Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Who Own's The Copyright For "Grom" Hellscream?

I'm curious as to who owns the copyright for the orc's shorter name, Grom. I remember the original leak from Boub, where it said he had to be called Grommash due to copyright issues. However; I haven't heard anyone bring it up since then? Anyone know who might have the copyright for "Grom" or is was that just a guess boub made when he leaked the info before the trademark was announced?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some bike company trademarked Grom for its latest motorbike model earlier this year.

EDIT: the company is Honda

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2013-11-17 at 05:51 PM.

What?

Grom is referred to both as Grom and Grommash in warcraft 3, at least as far as i recall.

He is also called both in WoW, so i really got no clue wtf u talking about.

Sadly no idea, perhaps the stagename of some kind of wrestler or so? Or perhaps the registered name of some kind of monster truck?
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

Grom (not Gronn) is also the name of the original giants of Draenor, perhaps they changed Grom to Grommash so that theres no confusion when they introduce the giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    What?

Grom is referred to both as Grom and Grommash in warcraft 3, at least as far as i recall.

He is also called both in WoW, so i really got no clue wtf u talking about.
    Just because you don't know wtf he is talking about doesn't make it any less true.

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Some bike company trademarked Grom for its latest motorbike model earlier this year.
    What bike company?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Wasn't it a car?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I don't see how this would be in conflict though. You can't copyright the names of characters blanketly. Grom Hellscream isn't infringing on a bike.

I thought they were saying the full name for effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

I guess Honda likes playing Warcraft!

This is weird? So if someone made a Car called the Anduin. or Velen, or the Vol'jin, Blizzard would have to rename the characters? Can't blizz say Grom is his name? I don't get it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, it sounds pretty damn silly to me that Grom cannot be used. I make a new car and name it Steve and copyright the name. Now nobody can call their character Steve in a videogame anymore. It's especially silly that Grom Hellscream existed long before the bike did.

Also, Blizzard changed the Hearthstone card Grommash to Grom Hellscream, which makes me think it's just all bull.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-11-17 at 05:44 PM.

Yeah there's no copyright infringement there. Do you know how many character names would be unusable? People would be naming their characters TsdiojioiliiiiNhsid84

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    This is weird? So if someone made a Car called the Anduin. or Velen, or the Vol'jin, Blizzard would have to rename the characters? Can't blizz say Grom is his name? I don't get it?
    Nope. It's all about copyright.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Nope. It's all about copyright.
    Absolutely not true at all. If they wanted to name the expansion itself Grom's Fury or something, then possibly. But a character within a piece of literature or game is safe. Again, think about how many companies are out there and how many books are out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Grom_Hellscream

"This card's name has been changed, replacing the full name "Grommash" with the shortened "Grom"."

They haven't reverted that yet, I don't think?

As longt as it isn't in the same segment (car vs litterature) then the Copyright, or trademark doesn't apply. I can't call a soda Coke, but I can name a character in a game Coke if I want to. I could even name him Joe Pepsi if I wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grom is also technically his nickname. So there could be no dispute, and it's all a miss understanding on the players part. Personally, this doesn't matter much.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't see how this would be in conflict though. You can't copyright the names of characters blanketly. Grom Hellscream isn't infringing on a bike.

I thought they were saying the full name for effect.
    If a character is to be one of the main characters on an expansion, there will be alot of brand awareness from Blizzard towards its name. The fact that the name legaly belongs to another company, even if they're worlds apart, they still could receive a cease and desist from the bike's brand's laywers, which if you look up Blizzards history, they've always done their best to avoid.

The brand in question is Honda, and their brand new Honda Grom.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx