10+ Year Old Account

1H + Offhand still > 2H?

I remember when the thinking was that a 1h weapon and offhand were better then using a 2h weapon because you could enchant both the weapon and the offhand as opposed to just one enchant on the 2h. Is this still the case? I haven't seen anyone talk about it recently so I wanted to check. I'm currently rocking an ilvl 528 Immaculately Preserved Wand and a 553 Purehearted Cricket Cage and last night a 553 Gaze of Arrogance came my way and I'm not sure if I should swap for it or not.

That is not the case.

What does matter is stat allocation and Spell Power.

Generally, MH + OH will have more SP (from Enchant and raw stats, it's fairly balanced) and a tiny bit less secondary stats.
    2H will have a bit more secondary stats at the sake of a tiny bit less SP

As far as which one you should take, I'm not entirely certain for shadow. I wouldn't want to be stuck with less haste.

It all depends on the stat allocation for the items in question, your classes needs, and what you have available. A 553 staff will be far superior to a 528 1H + 553 OH simply due to it having more stats all around. Once you have available 1H+OH / Staff of the same item levels, you should go by what sims best for your class and spec at that gear level. If your priority is haste > mastery> crit, it would benefit you more to use a haste mastery staff, than a mastery crit 1h+oh combo.

10+ Year Old Account
    As it stands right now if I swapped (gems and enchants not taken in to account) I'd gain 240 int, 1746 sp, 1003 crit, and 605 mastery but I'd lose 755 haste. If I upgrade my offhand those numbers obviously change with the biggest being I'd then lose 802 haste. My stat priority is haste > mastery > crit so losing that much haste is not something I would want but that's a decent amount of sp I'd be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    As it stands right now if I swapped (gems and enchants not taken in to account) I'd gain 240 int, 1746 sp, 1003 crit, and 605 mastery but I'd lose 755 haste. If I upgrade my offhand those numbers obviously change with the biggest being I'd then lose 802 haste. My stat priority is haste > mastery > crit so losing that much haste is not something I would want but that's a decent amount of sp I'd be getting.
    That trade is so obviously worth it.

Stop thinking in terms of stat priorities and start thinking in terms of stat weights. Even with haste weighed at over twice the value of crit and mastery that trade is worth it. And haste isn't that valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    That trade is so obviously worth it.

Stop thinking in terms of stat priorities and start thinking in terms of stat weights. Even with haste weighed at over twice the value of crit and mastery that trade is worth it. And haste isn't that valuable.
    Yeah, I've been doing a fair amount of number crunching since originally posting this and I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to make the switch.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Might wanna check this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    My stat priority is haste > mastery > crit so losing that much haste is not something I would want but that's a decent amount of sp I'd be getting.
    Not quite. Since you're over 14873 haste, with amp trinket and t16 2pc bonus, your stat priority should be more like crit = mastery >= haste until you're able to comfortably reach 18215 haste (that is, until you get the Big Boy from Garrosh). And even then, the 18215 haste build is fairly par with the 14873 haste build, it's all a matter of personal playstyle preference. I like the 14873 build myself, running a bit heavier on crit.

As a rule of thumb (i.e. not universal truth set on stone and by no means undebatable math), you can safely assume 2 secondary stat = 1.1 int = 1.2 spell power. So in this case the haste doesn't make up for the int + SP + sec stats.
    Last edited by Dierdre; 2013-11-27 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Agreed, especially since haste has break points that we stop at, and haste just turns into crit and mastery via reforges and regemming beyond that.