Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoD: New stats and changes to old ones

Warlords of Draenor is making alot of changes to player and item stats. Some stats are being removed, others are being altered and there's even a whole bunch of NEW secondary stats being introduced as well as an entirely new type of stat. I thought it would be a good idea to lay out all the changes in a way that makes sense, because it's actually a bit confusing.

Reforging is being removed from the game, and less items will have gem slots or be able to be enchanted but gems and enchantments themselves will be more powerful and have more options.

Primary stats on 'main' armor pieces (Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Gloves, Legs etc) will transform to match your current spec. For example a Mail helm drops from a raid boss: to a Hunter it has Agility but to a Resto Shaman it has Intellect. Switching specs will also cause that helm to change to suit whatever spec you are currently playing.

It was mentioned that Primary stats will not appear on certain items such as Necks and other 'non main' slots.

Tertiary stats are extra bonus stats that can appear on conventional items in addition to Primary and Secondary stats and will be somewhat rare. It is unlikely you will be able to stack Tertiary stats due to their rarity. No word yet on if it will be possible to gem or enchant them, but this is also unlikely.

It is possible that certain Tertiary stats will only appear on specific item slots; eg. Speed will only be on Boots, Lifesteal only on Gloves etc but Blizzard are still undecided about this.

Hit & Expertise are being removed completely.
    Parry & Dodge are being removed, but players will still be able to parry and dodge attacks via their abilities.

PRIMARY STATS:
    Stamina, Agility, Intellect, Strength

SECONDARY STATS:
    Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery, Armor, Spirit, Amplify, Multistrike, Readiness, Attack Power, Spell Power.

TERTIARY STATS:
    Avoidance, Cleave, Lifesteal, Speed, Sturdiness.

What the new Secondary stats do:

Armor:
    Most gear will still have a standard amount of Armor as it always has, but bonus Armor can also appear on certain Weapons, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets and Cloaks. Armor is the Tanking stat.

Spirit:
    Spirit can only appear on certain Weapons, Rings, Necklaces, Trinkets and Cloaks. Spirit is the Healing stat, and will continue to work much like it does today, although apparently you won't need as much.

Amplify:
    Amplifies all of your other secondary stats by X%.

Multistrike:
    Grants your attacks an X% chance to deal additional damage.

Readiness:
    Reduces the cooldowns of some of your main abilities by X%.

Attack Power & Spell Power:
    Pretty self explanatory. Can appear on any gear just like it used to in the Burning Crusade and before.

What Tertiary stats do:

Avoidance:
    Reduces damage taken from AOE abilities by X%.

Cleave:
    Grants your attacks an X% chance to hit additional nearby enemies.

Lifesteal:
    Causes every hit to leech X% health from enemy targets.

Speed:
    Increases your movement speed by X%. Stacks with other speed increases, but will have a (generous) cap.

Sturdiness:
    Reduces durability loss when you die by X%.

So, we are going from just a handful of secondary stats to 10, plus 5 possible tertiary stats. This is going to make gear in Wow ALOT more interesting. It may also cause some theorycrafters' and simcrafters' brains to implode... or at least get very annoyed.

I've gathered this information from Blizzcon and Twitter and am relatively sure it's all correct. But feel free to tell me if I've got something wrong or left something out.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-11-23 at 03:48 AM.

seems like it could make gearing and looking for that perfect piece of gear kind of fun.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    SECONDARY STATS:
    Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery, Armor, Spirit, Amplify, Multistrike, Readiness, Attack Power, Spell Power.
    Something tells me that's not been presented right, that seems like way too many secondary stats to show on your stat screen.

Have they confirmed AP/SP is coming back on items? Because I have heard absolutely 0 about that. Same goes for a number of these stats. From my understanding it goes like this.

PRIMARY STATS:
    Stamina, Agility, Intellect, Strength

SECONDARY STATS:
    Crit, Haste, Mastery, Armor, Spirit.

TERTIARY STATS:
    Avoidance, Cleave, Lifesteal, Movement Speed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Have they confirmed AP/SP is coming back on items? Because I have heard absolutely 0 about that. Same goes for a number of these stats. From my understanding it goes like this.
    Yes. It was in one of the recent interviews, I think.

I hadn't heard about amplify, multistrike, or readiness actually being confirmed as stats though. I only remember them being mentioned as possible ideas. Did they confirm them somewhere?

