Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Is the joke being, that you don't fear Sinn Fein/IRA drama where you live but think in America in a city some dude is going to roll up on you and kill you cause we all carry weapons?
    He's from Scotland, not Norn Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyazo View Post
    Sure, there is lots of stuff going on here really weird, but nothing to say no to a vacation. Just, maybe try to land on the West Coast, maybe in San Francisco or something?
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend San Fran as a place to avoid the weird. Unless you want him to be able to get the full experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glesganed View Post
    Ive read on these forums, and a few others, the debate over gun control in the USA. There are strong arguments on both sides, and as i have only a distant view of the topic and USA culture as a whole, i have little idea how i would feel about the subject if i was a citizen of the USA. I have often heard the pro-gun lobby argue that they need to own a gun simply to protect them and theirs agains armed criminals.

My question is, is it safe to vacation in the USA? After all, if the people of the USA feel the need to arm themselves against armed criminals, would my family and i be seen as a soft target, easy pickings if you like for those intent on doing harm.
    I recommend vacationing somewhere safer, like the Levant. You've seen The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, The Wire? It's like that everywhere, all the time here in real life, only not tamed down by the censors.

Hard-eyed men stalk the streets with long-guns on their shoulders, all the women carry .44 magnums in their handbags, and God help you if they don't like the sound of your accent. The poor and uninsured lie dying on the sides of the streets, while fat cat bankers knock the ash from their rolled $100 bill cigars over their heads.

never, under any circumstance, no matter what you do, visit Detroit.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b2/b2d22...2771022c6c.jpg
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    This. Obviously no one is that thick.
    You'd think, but too many posts on this forum make me fear he could be dead serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    This is even wrong. I've been camping/canoe trips all over the US. Your only danger is getting lost and dying with your body never being discovered.
    Hey, you go canoeing in the Okefenokee and you may get eaten by an alligator. Even our wildlife is out of control!

Contrary to popular belief, the US isn't really the Wild Wild West. It's a pretty safe place with pockets of bad spots rather than a dangerous place with some outposts of relative safety.

Now some of that depends on where you are going. Common sense will tell you some places are to be avoided while maybe some others will require a little research.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Depends on location and time of day.

If you stick to the daytime and stay in public areas, chances are you won't face any threats.

If it's nightime and you're wandering the streets alone, your risk is much higher.

Could they be seen as targets? Probably... but it depends on how many of you there are, and also how many are around that are solo.

Chances are criminals would go after the lone tourist who seems clueless, not the family of four as - well - that's harder to rob four people with one gun than one person with one gun.
    Lol, you make it sound so much scarier than it is.

General advice to the OP: Pick a vacation area, don't go into bad neighborhoods. You'll be fine. The real reason many people in the US own guns is for sport, because it's a tradition, or because they're paranoid. The vast majority never actually have to use them for self defense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Lol, you make it sound so much scarier than it is.

General advice to the OP: Pick a vacation area, don't go into bad neighborhoods. You'll be fine. The real reason many people in the US own guns is for sport, because it's a tradition, or because they're paranoid. The vast majority never actually have to use them for self defense.
    yeah, that´s reassuring
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nygma7 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend San Fran as a place to avoid the weird. Unless you want him to be able to get the full experience?
    People don't walk the streets of San Fran is drag. You aren't hit on by every Tom, Dick and Harry. The stereotype you're talking about is limited to select areas in SF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    yeah, that´s reassuring
    Not every American owns a gun, and even those that are paranoid don't actually use them. It's not clinical paranoia, it's "I'm a special snowflake that someone might want to hurt" paranoia, or "If anyone wants to break into my house, I'm ready for them."

15+ Year Old Account
    Not every American owns a gun, and even those that are paranoid don't actually use them. It's not clinical paranoia, it's "I'm a special snowflake that someone might want to hurt" paranoia, or "If anyone wants to break into my house, I'm ready for them."
    i know, i should´ve added lol, because i only found it hilarious to read

the top 3 why people own guns in the US:
    sports
    tradition
    paranoia

can´t stop laughing
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I'm in the process of exchange (Studying abroad in the states for a year) and by far everyone I've talked to says it's safer than you imagine and not to stress. Heck, I reckon Sydney would be more rough (Where I'm from). I just have to decide which bloody college/state I want to be in...now that's the hard part.

I also went to the US a few years ago for a holiday, it's honestly a great place to visit and you will love it.
    "There is no honor in mediocrity."

People don't walk the streets of San Fran is drag. You aren't hit on by every Tom, Dick and Harry. The stereotype you're talking about is limited to select areas in SF.
    Let's just say I'm betting your odds of seeing weird in SF are significantly higher than being mugged in any other city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i know, i should´ve added lol, because i only found it hilarious to read

the top 3 why people own guns in the US:
    sports
    tradition
    paranoia

can´t stop laughing
    D: (I would have said "self defense" but to be honest, I consider the majority of "self defense" people to be paranoid. Most of them live in areas with very little gun violence -- they're probably safer than I am where I live -- and yet they're still afraid of the boogeyman.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't go into poor neighborhoods and America is completely safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the propaganda that the US gets is all bullshit. The US is probably the safest place to go on vacation you will ever visit. Just don't visit some trashy poor area. Go to Florida, New York, California or some other nicer, non animalistic, vacation area. I live in a very nice part of Florida with a lot of tourism and the last time anything bad happened here was pretty much never. Don't watch the news and just assume that everywhere you go in the US you're going to see a shoot out, I'm sure we have heard much worse things about your country.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2013-11-21 at 11:28 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Stay away from downtown NY, any hardcore southern state like SC, Washington DC, Maryland, Detroit and ghetto areas of NC and you might not end up watching a gang of wannabe gangbangers rape your wife and blow your kids away with handguns. Think I'm kidding? Google if you lack the real life experience of living in shitty US states. Stay away from Detroit if you listen to anything I've said here. The US is painted as a place that's equally violent with the rest of the world but it's fallen into disarray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I doubt you're going to run into people having gun wars while you're here.

Unless you're in Newark, NJ. Just avoid that place.
    No where near as bad as Detroit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    Stay away from downtown NY
    Clearly you've never been to NY.
    Unless you're afraid of gays hipsters and heroin addicts.
    Now if you said uptown like harlem or washington heights you MAY have an argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glesganed View Post
    My question is, is it safe to vacation in the USA? After all, if the people of the USA feel the need to arm themselves against armed criminals, would my family and i be seen as a soft target, easy pickings if you like for those intent on doing harm.
    The majority of the country would be safe to visit, just stay out of what feels like a bad area.

Whether they'd like me saying it or not, a lot of people have become far more paranoid over their "need" to own a gun, esp more than one, than what is actually necessary in most areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others say: keep in your hotel and touristy spots. They should be safe enough. Don't go exploring or on an adventure.
    Every big city can be dangerous, you can be also mugged in London, Berlin, Paris, Sydney or smaller towns. The best weapon against that is common sense.

And as a german who immigrated into Central Ohio almost 13 years ago: I've never felt I had to get me a gun to protect me.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D View Post

And as a german who immigrated into Central Ohio almost 13 years ago: I've never felt I had to get me a gun to protect me.
    You're in central Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You're in central Ohio.
    I'll take it one step farther. I've lived in the US my entire life. Born and raised in Oklahoma. Don't let that full you. In my line of work I've spent a lot of time in MANY different cities. Tonight I am in Cleveland. Last night I was in Pittsburgh, Lots of time in Newark, Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Dallas, Miami, Boston, and well most major cities you can think of. I've been to all but TWO of the states in the continental US. I've wished I had a gun with me exactly ZERO times. Not once.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!