Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is princ Arthas in WoW what is Anakin...

...Skywalker in Star Wars ? I mean at the start they both have some sort of great powers to be leaders of or own ppls, but to protect own ppls and family both was hard failed. What do you think, are they make good decisions or they, even if failed go totally wrong. I mean for myself I will be doin everything to protect my wife and daughter even if that mean I must become some sort of bad man.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both are similar.

Both lost loved ones to savage creatures(Anakin lost his Mother to Tusken Raiders, Arthas lost his Kingdom to Scourge) and then let Evil people (Ner'zhul/Palpatine) corrupt them into thinking they needed great power (frostmourne/Darkside) to keep the people they loved safe (Padme and her twin children/People of Lordaeron).

Both then turned on their Mentor (Uther/Obiwan), both then went on to lead great armies against their old comrades (Sith Empire/Scourge).

I think both characters started out as good, but both became too arrogant and ignorant about their own abilities and their pride was their downfall.

I think without the bad things happening to them both may have led lives as great leaders and honorable men.

Anakin he had great power to bring balance to the force and so he did, first he became evil and tip balance to the evil side of the force but at the same time he had Luke that tip the power back so in a sence he did bring balance to the force but Anakin never had any great power to become a leader pretty much was always doomed to be a follower, first to Obi wan then to Palpatine.

He brought balance to the force by killing palpatine, he would have done this whether luke was involved or not at some point
    Last edited by sulfuras; 2013-11-28 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cronight View Post
    ...Skywalker in Star Wars ? I mean at the start they both have some sort of great powers to be leaders of or own ppls, but to protect own ppls and family both was hard failed. What do you think, are they make good decisions or they, even if failed go totally wrong. I mean for myself I will be doin everything to protect my wife and daughter even if that mean I must become some sort of bad man.
    Fortunately, Arthas is not as stupid and juvenile as Anakin, and his transformation is more believable.

The biggest difference for me is that Arthas, while still being a good person and a member of Silver Hand, was too inexperianced and rash to see the bigger picture - which in turn lead him to a trap. He wanted to do good things, but he didn't know that his way is paved by the Lich King. Eventually, his evil actions were performed when he was controlled by Demons, and later by the Lich King. Anakin, on the other hand, knew perfectly that the person he was talking to was a Sith. He chose the corruption and evil on his own, knowing the very consequences of it. He wasn't controlled by anyone when he decided to team up with Palpatine and slaughter innocent children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Anakin he had great power to bring balance to the force and so he did, first he became evil and tip balance to the evil side of the force but at the same time he had Luke that tip the power back so in a sence he did bring balance to the force but Anakin never had any great power to become a leader pretty much was always doomed to be a follower, first to Obi wan then to Palpatine.
    He believed from his Teenage years he had already surpassed Obi-wan and even Yoda as a Jedi in Power and also forced himself onto the Jedi Council through Palpatine.
    He also really only follows Palpatine so that he will grant him the power of the Darkside, but mostly leads the Empires armies himself.

Also "Sith, there is always 2, a Master and an Apprentice."

If Darth could have found a worthy apprentice he would have killed Palpatine on the spot and took over for himself (as you see in the Force Unleashed games with Galen "Starkiller" Marek)

He is very much "leader" material.

10+ Year Old Account
    but did not anakin was forced to choose evil path to protect own family?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Fortunately, Arthas is not as stupid and juvenile as Anakin, and his transformation is more believable.

The biggest difference for me is that Arthas, while still being a good person and a member of Silver Hand, was too inexperianced and rash to see the bigger picture - which in turn lead him to a trap. He wanted to do good things, but he didn't know that his way is paved by the Lich King. Eventually, his evil actions were performed when he was controlled by Demons, and later by the Lich King. Anakin, on the other hand, knew perfectly that the person he was talking to was a Sith. He chose the corruption and evil on his own, knowing the very consequences of it. He wasn't controlled by anyone when he decided to team up with Palpatine and slaughter innocent children.
    He didn't know Palpatine was the Sith lord until very late into the Clone Wars, He didn't choose corruption, he chose to learn the Darkside to save his wife and children, he was then manipulated by Palpatine into thinking the Jedi were Evil and trying to take over and believed Palpatine to be his only way to save his wife.

When he slaughtered the younglings and the rest of the Jedi temple he was under the thought process that they were evil themselves and plotting to destroy the republic.

His anger and feeling of failure were his ultimate downfall and he fell to the corruption, much like Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by cronight View Post
    but did not anakin was forced to choose evil path to protect own family?
    Yes, read above.

