10+ Year Old Account

Advice on a laptop

So recently I've been looking at laptops that can handle my gaming needs such as Warcraft (LFR every now and then at College breaks) and SWTOR and was wondering if a 4th gen i7-4500u (3.00GHz) with Radeon HD 8850M 2gb could handle my gaming needs? I also want to note that I'm not looking for HIGH or ULTRA settings, just as long as the games are playable without fps issues

My price range is 900-1000 and I'm sure a decent laptop is of that price. You may say "why not build a computer?" I'm going to but I also want to have a laptop handy for when I'm at College away from my actual computer tower. Breaks can be boring!

Anyway, I just need to know whether this laptop is worth it's price tag of $998. If not, please do suggest laptops based on my needs.

EDIT: forgot to mention, it has 8gb RAM
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-11-28 at 09:33 PM.

I've been looking for a laptop for school that can play WoW decently... just a little bit lower price range. Lot of good deals on newegg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah unfortunately newegg is strictly US and Canada, I'm Australian. But I first want an opinion on the laptop above from one of the hardware experts on this forum before I get suggestions on laptops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: If this laptop turns out to not be worth it, please do suggest websites for international shipping (As newegg does not ship outside US/Canada)

- - - Updated - - -

No one able to help? Sad face
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-12-02 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't have many Aussie people on here, but there are a few. It's a wonky weekend with Thanksgiving, BF/CM, so some people might not be around, but hopefully an answer can be had soon.

For $1000 though, I know Aussie prices are mysteriously higher, that sounds like it may be a proper price point for the performance.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    We don't have many Aussie people on here, but there are a few. It's a wonky weekend with Thanksgiving, BF/CM, so some people might not be around, but hopefully an answer can be had soon.

For $1000 though, I know Aussie prices are mysteriously higher, that sounds like it may be a proper price point for the performance.
    And based on those specs, can it run Warcraft and SWTOR just fine? I'm aiming for Low-Medium settings with minimal lag.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-12-02 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    And based on those specs, can it run Warcraft and SWTOR just fine? I'm aiming for Low-Medium settings with minimal lag.
    You should be alright, but i'm not any where near an expert on laptop parts so don't take my words as gospel on the subject.

As for the price range, those parts would fit into the $1000 price range for a laptop. In fact those parts could be considered a great deal for that price range after looking through some prices i'm not seeing anything with dedicated gpu for under 1k and above that it's all nvidia GT's and the 8850M performs around 25% (from memory) better. Although be careful, that leads me to believe it's being cheap in other areas.

You can check out:

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/

For a general price guide of the equiv. laptops for that price range.