10+ Year Old Account

Buying a Road Bike. Rukentuts pls!

Hey! I'm buying a bike for riding on a trail near my house every week. I have a bike currently, but it's a cheap Wal-Mart bike that I cannot stand and I wanted to get a road bike for the purpose of only riding on the trail.

I am a complete noob at bikes, so I will need explanations about bikes in general. My budget is basically $200... which I know is really low for what these bikes sell for, but I don't want to make a huge investment into something that I may or may not like. I was looking at the GMC Denali, but have read mixed reviews. I am no expert with bikes, and I do NOT need something fancy nor super nice, just a sturdy cheap bike that performs well enough for me to ride ~10-15 miles per day about 4-5 days per week (I am limited on time).

Thank you very much in advance.

Asphalt trail then?

You can go road bike, which is faster.
    Hybrid, which can take slightly different kinds of terrain (like limestone trails as well).

Road you are angled somewhat lower, and hybrids tend to stick you more upright. Of course you can manipulate this by choosing headsets at different angles.

Unfortunately, it's really damn easy to spend hundreds+ on these things, especially decent road bikes. But the thing is, generally the more you spend the better it will get you around; you really do get what you pay for.

You have a link to something specific you are looking at?

One last tip: Don't hesitate to browse local shops, many will let you test ride bikes for free and you can see how they feel.

When you say trail, do you mean a paved or off-road trail?

10+ Year Old Account
    The trail IS paved, but it's old... so it's not exactly smooth. I will take a picture of it and post it when I get back in about 1 1/2 hrs.

I was looking at this bike. I'm 6'1" and have an inseam of around 33 1/2".
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-11-19 at 07:25 PM.

57-58cm frame should be perfect for you on a road bike. I don't know mountain bike sizing.

Look around your area and see if you could pick up a used road bike from either a velodrome, racing club or just some hobbyists. Use Craigslist with caution as some of those bikes are stolen, especially in college towns. I don't know anything about GMC bikes so I can't really give you feedback on that particular bike.
    Last edited by Projali; 2013-11-19 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    The trail IS paved, but it's old... so it's not exactly smooth.
    Keep in mind without a bike with a suspension you will feel every bump.

I don't know GMC bikes either but from appearances I'd say that's a somewhat cheap (might be lower quality too) entry-level style bike. I don't know how good the components are, or how many miles they'll take before going out, but probably lower than higher-quality bikes. Some of those 1 star reviews give me the heebejeebies.

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is a good bike brand? I am open to getting a hybrid OR a road bike. I am really not knowledgeable with bikes. It'd be analogous to someone not even knowing what nVidia is in regards to a gpu. What I'm trying to say is... which bike would you recommend near my price range? Something that I could work toward possibly.

Here are pictures of the trail. It gets bumpier down the line and there are some minor holes in the asphalt, but I never ride over them. Most of the trail is like this, though.

Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-11-19 at 09:48 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is a good bike brand? I am open to getting a hybrid OR a road bike. I am really not knowledgeable with bikes. It'd be analogous to someone not even knowing what nVidia is in regards to a gpu. What I'm trying to say is... which bike would you recommend near my price range? Something that I could work toward possibly.

Here are pictures of the trail. It gets bumpier down the line and there are some minor holes in the asphalt, but I never ride over them. Most of the trail is like this, though.

A good bike brand? Me, my brother and my father all ride Devinci bikes and they are very good bikes. Mine has a suspension system on the front so bumps aren't as bad, but road bikes don't have a suspension system and trust me, your ass feels it on bumpy surfaces. Both my father and brother ride road bikes, which aside from lacking suspension, are considerably lighter and easier to pedal. Road bikes were meant for roads that are consistently maintained, not paved walking paths. A good quality bike at the very least is going to run you $500 or so, getting a last years model or something slightly used is better though and you wind up with a better model then what you would pay for the same price for a newer bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I don't know GMC bikes either but from appearances I'd say that's a somewhat cheap (might be lower quality too) entry-level style bike. I don't know how good the components are, or how many miles they'll take before going out, but probably lower than higher-quality bikes. Some of those 1 star reviews give me the heebejeebies.
    I know a couple of people with them that have been reasonably happy. Personally, I'd never consider something quite that low end. If it's at all possible, I'd much rather buy a slightly used Fuji with Soras (or even Tiagras if possible) for ~$500.

