Poll: Was Pizza hut's decision to fire manager correct?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Pizza Hut manager fired for refusing to open on Thanksgiving.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pizza-...042328900.html
    The article says it all, what do you think, was the guy being a stubborn mule or is Pizza Hut just being greedy butt lickers?

Personally I think Pizza Hut is just being ass hats about this, Pizza Hut is a fast food establishment, I don't know a single person who is going to Pizza Hut or who ever has on Thanksgiving.

Deleted
    not sure about firing him, but if its not company policy to close on that day, he should still be doing his job.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's noble, and it's the kind of thing I'd like to hear from more store managers. But yeah. You can't just decide to close a whole freaking store against corporate. My brother got fired from Subway for locking the door for 15 minutes because he ran out of bread. You just gotta deal with the bullshit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If it's not his decision to make, then it's not his decision to make.
    This. If the business rules of Pizza Hut say that he has to open on that day, than that's how it is. Simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Business is business and if you get a job in a place you know opens at X time and refuse to open at X time then you get fired, that is life. He was in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's noble, and it's the kind of thing I'd like to hear from more store managers. But yeah. You can't just decide to close a whole freaking store against corporate. My brother got fired from Subway for locking the door for 15 minutes because he ran out of bread. You just gotta deal with the bullshit.
    That reminds me of a mcdonalds nearby that ran out of burger pattys and were open the whole day. Pretty stupid for a store to be wasting money like that imo.. Though I was working in a restaurant once that was open on Easter; not a single customer showed up the entire day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmaniac View Post
    That reminds me of a mcdonalds nearby that ran out of burger pattys and were open the whole day. Pretty stupid for a store to be wasting money like that imo.. Though I was working in a restaurant once that was open on Easter; not a single customer showed up the entire day.

when i worked in retail we was open during the world cup final, we had like 5 customers while that was on, was really busy about an hour before though, lots of men buying beer :P

They were right to reprimand (firing may have been too strong) him for violating store hours policy.

They may however be wrong to require stores to open on thanksgiving.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a job. Food service jobs work holidays, because people need to eat. This is nothing new. He chose not to due his job and they fired him for it. If he doesn't want a job that works holidays he should change professions.

I work Saturdays at least once a month now, I understand that's part of the job, its not the normal but I deal with it, and if I couldn't I'd look for a different job.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think firing him was the right thing to do. But he was an employee, and part of that is following policy. As crappy as it is forcing someone to work on a holiday they have the right to do so. I have a friend who has to go to work tomorrow night at 8 and stay til 1230 am, then be back there at 530 am til 2pm. She isn't happy about it, but is going to do it as it is her job,

10+ Year Old Account
    There are very few days that I would refuse to work. Thanksgiving is one of them. If I worked somewhere that tried to insist I come in that would be my last day.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

If this was, "Pizza Hut fires manager for refusing to hire only white, attractive women" or "Pizza Hut fires manager for refusing to lick frozen pole in winter as punishment" then we'd have a discussion. But being responsible to have the restaurant open is part of the manager's job description, and it's well within Pizza Hut's rights to fire the manager for this reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if a regular employee refused to work on a day he was rostered on, even after being given plenty of notice that he was required to work on that particular holiday.

This is exactly the same thing, only scaled up one step. Of course the dude got fired.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Getting canned was the right thing for corporate to do. If you no call no show to a job you will most likely get reprimanded or written up... if you don't bother to show and open a store, also causing the people scheduled to work that day a day (sometimes like with my job on TG I am making double time) of no holiday pay... that's a lot of people getting hurt by his actions. He can't follow simple company policy, he shouldn't be a manager/

Deleted
    True both of those seem daft. If out of bread or burgers, what`re you meant to do?

Hell, I worked for pizza hut (busiest in our area due to near Uni) for quite some time & one night we had a power cut. 3-4 hours it was out, yet the shift manager (who consistently did idiotic things) kept taking orders for the first hour or so, stating that the power could go on at any minute.

As for yahoo news: "In years past, Rohr said, Pizza Hut stores have been closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, according to Fox 8."

I take it they`d been asked to open this year? There`s no mention of that or why this year & not others.

10+ Year Old Account
    I once went through a KFC drive-thru to be told after queuing that they had run out of chicken... I was like WTF???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumar View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pizza-...042328900.html
    The article says it all, what do you think, was the guy being a stubborn mule or is Pizza Hut just being greedy butt lickers?

Personally I think Pizza Hut is just being ass hats about this, Pizza Hut is a fast food establishment, I don't know a single person who is going to Pizza Hut or who ever has on Thanksgiving.
    he took a contract, you have no mandatory holiday in your country. A holiday is a massive opportunity for restaurants (if we charitably call PH that), so he should have expected to open...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He wasn't fired by pizza hut he was fired by the guy who owns the franchise. Fix the poll.
    None of that is mentioned in the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Franchise owners still do what the franchise says. Don't buy into a franchise if you don't like their rules.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    None of that is mentioned in the article.
    It doesn't have to be. It's a franchise and this is how franchises work. The corporation does not make any decisions when it comes to staffing of individual stores.
    Is this where the header goes?