View Poll Results: Is our Guild's name <DEAD SEXY> ok?

Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • Yes, it's fine and wouldn't stop me from joining

23 41.82%
  • No, it bothers me and would stop me from joining

32 58.18%

Our guild is having troubles recruiting - question about name (with poll if I can)

So basically, a guild I joined a little while ago is 25 man and having troubles with attendance. The GM has been looking like crazy on and off server for help filling spots, and we have had to take in a couple pretty bad players the last 2 weeks or so, which has really hindered our progression. In an effort to try and pinpoint exactly why people don't seem interested in joining our guild, I want to ask some questions about the guild's name:
    <DEAD SEXY>

Does this name appeal to you in any way?
    If progression is what interests you, would you look at this guild seriously?
    If there were two guilds with the same level of progression, would the name of each guild help you choose a home?
    Does the name reflect your imagined maturity level of the guild?

TLDR - our guild is named DEAD SEXY and I want to know if anyone thinks that could be hindering recruitment.

I'm going to include a poll, but if you have the time, if you could answer my questions above, I'd appreciate it.

Deleted
    I don't think the name has much to do with it. My guild was called "beat your meat before you eat" and we did fine : /

I'd probably just look at the progression if I was seriously considering moving my main. That being said if it were a less serious toon of mine I'd probably just assume that its a guild that I personally wouldn't want to be a part of just due to the name itself.

I usually avoid guilds with all caps in their name. Gives me the feeling they need to have attention... But then again, i dont speak for everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Strangely enough the name is something I consider when looking for a guild (haven't SERIOUSLY had to look for a guild in a while...like 2011). I think the order of merit I look at is Progression > Server Population > Guild Name > Faction.

Personally that name doesn't bother me, but there are some strange people in this World (of Warcraft) who might be put off by it.

If I was searching for a guild for progression reasons the name really doesn't matter. But if it were for any other reason I would say no, not because of the name but because the name is in all caps.

Deleted
    Would be fine if it wasn't in caps. Making it in caps is just trying too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally the only thing that matters to me is progression and if I like the guys in the guild if it was called something idiotic.

How come I can only find one guild with the name Dead Sexy and it's a lvl 1 guild with 39 toons in it but none are lvl 90?

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of it, I would join if the guild was chill. Guild names aren't a huge deal to me, but they do matter. The name of my favorite guild was <Scotch and Waffles>
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    It's kind of dorky I don't know if it would cause me to not join though.

ALL CAPS is ridiculous.

The guild name is important. I refused to join friends back in BC, because their guild name was called Lootylicious. We all ended up raiding together later on in a different guild. I have my own prejudices against certain guild names, so it's safe to assume others do too.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    For me the name is probably the number one factor in deciding to join a guild. That name is something that you'll see on your screen every time you play and something others will see as well. If I don't like a guild's name, I will not join them no matter how good they are.

To answer your question specifically, your guild name would definitely stop me from joining because it's all caps and very slightly vulgar.

All caps, cry for attention... nope would not join,

Deleted
    Guild name means nothing. There are guilds with shitty names but are high progressed. Just check out the first few pages on top guilds on wowprogress.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    How come I can only find one guild with the name Dead Sexy and it's a lvl 1 guild with 39 toons in it but none are lvl 90?
    OP didn't mention that the guild name has an accent mark over the E in Sexy.
    <DEAD SÈXY> on the Dalaran server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    <DEAD SEXY>

Does this name appeal to you in any way?
    It doesn't appeal to me, no, though if your GM is undead and you have some undead theme about you I'd quite like that and find it appealing. It doesn't actively turn me off either.

If progression is what interests you, would you look at this guild seriously?
    Of course.

If there were two guilds with the same level of progression, would the name of each guild help you choose a home?
    Yours wouldn't put me off joining you at all; if the other guild had a really awesome name or really terrible name it would make a difference, but yours wouldn't.

Does the name reflect your imagined maturity level of the guild?
    I assume you're predominantly males, late secondary school to first couple of years university age group, maybe a token dodgy 40 year old who still lives with his mother and is, if not GM, That Guy you can't ever get rid of. But that describes 90% of WoW guilds, so...

Also, if you're going to go with bad pun names, ALL CAPS works. Edit: But accents don't. Boo, bad guild name, be ashamed. And... why??? If there's only one guild called DEAD SEXY you're almost certainly not clashing and don't need the accent, wtf?
    Last edited by mmoc263431aa9d; 2013-11-14 at 10:02 PM.

Push out top numbers and you can name yourselves whatever the hell you want and ill join.