Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Funny how the sentiment changes when election rhetoric picks up and has stayed that way since these people lost their champion in 08.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The cost of healthcare is not 2% of the budget.

The poor are actually covered by government healthcare already in the United States. It's the lower middle class that are thoroughly fucked. Please, if you're going to shit on a country, please at least be mildly informed about the situation.
    Well I mean, the poor being covered kind of depends on what state you are in, since Medicare already (and continues to) vary wildly from state to state.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cost of healthcare is not 2% of the budget.
    Sigh. I was talking about personal taxes. I didn't think I would have to say it twice.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Funny how the sentiment changes when election rhetoric picks up and has stayed that way since these people lost their champion in 08.
    I'm not sure who "these people" are as this isn't sourced for a full breakdown. I'd wager that it's not Republicans that have changed their mind for the most part, as they've been radically anti-government for nearly my entire life. I guess I'm not really sure what you're driving at in this post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Sigh. I was talking about personal taxes. I didn't think I would have to say it twice.
    If you're under the impression that a 2% change in the tax rate is sufficient to cover the costs of all medical care, you're wildly misinformed about the cost of medical care. I suppose that's one of the negative consequences of living in a country with "free" healthcare - many people have absolutely no idea what it costs.

I'm not sure who "these people" are as this isn't sourced for a full breakdown. I'd wager that it's not Republicans that have changed their mind for the most part, as they've been radically anti-government for nearly my entire life. I guess I'm not really sure what you're driving at in this post.
    People only tend to get upset when they see the status quo is about to change or be threatened. When they see a democrat on the bill and winning, one who's platform included health care reform it's easy to see sentiments change.

That being said, it's Gallup and it's obvious how those polls typically end up.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you're under the impression that a 2% change in the tax rate is sufficient to cover the costs of all medical care, you're wildly misinformed about the cost of medical care. I suppose that's one of the negative consequences of living in a country with "free" healthcare - many people have absolutely no idea what it costs.
    I see what you did there.

People only tend to get upset when they see the status quo is about to change or be threatened. When they see a democrat on the bill and winning, one who's platform included health care reform it's easy to see sentiments change.
    I guess I'm still not really getting it. I have a hard time thinking Republicans moved much on this one. This has almost got to be a huge shift among moderates and some Dems, doesn't it?

That being said, it's Gallup and it's obvious how those polls typically end up.
    Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    I am loving my Healthcare in Mass .
    I am as well, however, I am not loving that my rates have gone up every year by double digit percentage points. Remember, the cost of health care is supposed to go down since we have more insured people.....

The costs of American healthcare are mostly driven by the private providers and hospitals though. In a single-payer/universal health care system, the government holds the negotiating power and as a result keeps pricing in check. Similar procedures costing 8-10x more in the US than anywhere else for example.

You also have to look at what's being asked.

This particular poll question is gauging public opinion of the individual mandate, more so than Obamacare or government health care (which Obamacare is not, after all). With this realization, it's not hard to see why public opinion of the government requiring everyone to have health insurance (through the individual mandate) would be negative right now in light of recent negative news about the Obamacare roll out, policy cancellations, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    So explain why 1.5% which is LESS then I said covers it is fine for my country?
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    This is an issue the republicans will destroy the democrats with if they insist on trying to make it work.
    Hard to guess what angle you're taking here and I don't want to make assumptions, but you realize a lot of the shift in that and other things does kinda coincide with the rise in scare tactics the right has been pushing.

I guess I'm still not really getting it. I have a hard time thinking Republicans moved much on this one. This has almost got to be a huge shift among moderates and some Dems, doesn't it?
    Depends where they're conducting the poll. Without sample data/demographics for each instance it's almost impossible to tell exactly. But these groups tend to pick demographics that support their "objectives."

Can you elaborate?
    Since 2006 and more so in 2012 Gallup has become noticeably more right wing biased. But more importantly, as above, they strategically target specific demographics. Most of these "public opinion polls" do it. I don't trust any of them.

The shift is most likely among moderates. I know people who vote Republican (because god says abortion is bad, mmmkay) that are for public healthcare. Single Issue voters are just that, and their stances on stuff tend to defy putting them into 'easy' groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

The costs of American healthcare are mostly driven by the private providers and hospitals though. In a single-payer/universal health care system, the government holds the negotiating power and as a result keeps pricing in check. Similar procedures costing 8-10x more in the US than anywhere else for example.
    Even the most cost effective systems (which I very much envy, don't get me wrong) cost a hell of a lot more than 2% of wages.

I just find it funny that the Florida Supreme Court ruled Obamacare as unconstitutional... then its taken to another supreme court after that.... in other words...
    Mommy said no...so I'll ask Daddy instead...or I'll keep asking until I get the answer I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    I just find it funny that the Florida Supreme Court ruled Obamacare as unconstitutional... then its taken to another supreme court after that.... in other words...
    Mommy said no...so I'll ask Daddy instead...or I'll keep asking until I get the answer I want.
    You don't really get how the system works right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You don't really get how the system works right?
    Nope, absolutely don't. Considering I'm being forced to purchase health care or get taxed to death... yeah, I'm totally happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    So explain why 1.5% which is LESS then I said covers it is fine for my country?
    Unless you're living in a third world country, it doesn't. You're seeing some funky accounting. There's no first world nations with universal health care spending less than ~7-10% of their GDP on healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    Nope, absolutely don't. Considering I'm being forced to purchase health care or get taxed to death... yeah, I'm totally happy about this.
    How much do you think the fine is?