Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    the idiocy in this thread is astounding.

I don't know if you noticed but over 10,000 people have died. That's 3 9/11's.

Does it matter what flag they fly or anything, fuck patriotism, fuck racism, just help each other out ffs.
    Last edited by mmoc94af1e4c54; 2013-11-14 at 01:49 PM. Reason: venting

Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    I do see myself in this thread as a heartless bastard. It's just a tad too chummy and we should at least understand our capitalist push for self interest has left billions in a position that one storm can just about wipe out the culture. So rebuild it all you want, but that trip to the mall to buy shirts you never needed left some dirty old men milking a culture and hiding from taxes. Hell I bet land value dropped and certain groups who already evade taxes find new property investments.

Unity? sure. Blind unity? Typical.
    So you're upset at capitalist tax-evaders, and therefore, completely unrelated people in the Philipenes do not deserve help?

What kind of logic is that?

No, seriously: Your reason for not wanting to help those people started out as 'they're practically cavemen anyway' to 'who needs sweatshops' to 'I hate capitalism.' NONE of that relates to the Philipenes!

I do see myself in this thread as a heartless bastard. It's just a tad too chummy and we should at least understand our capitalist push for self interest has left billions in a position that one storm can just about wipe out the culture.
    Are you shitting me? You think capitalism is why the Philippines is poor? I could buy an argument that imperialism impoverished them, or at least have that discussion, but the idea that countries are poor because we buy things from them is absolutely absurd.

They were not obligated to give any help at all. So don't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you shitting me? You think capitalism is why the Philippines is poor? I could buy an argument that imperialism impoverished them, or at least have that discussion, but the idea that countries are poor because we buy things from them is absolutely absurd.
    well, countries are poor because we make things in them. If living standard that suppose to rise naturally due to foreign investment even begins to happens, corporations threaten to move production into a different country. Results in Gov't keeping the prices of labor down by breaking up strikes. Natural process of capitalism gets broken through corporate manupulation. Take U.S. for example, How did living standard improve in the U.S.? Did it improve by increasing wages of manual workers or by moving their manufacturing industry overseas, and replacing with another industry? If a nation has to rely on manufacturing it will never improve.

How much did OP donate?
    Hi

I love how people like to streamline problems. As if we can solve for A, next we solve for B, next we solve for C.

To hell with the equation when A, B and C are directly related to one another. They might be grateful for our trade but you're a liar if you wish to pretend we don't know better. Most if not all of these shops are inspected by regulations officials, only after problem people are removed and the rest are beaten into giving the answers we're suppose to hear. A mass of people grateful to be one step above starving.

This game has grown old and you cannot expect pity from our middle to poor class when our 1% created the problem to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caylis View Post
    Isn't the US in a tonne of debt?? so where the hell does it get $20m from to give to someone else?
    This is my issue as well. We have enough of our own debt, we dont need to be giving to others. Also, when is the last time the Phillipines ever gave us a nickle when we had disasters. Let them pay for it themselves. They shouldve had insurance

Deleted
    100.000 bucks or nothing? Yeah... thought so

Deleted
    TBH whats 20Mill for the US? Thats not even 10cents per citizen. Those values are all pretty pathetic, i would expect min 10-50 times as much for it to be meaningful...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Still amazes me that 2 pieces of art have sold over the past couple days for around £150m together and yet this is all countries can cough up.
    Yeah, it amazes me that anyone would pay more more than about 5 bucks for any picture. Most of those expensive paintings look like a 5 year old painted them anyway. People waste so much money on stuff that serves no purpose other than to look at. Such a waste of money.

I love how people like to streamline problems. As if we can solve for A, next we solve for B, next we solve for C.

To hell with the equation when A, B and C are directly related to one another. They might be grateful for our trade but you're a liar if you wish to pretend we don't know better. Most if not all of these shops are inspected by regulations officials, only after problem people are removed and the rest are beaten into giving the answers we're suppose to hear. A mass of people grateful to be one step above starving.

This game has grown old and you cannot expect pity from our middle to poor class when our 1% created the problem to begin with.
    Yeah, so let them die.

Right?

Being angry at the world is no justification for not wanting to make things better. In contrast, it should be a justification for the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Yeah, so let them die.

Right?

Being angry at the world is no justification for not wanting to make things better. In contrast, it should be a justification for the opposite.
    I never said let em die, most are dying or dead by now. The stink should be in full effect.

I'm saying have a clue what your money already has been doing there and be very clear how you plan to "help" them this time. Your blind faith in human compassion makes you a tool to those you fund.

I never said let em die, most are dying or dead by now. The stink should be in full effect.

I'm saying have a clue what your money already has been doing there and be very clear how you plan to "help" them this time. Your blind faith in human compassion makes you a tool to those you fund.
    The irony is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    The irony is delicious.
    Yes. the box you live in that believes it sees the lid on my box is in no way ever trapped inside a much bigger box.

Fox and the grapes, right?

The irony is that you are angry at the world. The world is a bad place, etcetera.
    And that is your reason for opposing any and all attempts at making it a better place.

I'm not as naive as you make me out to be. Honestly. But you do it in order to feel vindicated about not giving a shit.

Deleted
    remember when the USA helped Haiti? out of a dollar you know how many cents went back to USA? 99 cent per each dollar

You're projecting on me, which is fine but wrong and also a horrible habit. If I truly didn't care, I'd never have opened this thread.

Let me guess, you think hate and love are extreme differences. Yet you have to love to feel hate, otherwise it's just contempt.

Try projecting on a weaker mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Really?
    The U.S. has promised $20 million in aid for victims of Supertyphoon Haiyan in the Philippines and has mobilized an aircraft carrier for the relief effort. Britain is also sending a warship and has pledged $16 million. The Vatican is dispatching $4 million, Japan $10 million and New Zealand $1.7 million.

http://world.time.com/2013/11/13/chi...100000-in-aid/
    Also note it's 20 million the US doesn't have. MAybe China is staying within their budget? Instead of throwing money we don't have at every little thing that happens in the world.

*Philippines: Offered to send a 25-member team of aid workers. The Philippines Red Cross donated $25,000.

That is what the Philippines sent to The United States after Hurricane Katrina. I know the severity of the two storms is quite different, as the entire country was hit by this typhoon, but as someone else said in this post, our country is already HEAVILY in debt to other countries. I think it is only reasonable for a country to offer what it can actually afford. While 20m is "pocketchange" as someone else said in this post, its still 20m. I think it would be equally reasonable to send volunteer relief efforts from various organizations in our country that would be more than happy to provide manual labor to help rebuild what has been destroyed. 20m is 20m and when a country (or anyone) is in debt, its assets should be used in a reasonable manner. There are PLENTY of charities or other beneficial organizations that could use 20m (or any fraction of that) to do better in our own country.

While I'm not posting this to downplay what the Philippines did for us in our time of need, I feel they offered and sent what they could, and it is MORE than appreciated. This is more for our country extending its hand to help someone in need when we ourselves are in a time of need. Help yourself before you help someone else.

*Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ricane_Katrina