10+ Year Old Account

Sound Card for AudioEngine A5+

When i bought the A5's i had a i5-760 system with a ASUS Xonar D1. When i upgrade to my haswell system i had to ditch the D1 (only 1 model board with a pci-slot), so i opted for a board with a good onboard. I chose the Asrock Z87M-Extreme4. But suffice it to say.. it just doesn't sound the same.

I'm looking to buy one of these 2 models:
    ASUS Xonar DGX
    ASUS Xonar Dx

It is purely for music, i don't really game that much anymore anyhow. My question is, which one would you recommend. And if you have other suggestions, i'll be glad to hear it aswell.

Regards,
    maj.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    i would defently go for this card Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Look at the review.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, i guess i did forget to set a budget. Let's say we keep it under 100 euro.

Deleted
    DX/XD is better if you don't need a headphone amp, DGX is better if you do need one. With that budget I'd take a look at Fiio's offerings, namely Fiio e10.

15+ Year Old Account
    Creative Sound Blaster Z worked for me, The Asus cards never worked for me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Creative Sound Blaster Z worked for me, The Asus cards never worked for me.
    Nfi how you ended up with that conclusion, Sound Blaster is bad choice unless you have more money than sense.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Yeah, i guess i did forget to set a budget. Let's say we keep it under 100 euro.
    then go with the Z model.... it has build in headphone amp. i run with one i have not had ANY problems with it, and the sound is superb.

not trying to be a creative fan boy here, but the new line of cards from them, is amazing and the drivers works perfectly.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Nfi how you ended up with that conclusion, Sound Blaster is bad choice unless you have more money than sense.
    I bought 3 asus sound cards, none of them worked for me. I am not saying asus is bad, but it is just bad for me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Creative does have a notorious track record of poor driver support after a new windows hits..

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    DX/XD is better if you don't need a headphone amp, DGX is better if you do need one. With that budget I'd take a look at Fiio's offerings, namely Fiio e10.
    I rarely use my headset. So yes, it would be mainly for my A5's. Haven't thought of a seperate DAC though. However, the A5's are good, but are they good enough to notice the difference between a DX and a premium DAC. I see AE also ships out DAC's, but i feel like they're overpriced.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-11-16 at 11:47 AM.

I have a asus phoebus and never getting a asus card again, no driver support since launch. I will trade it for a creative Z? any takers!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it also be interesting to purchase a proper audio cable, say like a AudioQuest Evergreen or Golden Gate Jack-> RCA.
    I would have no idea how this would affect the quality, since i have none laying around.