Deleted

Fractal Design Define R4 cooling methods: Advice!

Hi guys. Been building this pc in incremental stages (added an SSD last month) and now I am going to add the aftermarket CPU cooler so I begin overclocking. Current build is:
    Haswell i5 4670k 3.4ghz
    8gb Corsair vengeance RAM
    EVGA GTX 760.
    256gb Samsung 840 Evo.
    500gb Western Digital 7200rpm HDD.
    Z87-UD3H Gigabyte motherboard.
    Fractal Design Define R4 case.
    600W PSU

The actual CPU cooler I have chosen is the Nactua NH U12S which I am pretty adamant is the one I want to purchase. The overclock range I am looking at is around 4.4-4.5ghz.

Anyway that's a relatively long intro but basically the help I am seeking is what sort of cooling arrangements should I go for with this build for optimal results post overclocking? Right now I am only using the two stock Fractal fans which have come with the case, the front fan is sucking air in and the exhaust fan is pushing out the 'warm air'. I feel I can get away with keeping these two fans without adding any additional ones (though your thoughts would be appreciated) particularly as my aim is to have a silent build not one which is too loud.

Would the best way to fit the NH U12S within this current configuration to have the CPU fan on the cooler to suck in the air (aided by the front sucking in fan) onto the heatsink and then let the 'exhaust fan' blow out the hot air. Or should I reconsider and think about reorganising the stock airflow?

I feel that with the current airflow method I have now, installing the NH U12S with it sucking in the cool air from the front over the heatsink could be beneficial if I also add a second fan to the front to have more intake resulting in positive airflow.

Deleted
    Where are you from?

Scythe Mugen 4 might be a better choice.

Basically air flow is intakes on front, exhausts on top and rear. That is what Define R4 is designed for, as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Where are you from?

Scythe Mugen 4 might be a better choice.

Basically air flow is intakes on front, exhausts on top and rear. That is what Define R4 is designed for, as well.
    I am from the UK. Not to sound like a jerk but can you give any reasons why it might be a better choice? Just as been speaking to a few friends who are more clued up than me and they both concurred that the U12S is one of the best silent + performance coolers on the market. It would be interesting to hear an alternative opinion

Deleted
    It runs cooler quite simply:
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...ugan4_review/6

And it is quite cheap for the performance.

The best air cooler would be NH-D14 or Dark Rock Pro 2.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2013-11-21 at 03:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also vouch for BeQuiet, their heatsinks are fantastic. High-End model would be the Dark Rock Pro 2, a bit cheaper and probably in the same performance area as the Noctua NH-U12S is the Dark Rock Advance C1. And let's be real: The BeQuiet heatsinks look way better than Noctua (and most other out there)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet