customer service at retail stores

Hey guys. I dunno what it's like in other countries which is why I'm asking. How do you find retail store service? Today I'm looking a bit daggy with my hair sticking out of my plait but clean and neat enough. So I went into one store and got ignored. Granted I don't think I saw any staff. Then I went into a jewelry store and was looking to buy some earrings as I seem to have lost one and I was completely ignored as I walked in. Then I found a pair I liked and there was a woman not serving anyone standing practically right across from me doing her damn best to pretend I don't exist. Even when looking at the items right in front of her she still ignored me -_- so I just walked out. I know it's not just me as they do tests like this on tv and the average person in jeans and tshirt get ignored by the staff but pretty woman in the expensive suit has everyone running to help. Last I checked my cash is just as good and I worked hard to earn it :/

Are retail stores in other countries this stupid? Do you get ignored because you aren't all made up just to go shopping?

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

So bad service in one store = bad service in all stores in your country? And did you think to maybe approach a sales person and say, "Excuse me, I'd like to purchase this" instead of just assuming they're ignoring you? And speaking as a woman who wears jeans and a tshirt the majority of the time, I've never had trouble getting assistance from a sales person when I needed it. Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see or perhaps you're giving others the impression you don't want to be approached by something other than your attire. Yeah, you can find bad customer service just about anywhere but I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't just ask for assistance rather than standing there staring at the clerk waiting for her to take the hint.

I think it's more a personal thing. Although if you look poor in a jewelry store it's understandable. It's a low income position that is generally filled by impassionate people. Or they're like me and overworked with 10 company mottos and impersonal greetings to recite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda depends on the local culture. Some places people don't like to be badgered by salespeople and prefer to have to approach them themselves and otherwise left alone, other places they want to be greeted and helped without asking.

But yeah, you can get bad customer service anywhere, and finding salespeople who ignore you (or treat you poorly) because you look like you're not a big spender isn't that uncommon.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

"Hi, I'm thinking about buying these right now."

Speak up.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

It sounds to me like you had the perfect experience: You went into a store and didn't get harassed by the employees!
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Tell the manager
    ???
    Profit?

doubt theyd be happy for losing potential sales

Lol its not just one type of store. My mum had the same at jb hi fi. Looking at laptops with dad and the staff completely ignored both. Even when dad said can we get help please the guy said "be with you in a sec" them went and served someone else and never came back to them. I've had it in shoe stores. Computer stores. The only stores I never get ignored in are games stores. Which is odd. :/

Deleted
    Minimum wage, minimum effort. That used to be my policy when I worked retail. I couldn't give a fuck about doing work. If I wasn't give a task to do I would just knock about messing around. Got fired a few times, did I give a fuck? No went and got another minumum wager. I'd be r8 cool to customers, had phenomenal banter, but if they didn't come asking me for owt they wouldn't get it. If you want help ask for it yo.

Well better that you got ignored and didn't ask for help even when the person was right in front of you than to walk into a store being a person of color, and having the sales staff go out of their way and even abandon their current customer to profile you and make sure you aren't stealing. Retail is retail, be glad there is a sales staff to even offer assistance in the next few days. Black Friday = sales people there to prevent you from stealing and directing traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Are retail stores in other countries this stupid? Do you get ignored because you aren't all made up just to go shopping?
    http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/w...tomer-service/

I invite you to read that.

But, TL;DR retail and fast food are INSANELY bad for managers/bosses thinking customers are actually always right. It makes for incredibly jaded employees who hate all customers because a lot of them are dicks. It's not you as a person. It's the mentality of their management treating their employees like shit and treating asshole customers like they're a fucking god.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/w...tomer-service/

I invite you to read that.

But, TL;DR retail and fast food are INSANELY bad for managers/bosses thinking customers are actually always right. It makes for incredibly jaded employees who hate all customers because a lot of them are dicks. It's not you as a person. It's the mentality of their management treating their employees like shit and treating asshole customers like they're a fucking god.
    I work in a call Centre. I know all about it. Everyone wants stuff and they want it NOW. I often wonder if the customers can hear us getting yelled at in the background. I can understand how they feel coz I cop that shit at work too and don't get paid neat enough top deal with asshole managers cracking the whip at us constantly and jerk customers but at the same time i also don't take it out on the next person coz the previous was a prick. It's not fair. That said I have it easier as I don't have to be face to face