Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is this a real eating disorder?

I don't know if many of you have heard the fact that your stomach is full, but your eyes are still hungry.

I don't know if this is a psychological thing or just something that cannot be helped? Cause I am sure I have this problem. I do force food down my throat until my plate is finished.

Get this. I am lap banded as well and that's doing almost nothing to stop me. I have lost a few kilos but nothing special.

I feel like my problem lies with the fact that my eyes just wanted more and more even though my body says no. My dad who married another woman had a few kids and something I noticed with those kids is they have that exact same thing with me where they just don't stop eating their eyes just want more.

Could this be a genetic problem or something? Like I said I only have ever heard of this saying and don't know anyone that definitely has it but I'm sure I do.

Edit:

I probably should have pointed out that I do eat slow. Ever since the lap band (it's been about a year now) I take the very least 20 minutes to finish my food as well as Chewing a lot before swallowing because if I don't the food gets stuck.

The problem is however, the actual amount I eat remains unchanged.

Also yes when I was young, I was encouraged to finish myfood and fill up on bread. Bad parenting? Maybe...
    Last edited by jimmy valmer; 2013-11-21 at 10:41 AM.

Eat slower. Don't feel guilt for leaving something uneaten.

Or, see a professional. Probably that advice.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Try being a body builder and force feeding yourself until you want to vomit, but you can't because vomiting is a waste of calories. It is hard work being underweight and having to bulk up, it takes discipline you that most people do not understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you eat matters just as much as how much you eat. You can eat candy and chemical shit, all day and never reach a happy full. Try eating a pound of carrots vs. a pound of gummy bears.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    What you eat matters just as much as how much you eat. You can eat candy and chemical shit, all day and never reach a happy full. Try eating a pound of carrots vs. a pound of gummy bears.
    The "vanishing calorie" is a real thing. I could easily eat a pound of Cheetos, but probably not a pound of carrots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your stomach is stupid. Because of the way it processes food, it doesn't actually read as "full" until about 15-20 minutes after it actually IS full. That's why when you eat really fast, you feel really stuffed, but when you eat slowly you get full "faster" because when you eat slower, you give your stomach more time to recognize how much food is in it and tell you that it's full.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Try being a body builder and force feeding yourself until you want to vomit, but you can't because vomiting is a waste of calories. It is hard work being underweight and having to bulk up, it takes discipline you that most people do not understand.
    6'1 and weighed around 145 all of my adult life, when i quit smoking earlier this year i decided to pack on some weight. I'm at 178, and i literally have to eat non stop. I'm so god damn sick of chicken, and pasta at this point. My weight is starting to neutralize, and i think my metabolism is starting to get the point, i am now eating less, and the weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs at most.

But thanks to this, i've now got Gurd, and now have to take Zantac.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The "vanishing calorie" is a real thing. I could easily eat a pound of Cheetos, but probably not a pound of carrots.
    Thats obvious, everyone knows a pound of carrots weighs more than a pound of crisps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats obvious, everyone knows a pound of carrots weighs more than a pound of crisps.
    I see what you did there......
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Eat slower. Don't feel guilt for leaving something uneaten.

Or, see a professional. Probably that advice.
    I eat stupidly slow. When at a table with others, I usually take twice as long as they do. When eating alone, I sometimes take up to an hour to finish a meal. (The latter is partially because I'm a slow eater and partially because I get distracted a lot.) But I have bad impulse control. Unless the food gets really cold/stale, I usually finish it all. I don't often make myself big meals, but on the few occasions that I do I sometimes feel sick from overeating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    6'1 and weighed around 145 all of my adult life, when i quit smoking earlier this year i decided to pack on some weight. I'm at 178, and i literally have to eat non stop. I'm so god damn sick of chicken, and pasta at this point. My weight is starting to neutralize, and i think my metabolism is starting to get the point, i am now eating less, and the weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs at most.

But thanks to this, i've now got Gurd, and now have to take Zantac.
    When I first applied to join the military they turned me down because I was underweight (50kg), being told you are so weak and pathetic is the worst thing that can happen to a man.

When I first applied to join the military they turned me down because I was underweight (50kg), being told you are so weak and pathetic is the worst thing that can happen to a man.
    You're like the British version of Captain America

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    I don't know if many of you have heard the fact that your stomach is full, but your eyes are still hungry.
    If you eat too fast your brain still thinks you're hungry when you're actually full.

Deleted
    Do as the old Chinese saying- chew each mouthful 60 times before you swallow. Will never be overfull and yep it certainly works

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    You're like the British version of Captain America
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Britain

10+ Year Old Account
    Lolwut. Underweight doesn't mean you're weak and pathetic. It just means that based on some mathematical equation, you're not within their allowed parameters. It just means the short fat kid gets in easier than the tall skinny kid. Doesn't have any bearing on health, fitness, or manliness.

What weird logic you have there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thigh boots, soooooo 80's.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Lolwut. Underweight doesn't mean you're weak and pathetic. It just means that based on some mathematical equation, you're not within their allowed parameters. It just means the short fat kid gets in easier than the tall skinny kid. Doesn't have any bearing on health, fitness, or manliness.

What weird logic you have there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thigh boots, soooooo 80's.
    I was weak though, being turned down was the kick up the arse I needed to get my fitness in order.

The OP seemed to imply that he/she wanted to lose weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was weak though, being turned down was the kick up the arse I needed to get my fitness in order.
    I guess I'm glad I have no desire to join the military.

Just, be kind.

It doesn't sound right. And I'm sure with his strong accent, and constantly taking breaks from crime fighting for tea, I can't imagine he's very intimidating either.