Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Suggestions for new headset/headphones

Hello. I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like good quality sound. I've used a creative fatality headset for many years now because I've gotten used to the sound and it's very comfortable, but I've had like 6 of them because they keep breaking. I once went to a sennheiser 550 or something, can't remember the name, and while it seemed to be of much higher quality, I wasn't a fan of the open ear style allowing everyone to hear what I heard almost like speakers attached to my head.

What's a good medium between my old headset and a sennhieser 550? I've looked at the PC 360 but I've already got a good mic, and so perhaps I'd be better off with headphones.

Again, I'm not an audiophile to any degree. With that said, I think I want one that connects via USB because I was told they have their own soundcard, which is good for me for 2 reasons. 1, my soundcard is integrated and probably not the best (though it is from an ASRock z77 extreme 4) and 2, the jack at the front of my pc broke, and the jack at the back which I have to use doesn't function properly. It thinks my headset is speakers and so lessens the sound quality in various ways and lowers the volume.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-11-16 at 02:10 PM.

Deleted
    Get a cheap soundcard:

Asus Xonar DGX £26

Headphones:

takstar hi 2050 ~£33 with shipping.

Superlux HD668B £35

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 £109

Sennheiser HD 558 £120

Sennheiser HD 598 £161

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO £130

ok there is a few, I have no idea of your budget so that's why.

Also check this Headphone Buying Guide to help you decide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Get a cheap soundcard:

Asus Xonar DGX £26

Headphones:

takstar hi 2050 ~£33 with shipping.

Superlux HD668B £35

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 £109

Sennheiser HD 558 £120

Sennheiser HD 598 £161

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO £130

ok there is a few, I have no idea of your budget so that's why.

Also check this Headphone Buying Guide to help you decide.
    Thanks, but I need a USB set. The green jack in the back doesn't sound as good as the one from the front and the one on the front is broken.

Deleted
    It's the opposite, normaly, the front jack sounds awfull and the back jack sounds great, because he's directly on the sound card. The front jack is just a wire linked on the Motherboard, I can't imagine a world where it's better than a soundcard .

There is no usb headset witouth a mic, I think.

Deleted
    1) Why does my PC register my headset as 'speakers' when it's from the back?
    2) Why is the volume lower from the back than the front?
    3) Is a Asus Xonar DGX going to be better than ASRock Z77 extreme4 onboard sound?
    4) How much can a soundcard hold back the quality? If I got a Asus Xonar DGX, and say, the sennhieser 558 (again, because that's actually the one I had before), would it not 'unlock its full potential'?
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-11-16 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Thanks, but I need a USB set. The green jack in the back doesn't sound as good as the one from the front and the one on the front is broken.
    You missed this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Get a cheap soundcard:

Asus Xonar DGX £26
    Edit: Yes the Xonar is better than the Asrock onboard. 50Ohm (HD558) is fine for the Xonar's built-in amp. If you're worried about that then onboard would be a no go in the first place anyways

- - - Updated - - -

If you pick the Asus Xonar DGX, use these drivers instead.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-11-16 at 02:35 PM.

Deleted
    Just based on the reviews and that it's a closed ear pair of headphones, this looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic...cmu_pg__header

I'll also pick up that soundcard then.

Anyone else got anymore suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: Broadly speaking I listen to Death metal, power metal, film scores and instrumental. I'm guessing a good mid-range would be preferred? So perhaps that could be taken intro consideration when recommending.

Edit: Some of my guildies swear by 7.1 surround sound.
    Edit: Here's the learning process. They say most headphones have surround already, but some can be 'fake surround'. Thoughts?
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-11-16 at 08:34 PM.

Deleted
    I did get the PM about this but I don't have time to look at it today sorry. Hopefully someone else will see this.

Deleted
    Edit: Some of my guildies swear by 7.1 surround sound.
    Edit: Here's the learning process. They say most headphones have surround already, but some can be 'fake surround'. Thoughts?
    The surround does make music sound a lot crappier.

Also, the Xonar has dolby headphone (surround virtualisation) which combined with good headphones like the DT-770s is a better option than tacky gaming headphones. The 7.1 is a marketing buzzword, really.

My 770s work wonders for metal, double bass drumming sounds awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    The surround does make music sound a lot crappier.

