View Poll Results: Is it a breach of human rights?

Voters
325. This poll is closed
  • Yes, it is a clear breach of human rights.

121 37.23%
  • No, it's not a breach of human rights.

186 57.23%
  • I'm not sure/undecided.

18 5.54%
Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Deleted

Angola bans Islam

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/...s-mosques.html

According to several Angolan newspapers, Angola has banned Islam, condemning it as "illegal" and taking first measures by destroying different mosques in the Southwest African nation.

“The process of legalization of Islam has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights, their mosques would be closed until further notice,” Rosa Cruz e Silva, the Angolan Minister of Culture, was quoted by Agence Ecofin on Friday, November 22.
    Then there is this:
    The Angolan government would also be obliged to update the current national context as a way of fighting the rise of new religious congregation whose religious assemblies are contrary to “habits and customs to Angolan culture,” Silva added.

Same as Islam, Silva announced that there are at least 194 religious sects that were not authorized to have their activities.
    Is it right to prohibit things that go against habits and customs of the countries culture?

“This is the final end of Islamic influence in our country,” President José Eduardo dos Santos was quoted by Osun Defender newspaper on Sunday, November 24.
    He added that Muslims were not welcome in Angola and that the government would not legalize the presence of mosques in the country.
    Do you feel it is a breach of human rights to ban Islam and mosques?
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2013-11-26 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good on them, I say. And I'm not trying to be anti-Islam or anything. But they've decided that they don't want a religion in their country, and they're putting their (collective) foot down on the issue. They have, for whatever reasons (I don't have time to read the article fully) deemed Islam against their country, and they have every right to do it. If people don't like it, they're free to move away, at least I'm assuming they aren't being held in-country against their will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I obviously wouldn't want my religion banned, but I have to admire them for having the guts to do it, just as I admire Putin for banning homosexuality ( note I don't hate Islam or homosexuality, I admire the leaders for having the ''idgaf'' attitude to do what they want ).

Now, moving to Islam- my greatest concern is circumcision and how they treat women, both of which I feel violates human rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    You also have to understand that the entire world doesn't view "human rights" the same way as the Western World does. I'm not just talking about the US, either.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Well, technically I suppose it is, but I don't believe freedom of religion should be any sort of 'right' in the first place. Can't help but worry about the uproar that's inevitable. This seems like courting disaster to me.

I'd be so happy if that would happen in my country (germany) but with every religion that's practised here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religion is NOT a human right. Belief is..

All religions should be banned from public space, world wide...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    You also have to understand that the entire world doesn't view "human rights" the same way as the Western World does. I'm not just talking about the US, either.
    Of course.

But I'm not going to accept their culture and mutilating babies just because their '' human rights '' are different from mine.

I don't care if their spaghetti monster asks them to sacrifice kids, it's still an abomination.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Religion is NOT a human right. Belief is..

All religions should be banned from public space, world wide...
    Wow, it only took a few posts for this to show up.

The Godwins practically write themselves with this one.

I imagine they feel safe doing this because (at least according to the article) Muslims are in an extreme minority in that country. I wonder how far the government will choose to escalate if Muslims continue to worship in basements and local communities.

It is interesting, however I am now waiting to see how many attacks by extremists on the Angola government buildings will suddenly start happening. Going to be interesting to see, even though I don't agree with the banning (I believe in religious freedoms even though I personally don't believe in anything myself).

I have a question for those who think that's not a breach of human rights. How would you feel if your country bans atheism/non-religion, meaning you have to start going to church or whatever if you live in that country?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Is it right to prohibit things that go against habits and customs of the countries culture?
    No. Or more to the point, being contrary to the established customs of a region is not sufficient reason to prohibit something.

However this is Angola we're talking about so no doubt all sides of the debate are morally reprehensible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. People so quick to jump on banning things in favor of establishing a single belief system throughout their nation.

Isn't the internet just full of wonderful people?

But hey, banning religions has worked so swimmingly in the past, right?

...right?

Quote Originally Posted by thoruga View Post
    I have a question for those who think that's not a breach of human rights. How would you feel if your country bans atheism/non-religion, meaning you have to start going to church or whatever if you live in that country?
    BUT BUT BUT that would mean enforcing a certain belief system on a populace that doesn't share or subscribe to it! And that would be wrong!

But telling people they can't practice a religion and have to do something else? Totally okay.

Amiright, internet?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-11-26 at 08:00 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I obviously wouldn't want my religion banned, but I have to admire them for having the guts to do it, just as I admire Putin for banning homosexuality ( note I don't hate Islam or homosexuality, I admire the leaders for having the ''idgaf'' attitude to do what they want ).

Now, moving to Islam- my greatest concern is circumcision and how they treat women, both of which I feel violates human rights.
    I think you are confusing Muslim men with Islamic faithfuls. Women are a big part of Islamic religion. It is the culture that is bad to women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.

There's no idgaf about it, those leaders reap the benefits of massive public support because their countries are extremely homophobic/Islamophobic. They didn't have guts, quite the opposite.

Try to ban homosexuality in Canada, or Islam in Iran, then you can claim to have balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by thoruga View Post
    True belief isn't a conscious decision as much as it is a compulsion outside of the realm of choice. Banning 'beliefs' is nonsensical. What you can ban are practices, and atheism, of itself, entails none.

It's ironic, though, that even if you would elect to make it compulsory for everyone to go to church on Sundays, that would piss off more Christians than atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course.
    I was actually referring to the OP, since the poll talks about Human Rights as if every country accepts them as we do :-P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There's no idgaf about it, those leaders reap the benefits of massive public support because their countries are extremely homophobic/Islamophobic. They didn't have guts, quite the opposite.

Try to ban homosexuality in Canada, or Islam in Iran, then you can claim to have balls.
    ...are you trying to say a large majority of Canada is gay...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Well, as an atheist i would rather have religion banned altogether on a global scale, not just islam or in one country. But that is probably never going to happen.

And freedom of religion is part of the basic human rights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r...nal_protection (the Freedom of thought, conscience and religion paragraf).
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    True belief isn't a conscious decision as much as it is a compulsion outside of the realm of choice. Banning 'beliefs' is nonsensical. What you can ban are practices, and atheism, of itself, entails none.
    Historically the act of banning religious practices (and those going AGAINST religious practices) have all failed. Sometimes very catastrophically.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.