Anakin was a victim of Obi-wan. Any reasonable society would have set him up with a scholarship at a top level engineering school given his obvious skill at it at such a young age. Instead Obi-wan manipulated him like a chess piece on a grand board turning him into a warrior and giving him ample opportunities to give into his rage and hate. In the end he ended up with the power to manipulate the entire republic from beyond the grave, Anakin was just a stepping stone in his evil ways. Not really what happened with Arthas, but there are some similarities.

Deleted
    Please, don't ruin Arthas for me.

There's still a major difference. Anakin was always perfectly under controll of his own mind and actions, while Arthas lost his soul once he took up Frostmourne. Even while Anakin was Darth Vader, he still had his own mind, but he just went all emo and ''well, now I might aswell serve the Dark Side, I fucked up on the other side''. Arthas as the Lich King had no controll, atleast the ''Good Arthas'' during his time as a paladin.

hmm.. now Anakin I always found as quite selfish. The fact he betrayed everyone and everything for his future with Padme.

On the other hand, one of the things about Arthas' descent is that basically SOMEONE had to do it... but it shouldn't have been him.
    The culling of Stratholme for an example had to be done. It was messed up, but everyone was already infected and we'd have been even more fucked if it hadn't. Uther, who's still revered as some hero, bascially leaves a kid to do it because he doesn't want his own hands dirtied. OBVIOUSLY it was going to mess up Arthas big time, but every action he took was still always for his people (until he lost his soul to Frostmourne). If he had actually had help and trust from anyone along the way then things would have been a lot different.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Evil is a point of view.

Arthas would've never gone evil if Uther and Jaina didn't abandon him. He made the right choice to purge Stratholme

They share the same trope. The differences between characters are that Anakin was written terribly with poor execution and Arthas was written blandly with mediocare execution (But good for overall RTS genre).
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-11-28 at 03:26 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas isn't Anakin....
    If anything, Arthas is one part King Arthur.....
    The other part is Elric of Melniboné.

Elric's finding of the sword Stormbringer serves as both his greatest asset and greatest disadvantage. The sword confers upon Elric strength, health and fighting prowess but must be fed by the souls of those struck with the black blade. In the end, the blade takes everyone close to Elric and eventually Elric's own soul as well. Most of Moorcock's stories about Elric feature this relationship with Stormbringer, and how it—despite Elric's best intentions—brings doom to everything the Melnibonéan holds dear.
    And Elric's physical attibutes are:
    It is the colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two slanting eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the colour of bone.
    Who is older? Elric, Arthas, or Anakin?
    Elric was "born" in 1961", and the first full blown book novel was from 1973.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    He brought balance to the force by killing palpatine, he would have done this whether luke was involved or not at some point
    Bringing Balance to the force is a subjective statement. Anakin brought balance to the force when he led the Sith to destroy the Jedi in their temple on Coruscant not in the future when he kills Palpatine. At this point in time there was a larger amount of Jedi than Sith so when they massacre all the children and others in the temple and Palpatine gives the order to destroy the Jedi on all the other planets balance is brought to the force when the sides are made even (Anakin and Palapatine on Sith and Obi-wan and Yoda on Jedi).

On topic: Arthas made the correct decision to purge Stratholme. If he didn't the plague would have spread and there would be no humans left in the world and undead Uther and Jaina would still be giving Undead Arthas crap for not making the decision.
    Last edited by Starscreamer; 2013-11-28 at 03:44 PM.

It's supposed to be the same theme of good turning bad, but Anakin's transformation made no fucking sense. Neither did Vader's re-turn when he jumped on the emperor and ate 5 trillion volts

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscreamer View Post
    Bringing Balance to the force is a subjective statement. Anakin brought balance to the force when he led the Sith to destroy the Jedi in their temple on Coruscant not in the future when he kills Palpatine. At this point in time there was a larger amount of Jedi than Sith so when they massacre all the children and others in the temple and Palpatine gives the order to destroy the Jedi on all the other planets balance is brought to the force when the sides are made even (Anakin and Palapatine on Sith and Obi-wan and Yoda on Jedi).
    The Force doesn't work like that. The Dark Side is a corruption. The Force isn't some scale of "good vs evil", it is naturally good. In order to bring balance to the force, the corruption (the dark side) needed to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    It's supposed to be the same theme of good turning bad, but Anakin's transformation made no fucking sense. Neither did Vader's re-turn when he jumped on the emperor and ate 5 trillion volts
    Maybe if you're stupid and don't understand what is happening, sure...