Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"The police shot my friend"

Its an emotive title right? It instantly paints the police in the wrong, the friend as an innocent, what had he done to deserve being gunned down? The main story is on page 4, a double spread, the picture in the middle shows where this friend was tragically gunned down. The article wastes no time, its opening paragraph "The police shot at the heart! Twice, straight in the heart! Why?". It continues this way to the end
    The people we met in the community are scared, angry and confused over police actions that led to the shooting of Cumar Yusaf Dayib who was gunned down in front of their eyes.
    So why did the police shoot this poor man, best friend to some, dead? His friend says the man was drunk and confused, he had been waving a knife around the area and someone rang the police.
    The police did not announce their arrival. If they had just shouted "Police" maybe he would have given himself up. But one of the police-men took out their weapons immediately and cocked it. He yelled to his colleague to shine the light directly at the man at the door, the man turned to the light and ran towards it. He didn't know it was the police and wanted to see who it was. The police just shot him straight in the heart.
    A resident of the area was also interviewed
    It's unbelievable. This man has fled from his homeland to save his life only to be shot here. We are used where we come from that the police do this, that they shoot people almost like they were animals, but we never thought that it could happen in Sweden
    Quotes and stories similar to these are what the main body of text is comprised of. But in reality it doesn't quite paint the correct picture. Over interviews give a more in-depth explanation. It turns out that he had chased two young men with a knife, when they barricaded themselves in their flat he banged at their door while they rang the police. When the police arrived they told the man to stop and drop the knife, he however charged them and the police-man shot him dead. These interviews did in fact make it into the newspaper, but they're not on the same page as the main article, they're on the next page. There is also an interview with the police commissioner who states that they had investigated into it and the police-man that had fired the killing shot had taken the only course of action available to him. He'd had no time for a warning shot and the suspect had indeed been immediately warned they were police and he needed to drop the knife.

So why is the media able to sell the story in the first way? Its emotive, it probably gets more readers, but it seems to be quite a bit removed from the truth. Police in Sweden have shot dead 9 people in 10 year period, all those they have shot were armed and threatening and in more than one case had already injured or killed another person. Should the media be able to paint it in such a light? It's fear mongering and does not help improve police relations with communities. Especially immigrant communities that may have trouble trusting the police due to corruption in their homeland.

Personally I find it disgusting, the media should be reporting the facts first and foremost. Definitely the facts should not come after such an emotionally charged article. Do you think media should be held to standards when it comes to such matters? How often do you read articles such as this and after a bit of digging find that the truth has been quite deliberately smeared by the reporter?

Links to related articles from the newspaper in question (Swedish)
    http://nwt.se/hagfors/article1422777...ervice=refresh
    http://nwt.se/hagfors/article1422333.ece

An English report on the story (only one I was able to find so far)
    http://www.thelocal.se/20131113/poli...igrant-housing
    Last edited by Xanjori; 2013-11-19 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Its an emotive title right? It instantly paints the police in the wrong, the friend as an innocent,
    I stopped here because I don't agree is paints the police in the wrong, so I probably won't agree with the media spin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I stopped here because I don't agree is paints the police in the wrong, so I probably won't agree with the media spin on it.
    To you it seems a fair and non-biased title?

Deleted
    Sure seems very likely? Is this the new weekly Sweden is racists, muslims are dangerous Thread?

Seems like an unbiased source and op.
    Clever spin trying to seem biased into the other direction of what you really want to say.
    Ticking bombs at Swedish refugee homes
    ”It’s like in Somalia. We fled from Somalia and ended in this situation.”
    http://www.d-intl.com/wp-content/upl...b1-620x296.jpg
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-11-19 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Sure seems very likely? Is this the new weekly Sweden is racists, muslims are dangerous Thread?

Seems like an unbiased source and op.
    Maybe you should read the OP properly? My point was that the article was biased, and that I feel media shouldn't be able to paint events the way they do.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect something like that from Aftonbladet or Expressen.

We love to act politicly correct. Newspapers play on that.

Nothing to see here. Knife wielding maniac shot dead.

To you it seems a fair and non-biased title?
    The police shot my friend.
    Yes it seems fair and non biased from the point of view of the friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Maybe you should read the OP properly? My point was that the article was biased, and that I feel media shouldn't be able to paint events the way they do.
    He won't do that he is a bleeding heart who thinks he is better as discerning what police should do though he has never been in a situation like this. Look at his post history mainly the thread about the woman who ran from the cops with 5 kids in her van. It's always the police's fault just ask him.

Deleted
    I read the article and its biased in the opposite direction. Farright instead of left.

Drop the maskerade or learn. The english article is pure rightwing propaganda.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-11-19 at 01:32 PM.

Well then do you believe that the major report into the incident should be from the viewpoint of a friend? Why were the other eyewitness accounts on a totally different page?

I'd expect something like that from Aftonbladet or Expressen
    Yarr thats why this newspaper took me by surprise, Ive only read it a few times but this was the first majorly biased article from them I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I gotta agree. I saw your title and did not immediately think the police were the bad guys here.

Also, with media bias... It's unfortunate, but they have to grab the attention of the populous.
    Which they usually do with sensationalism, I don't see that in the title here though.
    The title is short and their are only 3 key words to look at "police" "shot" and "friend".

I read the article and its biased in the opposite direction. Farright instead of left.

Drop the maskerade or learn.
    Were you under the influence of drugs or alcohol while reading the news articles?

Well then do you believe that the major report into the incident should be from the viewpoint of a friend? Why were the other eyewitness accounts on a totally different page?
    Why are you asking me different questions now?
    The question was if the title was biased and I don't think it is.

the media should be reporting the facts first and foremost
    long gone are the days, it's all sensationalism now. ratings, sales and views is all that matters.

Deleted
    Were you under the influence of drugs or alcohol while reading the news articles?
    http://www.d-intl.com/2013/11/17/tic...homes/?lang=en
    Right farright.
    Since that is the truth you want to present here i think its only fair to assume that it would most closely be your oppinion of how fair journalism would look.

Why do we care what his friend thinks about what happened?

'Mother states "they killed my son!"' is less interesting than that her son was going berzerk with a rifle, killing or wounding dozens of people.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

If the title was biased and sensationalism was used it would read more like "Rogue cops shoot unarmed man in the dark. Welcome to the new police state"

Its also not the article in question. It was the only English report of the incident I could find for those that didnt want to use google translate on the Swedish newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Why do we care what his friend thinks about what happened?
    I don't care but it sounds like it is a quote from someone the reporter interviewed who was most likely the guys friend.

Deleted
    Its also not the article in question. It was the only English report of the incident I could find for those that didnt want to use google translate on the Swedish newspaper.
    You complain about liberal bias and link some racist english version what do you think i would say about it?