Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Nobody gives a shit if you say Merry Christmas. At least, nobody who you should concern yourself with.

Likewise, you shouldn't give a shit if people don't want to say Merry Christmas.

Finally, Halloween is the far superior holiday.
    Happy Halloween! I put my Christmas tree up already, but it's covered in Halloween decorations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    It's people looking to be offended tbh. Usually Atheists in this case.
    i've never heard any atheist be offended at that, maybe that's just me

I've seen approximately 37,000 times as many Christians complaining about "happy holidays" as atheists complaining about "merry Christmas". Christians dedicate whole shows and books to it, quite literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    i've never heard any atheist be offended at that, maybe that's just me
    Hmm, maybe it's a local issue, as an Atheist, i have no issues with it, and we celebrate X-mas in my household, ( wife is Catholic ).

Hmm, maybe it's a local issue, as an Atheist, i have no issues with it, and we celebrate X-mas in my household, ( wife is Catholic ).
    Samesies. I'm an atheist, my parents are atheists, my girlfriend's an atheist... and we'll do Christmasy things. Why? Because Christmas is fun!

Deleted
    Why would they be offended over me wishing merry christmas on, wow, christmas? Sounds like the stupidest thing ever.
    From my experience, people who get offended over ridiculous things don't actually get offended, but just pretend to be because they think someone else might possibly one day be offended over them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Happy Halloween! I put my Christmas tree up already, but it's covered in Halloween decorations.
    That better be an artificial tree or you'll have one hell of a fire hazard come Christmas.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've seen approximately 37,000 times as many Christians complaining about "happy holidays" as atheists complaining about "merry Christmas". Christians dedicate whole shows and books to it, quite literally.
    That's happy holidays, i'm talking about what i replied to, people being offended when someone says Merry Xmas. My In laws get mad when i say happy holidays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Merry Christmas 24/7 in Australia.

Deleted
    Never heard of anyone getting offended by it here, everyone says merry Christmas, happy holidays sounds stupid.

My In laws get mad when i say happy holidays.
    Has it ever occurred to them that they're petulant assholes?

Samesies. I'm an atheist, my parents are atheists, my girlfriend's an atheist... and we'll do Christmasy things. Why? Because Christmas is fun!
    No shit, making/eating cookies, exchanging gifts with the wife, and seeing the looks on my kiddos faces when they open their gifts, this will be my sons first x-mas, so it's extra cool this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Has it ever occurred to them that they're petulant assholes?
    Oh it has occurred to me on MANY occasions, that isthe only time me and my wife argue, it's when i have to deal with her dad for more than 10 minutes at a time. Most Catholic man ever, but only when it suits him or his argument.

Corporate entities (and those representing corporate entities) might consider using a generic term, but individuals oughtn't need to. If someone's going to be stuck up enough about you using a term that doesn't fit with their holiday preference, they're clearly not in ANY holiday spirit at all. In which case it probably wouldn't matter what you said, you'd manage to piss them off anyway.

I'd rather not be forced to use Merry Christmas any more than being forced to use Happy Holidays on a personal basis. If an employer requires or encourages employees to use a more open term, that's on the employer. If, as an employee, one can't wrap their mind around WHY their superiors would prefer they use Happy Holidays... well, that's rather unfortunate.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

15+ Year Old Account
    Urgh forgot about that, wonder what the local governments will stop this year. Last year the decorations because it 'might offend people', who knows!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I say happy holidays as it is generic and includes everyone. I am not a person who follows a religion and feel it is more appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here it's just an excuse to get together with family and friends.

No shit, making/eating cookies, exchanging gifts with the wife, and seeing the looks on my kiddos faces when they open their gifts, this will be my sons first x-mas, so it's extra cool this year.
    Awesome! Yeah, I just love all the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's holidays. I'm completely sold on all the corny reflection and thinking about the year gone by the year to come. The food, the booze, the time to relax, celebrations, and college football. There's... nothing to complain about!

Most Catholic man ever, but only when it suits him or his argument.
    Well, at least he's the only person like that! Imagine if we had to deal with that shit all the time! Oh... yeah.

I never even realised Happy Holidays is any different from Merry Christmas until I started reading these kinds of silly threads.

It doesn't freaking matter, there is only one holiday on December 25th. We're being no more or less culturally imperialistic by using a euphemism.

And atheists do not get mad about "Merry Christmas", rather government bodies try to use neutral language in general to avoid offending anyone, whether or not they would ACTUALLY get offended. And in this case they're worried about non-Christian religions, not atheists. Why would an atheist be happy with "Happy Holidays" anyway? These Days aren't Holy to them.

Also, is there a similar controversy over "Season's Greetings"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Say it nobody normal gives a crap, if it is what you celebrate go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    And atheists do not get mad about "Merry Christmas", rather government bodies try to use neutral language in general to avoid offending anyone, whether or not they would ACTUALLY get offended. And in this case they're worried about non-Christian religions, not atheists. Why would an atheist be happy with "Happy Holidays" anyway? These Days aren't Holy to them.
    My thoughts exactly I feel Christians would either feel it is rude that I say Merry Christmas as an atheist.

I wanted to see what people thought, it is a good discussion without being hostile ether way about it.

i think it is a good time to spend with family. we were never big on gift given, and just were more into the spirit of coming together