Poll: How does the video make you feel?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How Does this Video Make You Feel?

Ultimately it doesn't bother me too much because I don't let idiots ( I think these two are idiots) get under my skin, but it did make me taste something bad in the back of my throat for a split second.

I guess this could also open up a discussion on "Social Justice" overall. I think it's been perverted by people in the video (most of the Tumblr crowd). What ever happened to treating people equally? What about treating each person like an individual with their own identities, thoughts, and struggles? I believe in social justice insofar that society should afford the same rights to everyone, equally. I believe that societies function best when the worst off are able to live healthy lives. I have a hard time believing MLK, with all his wisdom, would cheer and clap at the people on the stage. Is the tumblr crowd the new face of Social Justice? This video summarizes my thoughts on the matter, but I'm more interested in what you guys think. Do you believe in the type of social justice expressed in the video, or a more nuanced and traditional belief? I know there are many different definitions for Social Justice. It stops being just for me when people demand special privileges, absolute equality in all facets of life (ex. lowering standards for women in combat), and treat people as singular groups with one identity rather than collective individuals with their own interests and lives.

*Note* I don't really care if they make a "white club" or not. I think all of those clubs are dumb but that's just me. I don't think you should be proud of gender or race, only things you earn.

Gotta say though, it does make for good comedy when taken to the extremes and/or satirized

Last edited by GreatOak; 2013-11-20 at 05:00 AM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    I don't quite understand why they need to project their message in such a moronic way, but okay.

They both sound like fucking morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I don't quite understand why they need to project their message in such a moronic way, but okay.
    It's a "slam".

The funny thing is that I'm actually "on their side" (pro-immigration) in this video but they're so annoying that I don't want to be associated with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    One big joke to me. Yeah, I get it, minorities get discriminated against. It's not like people support that shit. I live in a college community: with Mung society, Black society, Women's society, and that's perfectly fine. There are gamer clubs, whovian clubs, fucking anime and manga clubs, and that's perfectly fine. I completely fail to see the line of thought that a club for white males would be racist. It gets racist the second they act like supremists, which is true for ANY club. How dare people want to have a voice, how dare white males assume they can have it rough too. I could give less than a shit about clubs for minorities, because there is absolutely no problem with that. That's why I have a problem with those groups having a problem when someone else wants to make a group of their own, because they don't have one.

Does this make any sense whatsoever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Creating clubs for anything arbitrary/uncontrollable perpetuates social divisions on these very aspects. I would not support a white club, neither would I support a gay club, nor a latino club. But -- only under ideal circumstances. We don't live under ideal circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    Does this make any sense whatsoever?
    Yeah, if people want to make a dumb club they should be able to. It's not racist until it becomes racist. I just don't like how these people assume everyone has the same circumstances and problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I see this shit all the time at school. Scholarships for every "minority", campus jobs go to them first, they have special study assistance available, and they can go after anything I try to go after as well. Clubs even pay for them to go to Seminars for a weekend out of state here and there. I don't think it's funny I have never discriminated against any of these people so I don't see why they seem to think this is acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Creating clubs for anything arbitrary/uncontrollable perpetuates social divisions on these very aspects. I would not support a white club, neither would I support a gay club, nor a latino club. But -- only under ideal circumstances. We don't live under ideal circumstances.
    Thank you for encapsulating my thoughts more clearly than my tired head is able to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I see this shit all the time at school. Scholarships for every "minority", campus jobs go to them first, they have special study assistance available, and they can go after anything I try to go after as well. Clubs even pay for them to go to Seminars for a weekend out of state here and there. I don't think it's funny I have never discriminated against any of these people so I don't see why they seem to think this is acceptable.
    Yeah it's pretty gross. I was so insulted when I got offered several scholarships for being a "person of color" when I got accepted into college. One of my proudest moments is when I rejected over $50,000 worth of racist, divisive scholarships. I was fine in only keeping the ones I earned based on my academic achievements. They gave more money anyways. I also always never fill in the race bubble on any forms if I have the choice. Otherwise, I'll put "other", and not because my ethnicity isn't usually listed either.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not race, is socio economic status, at least where I live it is. The kids that come from good socio economic backgrounds have a higher chance of doing well in school, has nothing to do with race because even the black kids from nice parts of town do well but we also have a huge poor population that is also black. Just what I've observed over the years.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    That's why I have a problem with those groups having a problem when someone else wants to make a group of their own, because they don't have one.
    I don't know the circumstances, but is there something stopping white people from making their own white people clubs? Or did those assholes in white sheets already ruin it for everybody?

Personally, if your biggest problem is that you're made to feel uncomfortable for trying to organize a club...seems like you might have it pretty good. Which is the message I get from that video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Yes -- applying for fellowship and phd programs, and a consistent theme is "Are you a minority? If so, have these benefits. You're welcome." I'm curious to know what happened to merit-based applications.

I just want to know if they want to be equal why should they want to have their own clubs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    It's not race, is socio economic status, at least where I live it is. The kids that come from good socio economic backgrounds have a higher chance of doing well in school, has nothing to do with race because even the black kids from nice parts of town do well but we also have a huge poor population that is also black. Just what I've observed over the years.
    Yes, that's pretty much what it always is. But race is correlated with socioeconomic status because of wealth accumulation/inheritance (mainly).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much what it always is. But race is correlated with socioeconomic status because of wealth accumulation/inheritance (mainly).
    That's due to the past... Kids grow up with shitty parents unlike the other kids who have better parents who make more money and understand how the world works to get to the point that they are at.
    Hey everyone

Fuck these kind of people honestly, I am so sick of people who think its okay to be blatantly racist to white people because it is the cool thing to do now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they know what it's like to get sprayed with fire houses or any of that shit.

Deleted
    Carlton Banks would not approve of this sort of thing!

Deleted
    I dont like that video, its a bad video, make it go away please Nothing new I guess, more self-hating white people. Then again, like many have asked before, whats stopping them from creating their own white male clubs? I know we have one for women, including white ones but I dont want any part of that.