- - - Updated - - -

To each their own, but I wouldn't be particularly inclined towards an aggressively set up roadie for this terrain. How far are you trying to ride it? I'm a huge fan of road bikes, but if you're not going terribly far and the terrain is kind of bumpity, you might be better served with a mountain or a hybrid with fat tires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    To each their own, but I wouldn't be particularly inclined towards an aggressively set up roadie for this terrain. How far are you trying to ride it? I'm a huge fan of road bikes, but if you're not going terribly far and the terrain is kind of bumpity, you might be better served with a mountain or a hybrid with fat tires.
    Firstly, tyvm for the input.

I plan to ride a minimum of ~50miles per week. Maximally like 75 miles (of course weather permitting). I guess that isn't too aggressive. I don't want fat tires, because it's much more difficult to overcome the friction caused by them. I guess the tires don't have to be super thin, but I'd want them to be not so fat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-bicycle-1.jpg These size tires are what I would be okay with at the biggest.

Firstly, tyvm for the input.
    Np! Ruken's definitely more of an expert on the matter than me, but I did do a ton of research before buying my bike last fall.

I plan to ride a minimum of ~50miles per week. Maximally like 75 miles (of course weather permitting). I guess that isn't too aggressive.
    Yeah, my main thing is that I wouldn't want to consistently ride more than ~10-15 miles without roadie style bars. Those flats get really, really uncomfortable and can actually do some nerve damage if you're piling the miles up. Comparatively, having multiple positions that you can put your hands in and some spectacularly comfortable hoods makes road bikes a lot better for long rides. It seems like you're probably riding enough that you're going to benefit from having the multiple positions.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-bicycle-1.jpg These size tires are what I would be okay with at the biggest.
    Oh, those look like exactly what I was thinking! mostly I was thinking that running 23 mm tires that are common for pure road riding probably wouldn't work great for you. Something on the order of 28's should really cushion that a lot more as they don't have to be at as high of a pressure to avoid flats.

Have you thought about a cyclocross style bike? It seems like it'd be absolutely perfect for what you're looking for. They're roadies in terms of generally form factor, but set up for more of a pounding for courses that include rough terrain. I know this is more than you're looking to spend (these are $399), but something like this would be absolutely perfect, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you thought about a cyclocross style bike? It seems like it'd be absolutely perfect for what you're looking for. They're roadies in terms of generally form factor, but set up for more of a pounding for courses that include rough terrain. I know this is more than you're looking to spend (these are $399), but something like this would be absolutely perfect, I think.
    I haven't, because I simply don't know all the special kinds! Hahaha. Thanks for the suggestion... I will seriously look at it. Which size would be right for me? I have an inseam of ~33 - 33 1/2" and I am JUST under 6'1". I looked up a table and it said 60-62CM for my particular specs. I guess 58cm would do, hehe. I'm loving the look of that yellow

I haven't, because I simply don't know all the special kinds! Hahaha. Thanks for the suggestion... I will seriously look at it. Which size would be right for me? I have an inseam of ~33 - 33 1/2" and I am JUST under 6'1". I looked up a table and it said 60-62CM for my particular specs. I guess 58cm would do, hehe. I'm loving the look of that yellow
    You mean a framesize of 60 to 62? I think a 58 would be best. Very basic would be the inner leg lenght (cm) x0.66/0,70. For you that would be roughly 84.5x0,68 that would be a 57 but you seem to be a bit tall for the lenght of your legs so I would guess a 58. I think 57 is also a less common size. Usually it is more 56 or 58.