Also, the Xonar has dolby headphone (surround virtualisation) which combined with good headphones like the DT-770s is a better option than tacky gaming headphones. The 7.1 is a marketing buzzword, really.

My 770s work wonders for metal, double bass drumming sounds awesome.
    I didn't mention gaming headsets. I just said my guildies really like 7.1, and I wondered if the 770's had that because I don't know anything about audio. I'm assuming you mean surround makes music crappier if it's fake surround, which I'm also assuming the 770's don't have, and they have 'real surround'?

Deleted
    DT-770s have two speakers, one for each ear. So, for surround sound they have to simulate the way human ear hears. It can also be done live, then it's called binaural recording. I recommend listening to some clips with stereo headphones. Anyway, any digital sound processing, especially with affordable hardware, degrade the clarity of the sound. This is why I recommend against using Dolby Headphone, even if it's an option.

Marketers slam 7.1 buzzword on gaming (another buzzword!) headphones, some have virtual surround and some even have multiple elements per ear. Avoid them is all I can say.

Let's say there are two headphones of the same price range, "hypothetically" named G35 and DT-770. Actually, the G35 are cheaper. DT-770 focus on build quality, sound quality and the fact that if something breaks there more often than not is a spare part available.

G35 however, in the same price range, has a microphone, they're wireless, work with USB so they also need their own digital to audio converter, a job usually done by your sound card. They also have programmable buttons and a volume knob.

In order to pull that off they've had to make huge sacrifices. And most of the gaming headphone market cut on the areas which I consider most important, sound and the structure. It wouldn't even make sense for them to make sturdy products, people wouldn't buy new units that often then.

According to some audiophiles, a USB DAC is a better choice.

Behringer UCA202 is a highly recommended budget USB DAC.

Deleted
    So I'll get the DT770 and the Asus Xonar DGX. As far as I can tell they are both pretty good. Again, I'm not into audio so that's what I'm basing my purchase off. If anyone knows anything else, feel free to suggest something else, because I'll probably buy these tomorrow.

Deleted
    So I'll get the DT770 and the Asus Xonar DGX. As far as I can tell they are both pretty good. Again, I'm not into audio so that's what I'm basing my purchase off. If anyone knows anything else, feel free to suggest something else, because I'll probably buy these tomorrow.
    Heh, I have a feeling that you very soon will be into audio. :-P By the way, if you don't plan to use the DT-770s with anything but your PC, buy the 250Ohm model. It will be slightly better with the amplifier DG(X) has than the 80 ohm model. But if you want to use the headphones with your phone, for example, get the 80Ohm model, since phones won't have the juice to drive 250 Ohm headphones.

yurano, USB dac is better, the Fiio e10 is, for example, quite comparable to Essence STX. But they are more expensive as well.

I have used Steelseries Siberia v2 for a long time, it can be used either with jacks or with usb, it got a mic on/off switch and a volume control. And it lasts forever unless you put it under a bus.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steelseries-...dp/B003D0UPK4/
    Price is 75£ at amazon, 85€ at official website, and i believe you will also be able to find it in local retails(and avoid shipping costs and time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    Siberias aren't on par at all compared to the ones Notarget and I have suggested.

This is the exact setup I'm going for. The DT 770's with the Fiio 10. Question though, If I were to get the 250OHM model will they work with my MB until I get the Fiio 10? It's a P8Z68-V Pro. I'm guessing it will.
    Also, something that might interest you. When I was researching which headset to buy I came across this mod for the Sennheiser HD 558. They basically have the same hardware as the HD 598 only with HD558 they put a tape on the inside to make them sound worse than the HD598's. By removing the tape you can turn the HD558's into an HD598. This video shows how to do it for the 955's but, it's the same mod as for the HD958's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

Deleted
    It will work, but you won't play it loud. Also, about the sennheisers, it's HD 555 to 595, not 558 to 598. 598 has other improvements as well and foam modded 558's aren't as good. But 555 and 595 are identical apart from the bit of foam.

Deleted
    How difficult is it to install a soundcard?

Deleted
    Not difficult at all, just plug it in.

Make sure you order the right one. DGX is PCI-E 1x, which is the tiny expansion slot, DG is PCI which is that larger slot. If you have both order the one which allows better airflow to your graphics card.