and I wanted a wolf (technically worg) mount from Orgrimmar as well. So we set off trying to gain rep with Orgrimmar. She was on her Blood Elf Paladin, I playing an Undead Priest for this adventure. We exhausted all the cloth turn-in jazz and quest rep ups until we were left with but one option for rep and not just power-leveling to cap.. Chen's Empty Keg (the quest). We spent hours, days, weeks roaming through the Barrens blasting the mobs we needed to so as to gather the ingredients for this turn-in. Going from somewhere in.. Honored I think we were when we started.. to Exhalted with Orgrimmar via repeatedly doing this quest. The day, hour and minute we managed to hit exhalted, we hauled ass for Crossroads and flew to Orgrimmar via flightpath. Purchases made, mountspecials aplenty, and celebration ensued. Of course, we managed to piss off that guild leader because we got the rep and mounts before level cap (he 'had to wait.) Later, that became a bonus for us after leaving that guild behind.

Afterward, up until the eventual removal of the quest, every time I saw that damned keg lying out on the ground in Barrens.. I wanted to smash the hell out of it and run.

#FlightIsImportant

Deleted
    Another vanilla-was-better-because-everything-was-a-long-and-stupid-grind post. MMOC was better when there was less complaining about everything, oh wait...

Deleted
    It was the black striped Night Elf one. I remember my first level 60 mount more though because I bought the Alterac Ram with AV tokens to save money on the vendor and my first real WoW friend helped me buy riding, long since lost contact with them now though, I still have fond memories.

Edit: I also got the 40 one really late because I spent too much on the auction house to PvP, so I mostly got around with aspect of the cheetah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roest View Post
    Another vanilla-was-better-because-everything-was-a-long-and-stupid-grind post. MMOC was better when there was less complaining about everything, oh wait...
    Is it too difficult to just let people recall their fondest memories in peace?
    Last edited by mmoca0dbd288a6; 2013-11-13 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roest View Post
    I delight in the irony of this post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Is it too difficult to just let people recall their fondest memories in peace?
    Not if it's a badly veiled Blizzard bashing

...It's kind of amazing how they've allowed all the special things in wow to not feel special anymore...

Not the very first one, which must have been a generic raptor for my troll, but I remember my second mount, which was my first epic mount and it was a Kodo. In Classic WoW, that was a big deal, as getting exalted with a different faction for their mount took a lot runecloth and gold, which was quite hard to come by. I grinded for weeks on the Yetis in Winterspring, who dropped both gold and runecloth at the time. I'm still proud of that Kodo, even though it means nothing for newer players, who get exalted with the other home factions by sneezing at them.

Deleted
    There was no riding skill back then, only mounts. Good times.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes the first mount! At that point it was actually my third character! I'd rage quit and deleted my first ever character. Then made my undead warlock - Nurgle! got him to about 36 and decided I wanted a healer. I went up to my housemates room (as he was the one who got me into WoW and seemed godly with his level 54 Undead Warrior) And asked about healers. I quite liked the idea of Taurens, because shoulder armour looked so awesome, and Taurens had the biggest shoulders! Plus who wouldn't want to be a fucking minotaur?!

So my housemate explained the relatively small amount he knew about healers. Priests were the best healers, but I couldn't have a Tauren Priest, this upset me, but he soon told me that Druids were also great healers, and could change forms and do all this other cool stuff. Before long Hobb was created. I started playing him on the friday evening, and I played non stop all weekend before he actually overtook my Warlock. And thus my Tauren Druid became my main! On the Monday Night I hit 40 (I leveled as Resto, using resto gear, killing things in Cat form...) and brought my first mount, a majestic Kodo!

I slowly levelled to 60, always as resto in resto gear, I soon found dungeons were quicker as I could heal, rather than trying to kitty cat things to death in intellect and spirit gear...

Once I got to 60 there was so much to do, guilds happened, 5 mans happened, UBRS happened and I worked my way up to MC/ZG and beyond! All the while dreaming of oneday being able to afford the elusive epic mount. I found a nice niche in the marked for selling leather, 2 friends of mine who were fairly high level raiders recruited me to heal them through Sunken Temple, I'd heal and between the Hunter and Mage would kill everything, I'd then skin everything and we'd sell all the loots and the leathers.

But it actually wasn't until just before TBC came out and the change in the PvP system, there was a small overlap between the 2 systems, and suddenly I could use all the AV tokens I'd saved up to buy the Frostwolf Mount! As all the cost was still on the mount rather than having to buy the skill, I effectively got the mount for free...

Suddenly I could ride like the wind! But always felt that as cool as the Frostwolf was, it looked silly being a huge Tauren sat upon it (was before mount scaling) But soon the riding system changed to seperate skills and mounts and I could afford a more suitable looking Epic Kodo!

Deleted
    I was level 46 when I bought my first kodo. I couldn't afford the 100g it took to learn it at 40. Luckily I had Ghost Wolf and got around abit like that atleast.
    My first dragon was one of the Netherwing Drakes. I was pretty excited to get one, but I ended up only using it for a couple of days before getting annoyed by its size.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    it was magical, mounts were like... WOW...
    Yes, it was epic. I remember farming for the Savory Deviate Delight recipe which, back then, was rather rare - took me like 1K kills. Then I fished up like 100 deviate fish, cooked and sold em to get enough to buy my mount and riding skill

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    It's kind of amazing how they've allowed all the special things in wow to not feel special anymore .. sure eveyrone wants and the temptation is to please them by making it easier to get, but doing so really devalues the thing,and to be honest you keep losing the things that make you special beacuse they're trivial.
    The devaluation of these "special" things has nothing to do with Blizzard. It's how you have changed. In effect you have acclimated to using mounts. The sense of newness and wonderment is only possible because it was something you had never experienced before. By living those experiences we end up losing the ability to experience them in the same way again.

Take a new player to the game who hasn't experienced anything like it and they will experience something similar....

Yes i do, and i accidently sold it back before i could even ride it! Back then i got 10g, so i lost 90g in that misstake and couldnt get a new mount for several more days! it sucked

Deleted
    My very first character was a dwarf hunter; I got my mount at 43 and my epic mount after having sold the Ace of Elementals* (I've been quite lucky)

On my second character, which is still my main, I got my normal mount around 42 and a Frostwolf Howler as my epic mount. I tried to reach rank 11 but stopped at 9, back then there was a lot of competition on my server and I wasn't part of a premade.

* For those who don't know, the Ace of Elementals was needed to create a very powerful trinket called Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom. I didn't know how rare that item was until I put it in the AH and saw people fighting over it; I looked it up on Thottbot, realized I was selling it for a rather low price, took it off the AH and put it again with a much higher price. I sold it nonetheless!