Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Is Whirlwind at all used by Arms in PvE?

I read guides such as the ones on this forum and Icy Veins and Noxxic - but i am still a bit unclear about Whirlwind and it's place in Arms AoE PvE rotation.

Does Arms use Whirlwind when there are only 2-3 targets?

Does Arms use Whirlwind when there are 4 or more targets?

Thank you for helping me out.

Deleted
    2-3 targets > Thunderclap for bleeding effect on everybody, SS up then single target rotation.
    4+ targets > thunderclap > ww,ww,ww (with gathering rage with MS and enraging urself)

Deleted
    Slam Cleaving (Sweeping Strikes up + hammering Slam) has a very limited range (2 yards), so if you're fighting againt 4+ targets and those are somewhat spread out, you start using whirlwind, while keeping up deep wounds via thunderclap.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    For me nope i use Bladestorm/Bloodbath XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    For me nope i use Bladestorm/Bloodbath XD
    This, i can't see how ww is a dps gain for arms in any fight. Either the adds die during a bladestorm or they are close enough to slam cleave them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stryher107 View Post
    2-3 targets > Thunderclap for bleeding effect on everybody, SS up then single target rotation.
    4+ targets > thunderclap > ww,ww,ww (with gathering rage with MS and enraging urself)
    This is not correct. You never use WW as Arms. If you can't slam/cleave, you do the normal AoE rotation. But if you can't slame/cleave there is no reason to play arms anyway.

You used to use whirlwind in the previous patch not anymore though, slamcleave/thunderclap and bladestorm now.

Huh? Why dump 30 rage in WW when you could slam or keep up SS, or even save rage for a CS window.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    This is not correct. You never use WW as Arms. If you can't slam/cleave, you do the normal AoE rotation. But if you can't slame/cleave there is no reason to play arms anyway.
    Glad i'm not the only one who went dafuq when i read that quoted post

I removed it from my action bar. Thunderclap to appliy Deep Wounds, keep up Sweeping Strikes, and Slam away.

Slam cleave range is too small. Too often that I'm in a pack of 10 mobs, and slam only hits 4 mobs because they're slightly spread around. If slam cleave range was buffed to 8 yards, I would take whirlwind off my bars. But 2 yards is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Slam cleave range is too small. Too often that I'm in a pack of 10 mobs, and slam only hits 4 mobs because they're slightly spread around. If slam cleave range was buffed to 8 yards, I would take whirlwind off my bars. But 2 yards is too small.
    This here. It's situational, play smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Adsertif View Post
    Huh? Why dump 30 rage in WW when you could slam or keep up SS, or even save rage for a CS window.
    its 20 rage. not that it matters, the damage is a joke and thunderclap hits harder for 10 rage. too bad tc has a cd

15+ Year Old Account
    I cannot possibly imagine how WW can compete with Bladestorm+Sweeping Strikes+Bloodbath, it's insanity how much DPS that does. I can do over 1 million DPS with those 3 abilities on certain trash pulls, and like 400k on Galakras. No way that WW competes with that. From my experience, WW is only worth something as Fury, because you're usually going to pick Dragon Roar as Fury over Bladestorm, being more focused on single target dps anyway.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I cannot possibly imagine how WW can compete with Bladestorm+Sweeping Strikes+Bloodbath, it's insanity how much DPS that does. I can do over 1 million DPS with those 3 abilities on certain trash pulls, and like 400k on Galakras. No way that WW competes with that. From my experience, WW is only worth something as Fury, because you're usually going to pick Dragon Roar as Fury over Bladestorm, being more focused on single target dps anyway.
    I'd advise against giving advice based on "my experience" unless you are either a known skilled warrior, or a warrior whose good enough to defend the claims he makes. Especially when you're saying "no way it is as good as X my experience tells me". It's just not very useful data.

Anyway I can't think of a fight where enough adds aren't stacked enough to make slam/cleave not worth it, yet still make arms a good spec to play, where just using TC on CD and normal SS/ST rotation isn't better than using WW.

You say you read the guides, which tell you not to use WW. Then you ask if you should use WW. I am boggled.

Also, these kind of questions should really go in the guides thread. Either way, WW is simply not efficient. Slam's damage exceeds it by far in almost any conceivable situation. And it completely eclipses it in every practical situation.
    Consider not only the rage efficiency and damage per GCD, but also Slams buffed damage during CS (which you should still be using, AoE or not).

Since some people refuse to listen; Collision Math™ is on the case. Stand by for ridiculously overcomplicated pictures and spreadsheets that will show proof, assuming anyone is actually educated enough to read them (I know I'm not! )

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd advise against giving advice based on "my experience" unless you are either a known skilled warrior, or a warrior whose good enough to defend the claims he makes. Especially when you're saying "no way it is as good as X my experience tells me". It's just not very useful data.

Anyway I can't think of a fight where enough adds aren't stacked enough to make slam/cleave not worth it, yet still make arms a good spec to play, where just using TC on CD and normal SS/ST rotation isn't better than using WW.
    It's a good thing I do own a skilled Warrior then. Last I checked, raid progression != skill. I don't raid anymore. So fuck off with your ignorant ass rude comments.

Don't flame other people, please.
    Last edited by Senen; 2013-11-24 at 10:19 AM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Where the hell is your experience then bro?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherHansen View Post
    Where the hell is your experience then bro?
    Dark makes a valid point, though he doesn't always make it as well as he should.
    In softer terms, what he tries to say is that "in my experience" is an extremely vague and undefinable metric in a world of RNG. Sure, you may have used Whirlwind over Slam cleave a few times it felt better. That doesn't mean that was the reason for your higher numbers. If I abstain from using Heroic Leap inside CS, I may see higher DPS than if I had used it inside CS purely because of RNG on other factors.

Math doesn't lie (most of the time!), some people may feel that an alternate way is better, or suits them, that doesn't mean that it is actually better. But just think, when 3 guides say not to use Whirlwind, and none of the top Arms Warriors (man I feel weird just saying that) use Whirlwind. I think you already have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    If I abstain from using Heroic Leap inside CS, I may see higher DPS than if I had used it inside CS purely because of RNG on other factors.
    People still do that? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Math doesn't lie (most of the time!), some people may feel that an alternate way is better, or suits them, that doesn't mean that it is actually better. But just think, when 3 guides say not to use Whirlwind, and none of the top Arms Warriors (man I feel weird just saying that) use Whirlwind. I think you already have your answer.
    And this. Remember, if there's shitloads of adds, go Bloodbath + Bladestorm, get Sweeping Strikes up and just roflstorm those things. Instant-success.