145. This poll is closed
  • Phoenix

104 71.72%
  • Meteor

41 28.28%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    As an old (since Diablo 1) Diablo and Mage/Sorcerer/Wizard player I have always loved the meteor spell. In Diablo 2 I played frost but I had several fire mages and just loved the moment when the Flaming Rocks of Death hits the enemies and takes them with ease. Same thing in Diablo 3 as I play Critical Mass wizard with meteor with impact rune and just love the big crits.
    Same thing here. I would love to see something like the Flamestrike but from the sky and with cooler animation and taking more dmg.
    And to the statement that is more Lockish..... read the above. If you still thing Meteor is more Lockish then Wizard/Sorcerer/Mage then you are in the wrong forum section.

About the Flaming bird, well I am not a pet person so I dont play Lock or Hunter so this should be discussed more and see if most ppl want the mage to be a pet class or not. But from what my past experience with Blizzard is that they want Mages to be petless and be different from Locks as a playstyle.

Deleted
    phoenix would be cool, as long as it is not permanent pet. Never enjoyed playing with a pet as mage.

Summoning a giant bird of flaming death to drop from the sky and land on my target... cool I can dig it. to summon a "pet" no thanks, that's frosts kit yo.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's baffling that we haven't gotten the phoenix spell yet. Not a permanent pet just a cd/temporary guardian. Put it in fire and don't let the frosties and arcane-farts touch it. While it's active maybe it does some other cool stuff like empowers our fire spells or something. I don't know.

Make it happen, Blizz. This is madness.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2013-11-26 at 01:28 PM.

Deleted
    Pheonix, make it happen blizz!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    I would go further with this. I would make it a defensive//offensive cooldown.

It kind of like cauterize BUT!!! It has a cooldown of like 5minute and if you die as a Mage, you will rise as a phoenix from the ashes. You will be Transformed into a phoenix after you rise from the grave for X Amount of time. While you are in "Phoenix Metamophosis" you gain 15% spellpower and 10% higher secondary stats, you also gain 3 new abilety's 1. Fireball Volley = Unleach a cluster if flaming hot fireballs that will burn you enemys to the ground 2. Meteor = Unleash a metear that does aoe dmg (well you will have meteor which is already developed) 3. Phoenix Talon = You charge into melee range, and apply a fiery dot to the target, the dot can stack 5 times maximum doing x amount of dmg.

The fiery talon dot could work with combustion so that you actually have an exiting gameplay to it.

Basicly you play it like: Predict somewhere where you could die in a fight --> Die --> Rise as a phoenix --> Do dmg 30 second and apply the phoenix talon debuff 5 times --> At the end of the phoenix, use Fireball Volley to built a big ignite, have 5 stack from phoenix talon up, Hit combustion!

It would actually need some understanding of fights and undestanding how to die, or even use some items that make you die to use this spell, it would work perfectly with combustion if tunes right, we would be the phoenix for 30 second with some cool animation (like demon form for warlock), meteor would not get wasted!
    yee that just screams pvp balance...

make it smth like frost orb , but in shape of phoenix that shots flamewaves around and gives you heating up procs

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    I suppose you are right, more buttons doesn't equal more complexity. I also feel like passive damage bonuses are not helping complexity either.
    The nice thing about passives is that if you make them right they make the buttons you're already pushing more significant. For example, for brewmasters we have a tier bonus that heals us when we cleanse our stagger debuff. That's a passive thing... it's not a new button, we already have purifying brew. However, it makes its use far more complex and it makes that button something more significant.

I'd say that passives can do a lot more to make deeper combat than more active abilities, which, let's face it, can cause a lot of clutter. Most passives I've seen in game aren't just straight damage boosters. Most change what an ability does. Even if it IS technically just a damage boost, saying something like "Frostfire bolt does x% more damage on targets below y% health" does change how you fight. Do that in enough meaningful ways and you have a complex system with minimal buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    The nice thing about passives is that if you make them right they make the buttons you're already pushing more significant. For example, for brewmasters we have a tier bonus that heals us when we cleanse our stagger debuff. That's a passive thing... it's not a new button, we already have purifying brew. However, it makes its use far more complex and it makes that button something more significant.

