10+ Year Old Account

So I was pointed into a new direction today about reality

So this might sound dumb but. I was with out electricity today and when I have nothing to do my mind wonders. And I was thinking about what life is like in Laos a land locked country right next to Vietnam and Thai land. And I was thinking what is life down their. And their life is different to Western culture. So I wont go deep into it but I was thinking is their actually a reality because everyone's life is different so their life is different. It mind sound silly but.

So what my question is. Will their every be a shared reality that everyone knows or a aspect that everyone once or does shared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    So this might sound dumb but. I was with out electricity today and when I have nothing to do my mind wonders. And I was thinking about what life is like in Laos a land locked country right next to Vietnam and Thai land. And I was thinking what is life down their. And their life is different to Western culture. So I wont go deep into it but I was thinking is their actually a reality because everyone's life is different so their life is different. It mind sound silly but.

So what my question is. Will their every be a shared reality that everyone knows or a aspect that everyone once or does shared.
    First, questions of morality and the greater human experience usually never go too far or constructively on MMO champion because they aren't about cold science.

But to answer your question, almost all people, in the grander sense of the word, "want" the same things... they just have different ways of going about it,
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our experiences differ, but the reality is the same. Let's take a natural disaster like an earthquake, for example:

An earthquake happens in Japan. This does not affect me in any way, and none of my experiences are impacted by it. It does affect Kimiko, who lost her house to it. In my experience of reality, it might as well not have happened. But it did happen.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

https://www.youtube.com/v/lC4FnfNKwUo

You aren't the first to think about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Our experiences differ, but the reality is the same. Let's take a natural disaster like an earthquake, for example:

An earthquake happens in Japan. This does not affect me in any way, and none of my experiences are impacted by it. It does affect Kimiko, who lost her house to it. In my experience of reality, it might as well not have happened. But it did happen.
    I believe we all create our own personal versions of a reality BECAUSE our experiences differ. I'm terrible at explaining my thoughts but I'll try. I'm a different person to every person I know. My Dad sees me as he does, my friends see me as a completely different person, I'm completely different to strangers, girlfriend, etc. So in essence, I'm a completely different person in each of these people's realities and that contributes to their construction of said reality. Hope that makes some sense.

Maybe once Macdonalds manages to get a restaurant in everyones local village we will all get to experience a happy meal, other than that not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You are (likely forever) trapped within your own subjective experience.
    The borg! AHHHH!

But really... We all share a reality. It's like being in a house together, and we're all looking out different windows, telling each other what we see. That's not a complete description, but good enough for my purposes.

Edit: Also, this isn't really new. People have been thinking about similar things for a very long time. Say, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-11-25 at 11:34 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

My preschool teacher was Laotian, and in no uncertain terms said it sucks to live there.

Warlords, cartels, slavers etc; and let's not forget the genocidal civil war.
    --------------------
    I'm not sure what question you're really asking though, your phrasing is vague.

No we will not attain a hivemind, yes we share many of the same experiences and emotions.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as I don't watch Star Trek. Are you referring to their whole assimilation thing, which would result in shared experience?
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post

How about the one we're in, genius...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Our realities readily diverge...
    This is perception, not reality.

Regardless, he asked if there will be a "shared reality everyone knows". The reality we are in is not a reality everyone knows.
    Yeah? We're in a reality not everyone knows? You think there are people out there who don't believe there is such a thing as reality? Well... there are solipsists, I guess...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Yeah? We're in a reality not everyone knows? You think there are people out there who don't believe there is such a thing as reality? Well... there are solipsists, I guess...
    I think that the op is speaking of "reallity" has what you fell that is real, things you see fel taste, and not the reallity of things.

A crude exemple: Orange is a fruit is the reallity, now the op may not likeoranges so to him the "reaallity" is that oranges are bad in taste however i may like oranges so to me the "reallity" is that oranges are delicious.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    You need to travel a bit, then you can answer your own questions.

Deleted
    The details of our experiences will never be identical. The reality we share is the same, but we only get to see fragments of it, and different fragments.

However.

Those differences are far from the whole story.

The core of our different experiences is often largely the same.

We all will experience love, loss, separation, belonging, loneliness, aging, solitude, joy, fear of loss, hope of love and so on.
    We all have out basic driving forces boiling down to some core needs - the physical ones, and the more existential ones. The need to love and be loved, the need for community and being heard and seen, the need to understand and to explore, the need for freedom and the need for home, the need for adventure and the need for familiarity and the inverse of all those - the fear of rejection and the fear of entrapment and fear for physical safety and of course the inevitable one, the fear of dying.

This is why we still care for other people, because we, as humans, are gifted with empathy. Although we can deride whenever empathy fails, in general, we are able to relate to other people, and be related to in return, even though our subjective experience is not identical, because as humans, we still share a very common experience.

And as humans, one of our most distinct skills is that of pattern recognition. One of the patterns we are able to recognize is that of "your life is similar to mine, in spite of all the difference. And you are different from me, but we still have so much in common".

This is why we care, and I know it is fashionable to whine that "people" (meaning everyone else except yourself, presumably) don't care, but for the most part we actually do.
    Last edited by mmocef71e99c15; 2013-11-25 at 01:53 PM.

There are core fundamental truths that are universal among all humans who then act upon and are in turn acted upon by the environment in which they live to determine their own perception of reality.

In other words, all people share the fundamental reality of being human while the sum of their experiences shape the person they become and how they interact with their environment which impacts and shapes their environment which in turn acts back upon them and others who share the same environment and also affect and are affected by it.

Take this formula, apply it to everyone and everything that has ever existed up to this present point in time and you have the collective state of all the matter in the universe that could be described as "reality".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post

I'm not sure what question you're really asking though, your phrasing is vague.
    I felt the same way..
    The only sense I was able to make of it, was the question points towards how life is in regions that are not in the stranglehold of high tech gadgets and modern infrastructure.
    I believe, in many aspects their life ain't as comfortable as ours.
    But in some aspect they have an advantage over us. If you take away all of our high tech convenience, even only some power outage that lasts for a day or two, we find ourselves in an estranged situation, where we at first don't know what to do with ourselves.. A power outage is always a neat little wakeup call of how high tech dependent our lives became in our western societies.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Your questions are not to the point. The formulation is vague. The spelling is so bad that I had to stop and think about what you actually mean.

I had a friend at university who did his masters on reality and if there is only one reality and if we can ever perceive it. I am interested in philosophy and physics, not an expert but I have been reading about it quite a bit in my spare time. He lost me somewhere in the first 5 sentences. This stuff is just too weird.

Specially if you can't even formulate your thougths more precisely than in the OP.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

15+ Year Old Account
    Our realities readily diverge. An example: A coworker tells you Jim said something dickish about you. For whatever reason, you never confront Jim about it. It's maybe not a universal human behavior, but it isn't uncommon to handle it that way either. Your reality is now that Jim is an asshole and you are just dandy. Suppose then that Jim either said something positive about you or nothing about you at all and your coworker misheard him or outright lied to you. You behave in a way befitting Jim's asshole status. Suppose he never confronts you about it either. Now Jim's reality is that you are an asshole and he's just dandy. You now occupy two similar, but different realities. So too do world views such as religious views, conspiracy views, whatever science you believe is credible, or the lack of any of those particular views alter the reality that you exist in. We acquire knowledge through fallible perception and extrapolating from information acquired from that perspective. We cannot step outside of it to objectively check for errors.
    awesome read, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not travel to those countries and "expand" your reality abit? Or keep as open a mind as you can manage when talking to people everyday, you'll realise how many different versions of "reality" can be occurring in any one situation.