1. #1

    Is there any statistical difference between pets?

    Will be returning to Azeroth soon, and planning on making a hunter this time around. As I researched all the various pet choices, I haven't seen anyone mention the statistical advantage of using one pet over another. I haven't been subbed since 2011, but I seem to remember a bear, for example, having more innate HP than a ravager. Is there such a difference between pets, or are their abilities all the difference I need concern myself with? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Now that you can change your pet's spec, the abilities are the only thing that matters.

  3. #3
    That's good to hear, thanks again.

  4. #4
    High Overlord aceventura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Timeless isle
    Posts
    177
    Only pet spec will afect your dps, so you can chose freely based on your favourite looks and raid buffs that needed for your raid group or CC that you found more helpfull in pvp.

  5. #5
    lvling i always used a wolf, the 5% crit was very nice to have. even at 90 i only use 5 pets and that is for the buffs they provide the grp. cat for mastery, hyena for the attack speed, sporebat for spell haste (i think), wolf for the 5% crit and i have a plainswalker thingy for the armor debuff if all buffs are covered

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by aceventura View Post
    Only pet spec will afect your dps, so you can chose freely based on your favourite looks and raid buffs that needed for your raid group or CC that you found more helpfull in pvp.
    using a spider for its web ability will not boost your dps where using a wolf for 5% crit or hyena for the attack speed would. so their buffs can effect your dps more often solo then in grps where buffs can be covered by others

  6. #6
    I carry a cat, wolf, serpent, sporebat and raptor. They cover the buffs/debuffs most often lacking in a raid or instance. I use my raptor most of the time, with the sporebat taking second seat.

    Lich king: Wolf has an ability that grants the hunter AP to increase the hunter's DPS by like 3% or something over other pets! (Blizzard said this was unbalanced and drastically changed the pet system)

    MoP: If you aren't using the pet with the optimal buff then your entire raid will probably lose about 5% damage. (Blizzard says this is balanced and adds to the hunter class)

    /facepalm

    But ya, take whatever pet has the buff/debuff your raid needs. Otherwise if you are BM, use a spirit beast, and if you are MM/SV use a raptor to stack up armor reduc faster and make it so your rogue/feral doesn't have to.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I carry a cat, wolf, serpent, sporebat and raptor. They cover the buffs/debuffs most often lacking in a raid or instance. I use my raptor most of the time, with the sporebat taking second seat.

    Lich king: Wolf has an ability that grants the hunter AP to increase the hunter's DPS by like 3% or something over other pets! (Blizzard said this was unbalanced and drastically changed the pet system)

    MoP: If you aren't using the pet with the optimal buff then your entire raid will probably lose about 5% damage. (Blizzard says this is balanced and adds to the hunter class)

    /facepalm

    But ya, take whatever pet has the buff/debuff your raid needs. Otherwise if you are BM, use a spirit beast, and if you are MM/SV use a raptor to stack up armor reduc faster and make it so your rogue/feral doesn't have to.
    Raptor is NOT an option:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/raptor.html
    1 debuff every 6 sec.. single target..

    Use tallstrider instead:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/tallstrider.html
    Applies all 3 debuffs at once.. AOE: 10y range..

    Yes, i know - it looks ugly.. but aoe armor reduction, 3 stacks at once - it is amazing!
    I just made you a better hunter.
    ---

    I use: sporebat(5% spellhaste), revager(4% physical vulnerability), raptor(12% weakened armor), hyena(10% attack speed), wind serpent(5% magic vulnerability).
    Rarely i have to change them for wolf(5% crit) or cat(3k mastery).

    And since i love the ability to switch from bm to surv as i please, i don't carry any exotic beast with me.
    Last edited by Paladzins; 2013-11-19 at 07:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladzins View Post
    Raptor is NOT an option:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/raptor.html
    1 debuff every 6 sec.. single target..

    Use tallstrider instead:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/tallstrider.html
    Applies all 3 debuffs at once.. AOE: 10y range..

    Yes, i know - it looks ugly.. but aoe armor reduction, 3 stacks at once - it is amazing!
    I just made you a better hunter.
    ---

    I use: sporebat(5% spellhaste), revager(4% physical vulnerability), raptor(12% weakened armor), hyena(10% attack speed), wind serpent(5% magic vulnerability).
    Rarely i have to change them for wolf(5% crit) or cat(3k mastery).

    And since i love the ability to switch from bm to surv as i please, i don't carry any exotic beast with me.
    You write that raptor is not an option and later you say you use it as a pet, don't follow your own advice?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladzins View Post
    Use tallstrider instead:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/tallstrider.html
    Applies all 3 debuffs at once.. AOE: 10y range..

    Yes, i know - it looks ugly.. but aoe armor reduction, 3 stacks at once - it is amazing!
    I just made you a better hunter.
    Excuse me, in what way is the tallstrider ugly:P!?
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
    Website: http://www.guilesthemesong.wowlaunch.com
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

  10. #10
    This!

    Not sure why it instantly linked, when asked about pet differences...


    P.S - Sporebat has an invisible statistical edge...


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladzins View Post
    Raptor is NOT an option:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/raptor.html
    1 debuff every 6 sec.. single target..

    Use tallstrider instead:
    http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/tallstrider.html
    Applies all 3 debuffs at once.. AOE: 10y range..


    Yes, i know - it looks ugly.. but aoe armor reduction, 3 stacks at once - it is amazing!
    I just made you a better hunter.
    ---

    I use: sporebat(5% spellhaste), revager(4% physical vulnerability), raptor(12% weakened armor), hyena(10% attack speed), wind serpent(5% magic vulnerability).
    Rarely i have to change them for wolf(5% crit) or cat(3k mastery).

    And since i love the ability to switch from bm to surv as i please, i don't carry any exotic beast with me.
    I use the Tallstrider, it is awesome..

    I Carry around a Wolf, Tallstrider, Hyena, Sporebat and a Ravager.. However, I change them around sometimes to try stuff and whatnot, but that is mainly what I go with.
    ''Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.''

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,202
    I carry wolf, tallstrider, hyena, sporebat, and right now, dragonhawk (for CoE), because we always had a frost DK for 4% vuln (one of the harder ones to get, imo). But he's quit, so I'm thinking I might swap out the dragonhawk for my ravager.

  13. #13
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8
    If we have all raidbuffs/debuffs I am using a cat, because of the 20% damage boost for first attack from stealth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •