Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Just to add on what everyone has already said and give my own experience: Was stuck trying to break into Act 2 on my monk and didn't play much at all until recently, and finally decided to finish out inferno and cleared it on MP0 or 1 I forget with 1 death, having basically the exact same gear as I had before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inferno MP10 is nothing compared to original inferno at release.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Those aren't simply nerfs - as you said even with a full tank build some combos were just unbeatable. It's not the definition of difficult, it's the definition of frustrating, simply because even if the gods smiled on you and gave you incredible gear, you would find something that is called broken and you were just dead.

Not saying that the game now is harder, because it isn't. But apart the broad nerf to monsters damage some things just neede to be adjusted and/or removed:
    - mobs damage stacking up for more people in party meant that actually you wouldn't have been able to handle them
    - enrage timers/hp resets that made some combos unkillable
    - ability damage was crap in many cases so you could have been hard to kill, but elites would enrage because of too low damage
    - Smoke screen DH
    etc etc etc.

They nerfed the game in some aspects for sure, but for many others they just got rid of crap that made the game unplayable.
    I'm just calling a horse a horse. When I say difficult, I mean the opposite of easy. You can try and split hairs between broken, difficult, artificially difficult, etc, but at the end of the day all I'm saying is your odds of winning were much lower in original Inferno than current MP10, even accounting for getting better gear over time, because it had mechanics that were inherently unfair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Inferno MP10 is nothing compared to original inferno at release.
    Just for whiners. Or for someone who started playing after all nerfs.

It was possible to beat inferno with 30-40k dps and it has been done many times.
    90k dps allowed you to oneshot everything around you, inferno in such gear(even without healthy amount of resists) was walk in the park.

All the "difficulty" was in poor gear that people had back then.

I progressed through inferno with 15k dps. No wonder that it was damn hard! I still have nightmares about belial. I changed gear to pure dps because every hit was oneshot anyway, took me countless times to do this, but I made it!
    Then there was endless farming to get enough gear to progress through inferno.

What's the difference between old diablo and new diablo? Both are farmfest. Thousands runs killing the same monsters over and over.
    But old diablo had a GOAL. You farmed to get better gear to progress further.
    New diablo is pointless. You can beat inferno in the gear you can buy from AH on money you gathered during levelling. You still have nothing else to do but to farm, but now your farming is just for the sake of farming.

The game is still pretty hard btw.
    I have some old gear left on one of my characters left from the times when 12k dps and 300 all resist was pretty decent. I can barely progress through inferno in such gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    Just for whiners. Or for someone who started playing after all nerfs.

It was possible to beat inferno with 30-40k dps and it has been done many times.
    90k dps allowed you to oneshot everything around you, inferno in such gear(even without healthy amount of resists) was walk in the park.

All the "difficulty" was in poor gear that people had back then.

I progressed through inferno with 15k dps. No wonder that it was damn hard! I still have nightmares about belial. I changed gear to pure dps because every hit was oneshot anyway, took me countless times to do this, but I made it!
    Then there was endless farming to get enough gear to progress through inferno.

What's the difference between old diablo and new diablo? Both are farmfest. Thousands runs killing the same monsters over and over.
    But old diablo had a GOAL. You farmed to get better gear to progress further.
    New diablo is pointless. You can beat inferno in the gear you can buy from AH on money you gathered during levelling. You still have nothing else to do but to farm, but now your farming is just for the sake of farming.

The game is still pretty hard btw.
    I have some old gear left on one of my characters left from the times when 12k dps and 300 all resist was pretty decent. I can barely progress through inferno in such gear.
    300 All resist was not decent in original inferno. You'd literally get one shotted in Act 2 by the first mob with that low amount of resist, unless your armor was god tier. And yes, original Inferno could be facerolled with high dps, if you were a pre nerf smokescreen demon hunter, or force armor wizard. Smokescreen and force armor got nerfed long before inferno did though, and I would call that version after Blizzard nerfed all the super broken abilities but before they nerfed inferno, the hardest version by far.

And inferno isn't hard these days. I played a self found wizard recently on MP0, went straight through hell-inferno without needing to stop to farm. Either way, from your post, I'm guessing you didn't roll melee.

Deleted
    I actually got a very early inferno diablo kill on my witch doctor with something like 20k dps, no resist on gear besides intellect and almost no hitpoints. My successful kill, after about 6 hours of trying, was a 20 minute bossfight where i finally managed to avoid EVERYTING he does until he died. I was literally oneshot by everything (even live saving talents of the witch doctor somehow didn't work reliably).
    Progressing through act 4 inferno was more like running through the act to reach checkpoints and do the bosses cause champions/elites were impossible to kill. Act 3 inferno was actually farmable with my shitty gear but was entirely based on avoiding everything (which works quite good with most act 3 mobs)..

So yes: The game was quite a bit harder right after release
    By the way: After clearing inferno on my witch doctor I immediately did it on a Barbarian too because of all the whining and it turned out to be considerably easier. The key point for me was to not go for the praised resist/armor stacking but rather build a defensive frenzy/revenge build with all offensive gear. Worked really good as you could achieve extreme avoidance/def-buffs, combined with a solid self heal and lots and lots of little defensive cooldowns all coming from the spec alone. That way it was actually possible for me to kill most champion/elite packs on inferno and simply face tank diablo on inferno without focusing on (ridiculous expensive) defensive stats on my gear. Funny thing: when I tried to tell this to people on the forums they simply called me a liar because some famous barbs praised the defstat-stacking as the only solution and it was considered a fact that inferno was impossible to beat for barbarians without uber-resistances.
    In fact it was a walk in the park compared to the dodgy kiting bullshit I had to do with the witch doctor