Originally Posted by Celestalon
    Amplify, Multistrike, and Readiness are secondary stats. Cleave is tertiary.
    https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...07840822386689

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Jewelry etc. likely won't ever have primary stats. They may have attack power, but mostly secondary stats.
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...19525828857856

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, interesting. I need to get a Twitter account; I only ever see the Twitter posts when they're on the front page here. >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Originally Posted by Celestalon
    Amplify, Multistrike, and Readiness are secondary stats. Cleave is tertiary.
    https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...07840822386689

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Jewelry etc. likely won't ever have primary stats. They may have attack power, but mostly secondary stats.
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...19525828857856
    Cool, that's a great bunch of stats.
    So much about shortly having only "power" as stat on gear.

Amplify, Multistrike, and Readiness sound like fun

I've gathered this information from Blizzcon and Twitter and am relatively sure it's all correct.
    1) Multistrike:https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...15506569953280
    2) Amplify: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...14937218338816
    3) Cleave: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...08273407270912

If you want the correct mechanics.

I assume tanks will go for:

PS:
    Stamina, Strenght

SS:
    Armor, Mastery, Readiness, Amplify

Sounds cool to me.
    Last edited by Drekmar; 2013-11-22 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am looking forward to this.

These stat changes are shaping up to be THE thing I am most excited about for the expansion.
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Something tells me that's not been presented right, that seems like way too many secondary stats to show on your stat screen.
    Actually, that's only 3 more than we have now, the rest is already present anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh God please let enchants be putting tertiary stats on something. That would actually make me feel like choosing an enchant would be actual deep gameplay rather than just picking the one with the highest stat in my priority. You could use it to offset weaknesses or stack a particular one. You could imagine that if you were dying too much you could enchant all for avoidance or lifesteal, otherwise you could stack cleave once you're comfortable. It'd be more fluid and kind of add that level of customization that reforge is losing but without the penalty for not doing it in the Min/Max way.

I only ever see the Twitter posts when they're on the front page here.
    Last edited by quandtrtle; 2013-11-23 at 03:25 AM.

I just want to say thanks to the OP. You made it little less confusing and I actually feel ok about the new stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    I assume tanks will go for:

PS:
    Stamina, Strenght

SS:
    Armor, Mastery, Readiness, Amplify

Sounds cool to me.
    You won't go for primary stats at all if I understood correctly.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    You won't go for primary stats at all if I understood correctly.
    Not so much won't go for them as not get a choice anyway.

Not that you'd have one now.

This actually is really interesting, and I am honestly thankful for no more Expertise or Hit, it sucked when an item was a good upgrade but it took you below the hit or expertise caps.

What the OP is missing:

There are ARMOR pieces, which may include cloak but definitely include head/shoulders/chest/legs/gloves/bracers/boots.
    These ALWAYS have stamina and a morphstat that becomes str/int/agi depending on your current spec. They ALSO have secondary stats, but the list is NOT what is listed above. It is crit/haste/mastery/amplify/readiness/multistrike.

Stats like spirit, armor, and MAYBE attack power and spellpower, do NOT appear on these items.

Then there's jewelry, which includes neck and rings, and may really apply to trinkets and weapons too. These can have spirit and armor, but it looks like they NEVER have Int,Str, and Agi. They can likely have AP and SP as a way of making them not ANYONE'S gear.

So, right now, it looks like:

Your armor pieces will work for ALL your specs.
    Your non-armor pieces may be very specific still, but won't have a mainstat on them. They may have spirit (healer only) or armor (tank only), but there's no dps only stat.

It's likely they are considering every armor piece to look like:

Stamina
    Morphstat (Int/Str/Agi)
    Agnostic Secondary Stat 1 (Crit/Haste/Mastery/Multistrike/Readiness/Amplify)
    Agnostic Secondary Stat 2 (Crit/Haste/Mastery/Multistrike/Readiness/Amplify)

And then necks and rings will be like:

Stamina
    Attack Power -OR- Spell Power
    Secondary Stat 1 (Crit/Haste/Mastery/Multistrike/Readiness/Amplify/Spirit/Armor)
    Secondary Stat 1 (Crit/Haste/Mastery/Multistrike/Readiness/Amplify/Spirit/Armor)

(with the restriction that a piece won't have both spirit and armor, and spirit won't appear on an attack power piece, and armor won't appear on a spell power piece)

Weapons will either be:

Stamina
    Attack Power
    Secondary Stat
    Secondary Stat

and
    Stamina
    Spell Power
    Secondary Stat
    Secondary Stat

Or continue like today. Note that if they move away from Int/Agi/Str on weapons, that a one-handed sword will be death knights / warriors / rogues / monks again.