Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Free Will: Illusion?

What chemical reaction produces a force existing outside that of cause and effect? At what point do atoms collectively gain autonomy? Are our consciences not just the collective effect of chemicals and electrical circuits?

Do you believe in free will or not, and why do you hold that belief?

Note: Before you bring up the go-to quantum physics experiment resulting in "multiple different outcomes", remember that the results of that experiment are attributed to human's lack of understanding of quantum particle behavior. It's not as if each particle is just randomly selecting a path, there is a set cause and effect underlying these seemingly random outcomes that we are simply unaware of and have yet to understand. Yet some jackass scientists chose to think "well we know everything there is to know about quantum physics of course, yet for some reason we don't understand the paths of these quantum physics - so rather than acknowledge there's simply more for us to understand let's just say they act randomly!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a question I ask myself.

Oh the horrors of human conscience!

I think therefore I am.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Speaker View Post
    I think therefore I am.
    ....which has nothing to do with free will

10+ Year Old Account
    If free will exists, you asked this question because you think for yourself.

If free will doesn't exist, you asked this question because you were programmed to.

The end result is the same.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Give Free Will by Sam Harris a read. It's very short but incredibly precise and tackles this question very well.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    To some, the universe can be seen as a consequence of the deterministic physical interaction of atoms.

There's a pretty famous theoretical/quantum physicist who wrote quite a compelling argument for and against this. I read it a bit ago. I'll scrounge to see if I can find it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    It's not as if each particle is just randomly selecting a path, there is a set cause and effect underlying these seemingly random outcomes that we are simply unaware of and have yet to understand."
    How are you so sure? Quantum Field Theory is the most successful theory science has ever had. That being said, not every physicist accepts the "infinite outcome" explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread pops up every damn month, nobody can really say for sure, probably no free will but who cares really? -The end.
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmophile View Post
    How are you so sure? Quantum Field Theory is the most successful theory science has ever had. That being said, not every physicist accepts the "infinite outcome" explanation.
    He isn't saying the theory is wrong. He's saying that what we decipher to be random events are more likely to be predetermined events that seem random to us because we don't know all of the conditions involved, similarly to flipping a coin, but on a subatomic level.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If free will exists, you asked this question because you think for yourself.

If free will doesn't exist, you asked this question because you were programmed to.

The end result is the same.
    very respectable response. the answer is very irrelevant to living, for even if you do think free will is nonexistent that does not affect the fact you must live assuming its existence. i don't believe in free will, yet that doesn't stop me from "deciding" to answer this for example.

This thread pops up so much because someone just had this discussion in their Intro to Philosophy course and feel like discussing this groundbreaking new idea.

Free will is a meaningless concept.

Note: Before you bring up the go-to quantum physics experiment resulting in "multiple different outcomes", remember that the results of that experiment are attributed to human's lack of understanding of quantum particle behavior. It's not as if each particle is just randomly selecting a path, there is a set cause and effect underlying these seemingly random outcomes that we are simply unaware of and have yet to understand. Yet some jackass scientists chose to think "well we know everything there is to know about quantum physics of course, yet for some reason we don't understand the paths of these quantum physics - so rather than acknowledge there's simply more for us to understand let's just say they act randomly!"
    They behave randomly because the act of observation alters their behaviour. It isn't that we don't understand them yet, it's that we will never be able to because it's impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Free will is a meaningless concept.

They behave randomly because the act of observation alters their behaviour. It isn't that we don't understand them yet, it's that we will never be able to because it's impossible.
    This is absolutely true, but then it wouldn't be "random" as it's just another physical cause

Quote Originally Posted by ujx View Post
    This thread pops up so much because someone just had this discussion in their Intro to Philosophy course and feel like discussing this groundbreaking new idea.
    your condescension would be more understandable if you had answered the question along with it
    Last edited by diddle; 2013-11-25 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmophile View Post
    He isn't the party that's 'so sure' of something they aren't qualified to be sure about, here.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Precisely this. There is no way for us to observe anything on the quantum level in their natural patterns. The very act of observation alters the outcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    very respectable response. the answer is very irrelevant to living, for even if you do think free will is nonexistent that does not affect the fact you must live assuming its existence. i don't believe in free will, yet that doesn't stop me from "deciding" to answer this for example.
    The only discernible difference between free will existing and it not, is that in the latter you can see the end coming.

So, I suppose if you like suspense...
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Speaker View Post
    I think therefore I am.
    I am therefore I think. Without being first you cannot think.

Whoever said that quote didn't think it too deeply. How ironic.

Do you believe in free will or not, and why do you hold that belief?

1) Yes, because physics tells us that the Universe isn't deterministic. See below.

2) First bold has nothing at all to do with free will, no one would bring it up.
    3) Some jackass internet goers make generalizations and claim things that are completely untrue.
    4) No respectable physicist does that, your lack of understanding is showing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post
    I am therefore I think. Without being first you cannot think.

Whoever said that quote didn't think it too deeply. How ironic.
    The quote wasn't about cause and effect. It was an attempt to prove that they exist, which they know they do because they can think.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.