Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

CAR: The next big, long lasting UN war?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...247756568.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25095471

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...rican_Republic

From what I am reading, CAR is a country that is 80% Christian, and has been taken over by islamic terrorists. Sounds like some people are concerned over a possible Genocide.

Deleted
    UN War? You mean the USA and the UK right? We will get shit for it like we do every conflict, we should let the real UN (HAH!) do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    UN War? You mean the USA and the UK right? We will get shit for it like we do every conflict, we should let the real UN (HAH!) do it.
    Most other countries can't afford to goto war every 5 years. Also with the money the US spend on miltary these wars can be seen as training for troops and tests of new miltary hardware.

Actually France is leading the way.

Deleted
    Islamists took over half of Mali like one year ago, only the French intervened.

Besides, as far as I know, the CAR is already a somewhat Western ally so I wouldn't expect any major intervention like Afghanistan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    France and leading are two words that do not go together in a military context, unless you are talking retreat....

Deleted
    Let France deal with it then, 2 wars fought in the last decades have taken its toll on the US and UK forces, we need time out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    France and leading are two words that do not go together in a military context, unless you are talking retreat....
    Well they're the only ones that can do it. Let them be the heroes for once.

I'm saying that with a grain of salt btw.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Borgholm View Post
    Islamists took over half of Mali like one year ago, only the French intervened.

Besides, as far as I know, the CAR is already a somewhat Western ally so I wouldn't expect any major intervention like Afghanistan.
    CAR was recently taken over by an islamic rebel force that staged a coup. I am not sure how that affects a countries ally status with it's allies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Well they're the only ones that can do it. Let them be the heroes for once.

I'm saying that with a grain of salt btw.
    Well I agree, but when people start hinting at genocide...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    This is terrible stereotyping because they didn't back the US in Iraq (which was a very unpopular war). France has been very active militarily this past decade, and generally very supportive of the US.

They're one of the largest countries to get actually involved in Libya

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I agree, but when people start hinting at genocide...

I abhor genocide but I really feel this is not the US's fight.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    This is terrible stereotyping because they didn't back the US in Iraq (which was a very unpopular war). France has been very active militarily this past decade, and generally very supportive of the US.

That has been a joke about France since WWII, when they put up less of a fight than Poland did.

the congo has always been a hot bed for some good ol' petty tribal mass murder. now we graduated to Islamist militants? I can tell things are going to get worse. this whole thing has flown under the radar here the the US at least. if America wanted to actually do something we would know about it. should there be an intervention? perhaps if it can stop another genocide and totalitarian takeover. however this is simple speculation.

Deleted
    CAR was recently taken over by an islamic rebel force that staged a coup. I am not sure how that affects a countries ally status with it's allies.
    I still can't imagine an Afghanistan-scale intervention. We're not talking al-Qaida members taking over, it's just a situation that resembles that of Somalia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Kidding me? It's not as if the UK and USA are by far the biggest contributers when it comes to peacekeeping.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    Kidding me? It's not as if the UK and USA are by far the biggest contributers when it comes to peacekeeping.
    He's saying if he didn't get involved. We'd get shit on by the always righteous EU community.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post

I've been cracking French/retreat jokes since I was a kid. It started long before the second Iraq war.

Anyway, France is more then capable of handling this.

France seems to be the savior of Africa these days, while the entire rest of the industrialized world asks: If it's south of the Mediterranean sea why should I give a flying ****?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    No, which is why I said "hah" when talking about the UN, the UN are a shower of shit which is why people want the US, UK and France to get involved. The UN peacekeepers are no better than conscripts given a few weeks training, broken equipment and a blue beret.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, which is why I said "hah" when talking about the UN, the UN are a shower of shit which is why people want the US, UK and France to get involved. The UN peacekeepers are no better than conscripts given a few weeks training, broken equipment and a blue beret.
    Well, most people want them to be peaceMAKERS, not peacekeepers.