Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

(TL:DR)solution to flying in WoD

Haven't heard the blues give any possible *solutions* to their customers, only acting defensive and trying to point out the fallacies in customers' arguments. So here is the ultimate breaker: if preventing flying is solely to "untrivialize" the leveling component (to wit: questing) then the solution is simple: just put the object of the quest inside a cabin, cave, underground, etc.

e.g. Quest NPC: "Hello adventurer, I took an arrow in the knee so I can't provide clothes for my family. Would you please fly halfway across this continent and kill bears and bring me back 10 bare asses so I can make clothes for my children? They are in that cave by that lake near that place way over there."

This prevents the tiresome argument of "...swooping in and killing quest NPC then flying away..." since what people aren't understanding is that the bitching is mostly due to the waste of time having to get to the area in the first place! We (at least, I) am/are not complaining about the lack of flying per se, only about the amount of wasted travel time, over and over and over, to get there and back. Once, is cool and fresh and exciting. More than that is a PITA and waste of time dealing with the S.O.S. every time (= boring).

So, I must conclude that the devs are forcing non-flying only in order to lengthen the time it takes to level, to force us to see certain lore to further their storyline, and to force us to see how beautifully they textured those new trees. Admirable perhaps, but they forget the golden rule of letting their customers play the game our way and not just their way.

They're forcing no flying because you're supposed to be in danger when you're out in the world. They've spelled that out quite clearly.

Besides, many of those customers don't like the effect flying mounts have on the game either, so that's an irrelevant last sentence.

So... instead of making flying unavailable, they should put everything in caves (where flying has always been unavailable)? How does that even make a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caanrial View Post
    then the solution is simple: just put the object of the quest inside a cabin, cave, underground, etc.
    Wouldn't it look quite bland to have every single Quest located indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    They're forcing no flying because you're supposed to be in danger when you're out in the world. They've spelled that out quite clearly.

Besides, many of those customers don't like the effect flying mounts have on the game either, so that's an irrelevant last sentence.
    They are forcing no flying because they are unable to create enough content, so the only thing they can do is slow the player down artifically with no real explanation other then "it's more fun this way!".

or how about this :

Magic Potion of Unbinding - Available in Blizzard store for only $14.89! Fly at the release!

The solution is that if you really really wanna fly, you must go so far that you must buy it.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caanrial View Post
    So here is the ultimate breaker: if preventing flying is solely to "untrivialize" the leveling component (to wit: questing) then the solution is simple: just put the object of the quest inside a cabin, cave, underground, etc.
    Such a splendid idea, and let's call it World of Molecraft.

Seriously.

This subject needs to be banned from this forum. Enough of the whining and idiocy already.
    Last edited by Zka; 2013-11-21 at 08:58 PM.

I have come to the conclusion that all the complainers haven't been to the Timeless Isle, and therefore are complaining about something in a game they aren't even playing.

They want us to jump across pillars and walk along ropes to find chests and kill rares and do other things to entertain ourselves out in the world rather than sitting in "shrines" complaining about being bored while waiting for the raid to start..

Flying makes it trivial, so either they can not give relevant rewards or they can remove flying.

Since the playerbase complained incessantly about not having enough things to do at endgame, and then complained about having dailies, well, here we are. No flying until the rewards from the content are no longer worthwhile.

You're welcome.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Here is a solution.

Give flying a ramp up time.

3 seconds of ground movement out of combat to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Here is a solution.

Give flying a ramp up time.

3 seconds of ground movement out of combat to fly.
    See what I mean? Apparently no one on this forum is currently playing the game.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    No thanks..

I hope this is just a start and proves successful so they can remove or trivialize flying completely. Flying pretty much killed world PvP so at least remove it from PvP servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    See what I mean? Apparently no one on this forum is currently playing the game.
    Some people also enjoy not spending 20 mins to get to the main hub without using a boring and badly made flight path system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I hope this is just a start and proves successful so they can remove or trivialize flying completely. Flying pretty much killed world PvP so at least remove it from PvP servers.
    The only form of PvP it killed was Ganking. No other form of WPvP was killed in any way, THAT form of WPvP was killed in Vanilla with the introduction of battlegrounds.

I'm sorry your untalented ass cannot repeatedly corpse camp some poor shmuck.

I really wish people would stop it already. Flying was THE WORST thing to happen to this game. Sure it was fun at first, but damn looking back it has RUINED the open world. Also, as was pointed out above, they want just jumping on platforms, walking ropes etc. None of that matters if you can just fly to that chest up on the side of the hill or whatever.

meh. It's not worth complaining about. I'm just gonna buy the game and play it when it comes out.
    The whole thing looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post

this exactly.

Deleted
    Yay!, another thread on this issue. Why even bother having reply button in threads, just put a create new thread button there instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    They are forcing no flying because they are unable to create enough content, so the only thing they can do is slow the player down artifically with no real explanation other then "it's more fun this way!".
    I am sure those that wish to burn through the content will have it all done on day one with or without a flight ability. Every single argument I have seen so far from people that want flying comes down to "I don't want it to take ME too long to level up, so give ME the ability to fly so that I can level faster then everyone else and skip all the content" These are the same people that with bitch on day two that there is nothing to do.

Well that would certainly make for an engaging leveling experience, next world or warcraft expansion: Caves of Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Some people also enjoy not spending 20 mins to get to the main hub without using a boring and badly made flight path system.

- - - Updated - - -

The only form of PvP it killed was Ganking. No other form of WPvP was killed in any way, THAT form of WPvP was killed in Vanilla with the introduction of battlegrounds.

I'm sorry your untalented ass cannot repeatedly corpse camp some poor shmuck.
    "ganking" you don't really know what that word is do you? If your talking about a solo rogue killing the one shot-able mage / priest / warlock that is not what it is, and well those days are LONG gone. True ganking was getting a nice little party together and destroying everyone that got in your way. Always used to love when my hunter buddy would sic King B on some dude trying to escape on an epic land mount, then I would catch him and stun him till everyone else got there. Ahhhh the good old days.

World PvP ended when they added the boss level guards to every freaking city, and minor way point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    They have given a solution: You level to 100, you wait till 6.1 and then you do a questline to get flying.
    That is the solution.
    No, that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that all the complainers haven't been to the Timeless Isle, and therefore are complaining about something in a game they aren't even playing.

They want us to jump across pillars and walk along ropes to find chests and kill rares and do other things to entertain ourselves out in the world rather than sitting in "shrines" complaining about being bored while waiting for the raid to start..

Flying makes it trivial, so either they can not give relevant rewards or they can remove flying.

Since the playerbase complained incessantly about not having enough things to do at endgame, and then complained about having dailies, well, here we are. No flying until the rewards from the content are no longer worthwhile.

You're welcome.
    The Timeless Isle was freaking awful, four months of that with nothing else to do is roughly on par with making the game more 'immersive' by having it kick me in the balls every time you take a hit.
    Last edited by Deamon002; 2013-11-21 at 10:17 PM.