Anyways, best tip would be to go to a store and get measured because they tend to use the torso lenght, arm lenght, leg lenght etc. for the frame as well as the saddle height/position. Maybe get a quotation for a new bike at a store? Then obviously not buying it there. It is a bit bad but oh well. Remember though, you might need their help fixing an issue with your bike later on so don't piss them off too much .

Also, good thing that you are buying now. It should be the end of clearance sale right now. Also, check for second hand bikes. A lot of people bought a bike in April and either want to upgrade or are now fed up with cycling . High volume/low demand and all that.

I think a 58's going to be best for you. I find that for some reason a lot of the online advice and charts puts people that are on bikes that are a bit too big. Supposedly, I was going to be on a 54 (I'm 5'8", 32 inch inseam), but when I went into my local bike shop, they were pretty sure I was a 51 and set me up to test-ride both sizes. It wasn't even close! After trying both, it was pretty clear to me that I was a 51. My mother (5'4") was initially sold a 51 and road it for a year then when she went in to buy a time trial bike wound up with a 48 and is much happier with it.

Really, most people will fit two sizes OK, but my experience is that people wind up being happier with the smaller size. The one thing that could potentially be bad about the smaller size is that it tends to put you in a slightly more aggressive position, with the saddle slightly higher relative to the bars. Most people wind up finding that more comfortable once they're accustomed to it though.

Agree with Bolson that if you're able to go get measured, that'd be best. Fit is very, very important if you're going to be putting miles in - if you're reaching too far or not far enough to pedal, it can really mess with your knees. A good fit is really, really valuable, but I don't think it's typically included standard on lower priced bikes. I'm not totally sure though.

62cm frame size would definitely be too large. 58cm is probably what it would be, although if there's a bike shop around that could throw you on a 60cm to rule it out that'd be nice. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and 58cm is too small for me.

@Spectral: Pfft you're the road expert. I ride hybrids!

62cm frame size would definitely be too large. 58cm is probably what it would be, although if there's a bike shop around that could throw you on a 60cm to rule it out that'd be nice. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and 58cm is too small for me.
    Agreed. Try a 58 and a 60, see which one you like. I think it's going to be the 58, but it's very individual.

@Spectral: Pfft you're the road expert. I ride hybrids!
    Damn! You've got to have hands of steel at this point. I couldn't bear the idea of a century without multiple grips to switch to. I also can't ride for shit in the wind if I don't have drops to get low!

Unfortunately, I know a lot more about the stuff that was in the price range I was buying in. Seems like for lower prices most people just point to BikesDirect and such. I definitely recommend shelling out big bucks for high end carbon for anyone that can swing it though.

Damn! You've got to have hands of steel at this point. I couldn't bear the idea of a century without multiple grips to switch to. I also can't ride for shit in the wind if I don't have drops to get low!
    I have bar ends on my bike, I'm on them all the time unless I have a bunch of intersections or expect to be braking.

Wind can be bleh, but I just grab the iPod and crank the tunes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys. I have been waiting to see which bike is for me...

What are you opinions on

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...enue_a_xiv.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/avenue_b.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/avenue_c.htm

They are essentially the same bikes with upgrades. I am leaning towards getting the Avenue B, because I did not want the cheapest bike, nor did I want to pay for the most expensive one. What are your opinions on them? Which one would be the best value to get? Is the C a huge improvement over the B that buying it is warranted? Thank you

I weigh 240lbs (and as I said before 6' 1")... am I too heavy for these bikes? I'm using it for exercising and obviously plan to reduce my weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't understand the thing at the bottom where it compares the Traditional Frame Size vs "THIS MODEL SEAT TUBE". Does it mean that in this bike that the XL -- which is 58.5cm -- is the equivalent to a Giant's bike that has a 61-63cm frame? Or does it mean that THIS bike's XL is 58.5CM?
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-12-01 at 06:05 PM.