I'd say that passives can do a lot more to make deeper combat than more active abilities, which, let's face it, can cause a lot of clutter. Most passives I've seen in game aren't just straight damage boosters. Most change what an ability does. Even if it IS technically just a damage boost, saying something like "Frostfire bolt does x% more damage on targets below y% health" does change how you fight. Do that in enough meaningful ways and you have a complex system with minimal buttons.
    I know only the basic of the basics for monk tanking, but that tier bonus doesn't sound like it alters your decision making for cleansing your stagger debuff - rather it just makes it better than it currently is, which is extremely boring and does nothing to change the complexity of your spec. With the type of damage in SoO compared to ToT the stagger cleansing became weaker (or so I've been told), leading to monk tanks taking more damage than they use to, so that bonus helps to offset that. This could be totally wrong, as I'm piecing together that logic from random conversations I've had with monk tank friends and what they say about stagger and tanking.

A good example of a non-ability adding complexity is the 2pcT16 arcane, which I think is one of the best tier bonuses we've had in terms of being interesting and in what it adds to gameplay.

Offtopic - I really should just go arcane. Damn.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2013-11-26 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    I know only the basic of the basics for monk tanking, but that tier bonus doesn't sound like it alters your decision making for cleansing your stagger debuff - rather it just makes it better than it currently is. With the type of damage in SoO compared to ToT the stagger cleansing became weaker (or so I've been told), leading to monk tanks taking more damage than they use to, so that bonus helps to offset that. This could be totally wrong, as I'm piecing together that logic from random conversations I've had with monk tank friends and what they say about stagger and tanking.
    Yes and no.

Stagger is never really that big of an issue for survival (as it's a DoT) so unless you're getting spiked (or about to get a buttload of spike damage) generally it's not a big deal to keep it.

So what this tier bonus does is it gives you a way to reduce that overall damage but makes timing it a bit more important since you want to max out that heal you get from it. You'll still use it to cleanse stagger and at that point, yeah, it is basically just a better version of PB, but it does add a new avenue of when to use it to clear stagger... not so much to clear stagger, but for the healing.

Phoenix would actually be pretty cool as a self-popping CD.

Basically, you pop Phoenix at the beginning of a fight, it does it's thing for 30 seconds or so and then becomes ashes for 2mins and comes back for another 30 seconds.

Or have it reborn when you use Combustion or get a certain type of proc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Phoenix would actually be pretty cool as a self-popping CD.

Basically, you pop Phoenix at the beginning of a fight, it does it's thing for 30 seconds or so and then becomes ashes for 2mins and comes back for another 30 seconds.

Or have it reborn when you use Combustion or get a certain type of proc.
    That sounds awesome! I'm all for any idea that includes a pheonix.

What if we transformed into the phoenix, and our spells get empowered? like shaman ancestral form
    #1 fire mage US. u mirin'?
    "Aaah ah ah ah ah ah ah yea, f*ck me, ah, f*ck, aah yeah"
    - Jenna Jameson

We already have Flamestrike, which is directly taken from the blood mage (kael) in warcraft 3.

Also the phoenix in War3 is known for 2 things:
    - enemies in near melee get afflicted by a DoT (flame)
    - it turns into an egg upon death, then back into a phoenix after some time.

Having a "near melee" pet would definitely suck (various pet pathing issues like hunters/warlocks are having) - and making it apply a DoT in a 40 yard radius would be insane.
    Not to mention that it's rebirth ability is rather useless in WoW, since re-summoning a pet is very easy and most mobs/players completely ignore your pet anyway.

While definitely cool, the phoenix seems to have extremely limited usefulness in WoW - blizz could expand on it's spell repertoire and make it a long range pet (40yards), but then again it would be quite similar to Water Elemental in it's purpose.

They could make one that's essentially a warlock's infernal but with a phoenix model.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the Phoenix as a X min CD that effectively act as moving flame wall burning all in its path before disappearing.

Think a smaller version of the jade dragon cele flame wave ability.

Now the problem is figuring out what the talent would do for the other 2 specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I want whatever isn't in Diablo
    Hey I would love Disintegrate!

10+ Year Old Account
    But this isn't diablo.

Just get a glyph of CoC that turns it into a beam of flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    But this isn't diablo.

Just get a glyph of CoC that turns it into a beam of flame.
    Dragon's Breath? That thing I don't even have on my bars. lol