Budget family/office desktop

Budget $400, region US
    Have OS and peripherals. No parts available to be reused.

Looking for suggestions on parts for the sake of a family office desktop. No other requirements, no gaming other then facebook/flash based applications. User doesn't need a large HDD either (60GB+ would be overkill), though still looking to give them a speedy office machine. Appealing to the forum for help, and hoping to take advantage of the upcoming online deals available.

EDIT - Now looking into a compact solution, along the lines of HTPC I suppose.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2013-11-22 at 08:41 AM.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

This should do the trick for you. I'm hoping someone else comes along to critique it though, I'm not too good at doing budget systems, let alone budget AMD systems =)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.58 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 80GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($33.94 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($85.38 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $402.83
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 23:23 EST-0500)

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    -snip
    Appreciate the assist, though I've been looking at an A8 5600k system minus the dedicated GPU as I don't feel this user will need one.

Furthermore, I'm thinking a build with small capacity SSD as the user just doesn't do anything that requires any great deal of space.

However, I'm starting to feel that I should go for a compact build. Something more along the lines of an HTPC, which would be able to give the user everything she wants. (Web browsing, flash games, dvd playback) If I picked her up a wireless adapter, she'd absolutely love the damn thing.

I've never done anything outside of traditional mid tower builds. So this is new territory for me.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($39.97 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61MV-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.91 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.00 @ B&H)
    Case: Apex MI-008 Mini ITX Tower Case w/250W Power Supply ($49.19 @ OutletPC)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $297.05
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 03:24 EST-0500)

I have built 2 of the above machine for office use and they are also excellent for htpc use. The reason I'm suggesting ivy instead of Haswell is the 1150 Celerons probably wont be out till early next year.

I know the psu included with the case is of questionable quality but of 3 machines I have built with it all are fine and my own has been going strong for almost 2 years now. I'm also aware that the board is limited to sata2 however it shouldn't add more then a second to boot time.

If you have any questions about cable routing or component placement don't hesitate to ask.

@Lordsphinx I really wouldn't consider your build a budget office build but more so a budget gaming build because you invested more into the cpu and an entry level gpu.
    On top of that you picked an extremely slow laptop drive which will drag down the snappiness of the system
    Last edited by lockblock; 2013-11-22 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    -snip

I have built 2 of the above machine for office use and they are also excellent for htpc use. The reason I'm suggesting ivy instead of Haswell is the 1150 Celerons probably wont be out till early next year.

I know the psu included with the case is of questionable quality but of 3 machines I have built with it all are fine and my own has been going strong for almost 2 years now. I'm also aware that the board is limited to sata2 however it shouldn't add more then a second to boot time.

If you have any questions about cable routing or component placement don't hesitate to ask.

-snip
    I'm pretty impressed with that build for that price tag, though I'd shop around a bit in regards to case.

Should I be worried about the igpu on the G1610 compared to an APU equivalent, even with the build being an HTPC rig?
    I guess the worst case scenario is I end up picking up an HD 7770 at a later date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    I'm pretty impressed with that build for that price tag, though I'd shop around a bit in regards to case.

Should I be worried about the igpu on the G1610 compared to an APU equivalent, even with the build being an HTPC rig?
    I guess the worst case scenario is I end up picking up an HD 7770 at a later date.
    The igpu only becomes a bottleneck if she intends to play games that demand a semi powerful gpu.
    Flash based games such as those on facebook can rely entirely on the cpu if need be and the g1610 has more then enough.
    As for media most high bit blu-rays or loss less rips of them will only use 30-60% of that cpu without any gpu assistance.