Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it's always been $15*whatever the heck Visa is overcharging for the CAD->USD exchange .

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    For me, it's always been $15*whatever the heck Visa is overcharging for the CAD->USD exchange .
    For me as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always been 13 euros /15 $ since forever, dunno what you smoked son.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason the other MMOs out there, especially the ones that are F2P, are so weak.
    Yes, there is: fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Taxes on internet goods. I would hate to be in one of those states
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...sales-tax.html

“Georgia Use Tax is due on all purchases made through the internet . . . when Georgia Sales Tax is not collected by the selling company.”

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Because they can't have it for free?

Mindblowing concept, I know.
    ^ One day people will get it, though I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for the subscription fee to be lowered, more people would play if that were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Why do people still pay $60 for a title that is considered "long" at 60 hours of game play? Sub fees for MMOs typically convert at much better than a fee of $1 per hour of play.
    I don't know the last single player game besides and RPG that has had 60 hours of gameplay. In fact I doubt there are very many.

I also don't understand why people still pay 15 a month for WoW. I have not payed for my sub fee in 5 years gold buys all my sub fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Better question is why people still shell out for subscription fees on titles supported by billion dollar video game empires.
    Yeah, servers sure don't cost anything to maintain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Tip? How the hell do you TIP on a subscription payment...?
    Buy shit from the blizzard store ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I pay around $26 for 60-day pre-paid, here in Poland, after conversion.

I never buy it at Blizzard, because of the price. Don't you have other sources, when you can buy just the code, digitally, with no physical card?

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Because the game is fun

If it is not fun for you, and therefore not worth the $15 a month, do not pay the $15 a month and do not play the game. Such difficult. Lel.
    Already did. Doesn't mean it's not still bullshit but people still seem to think it's necessary or they're actually getting more for it. Such retarded, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Because we want it to KEEP being supported by billion dollar video game empires, and keep a high level of gameplay throughout.

There's a reason the other MMOs out there, especially the ones that are F2P, are so weak.
    If you tried some of them you'd realize just how far behind WoW is in terms of playability and innovation. The only reason people still do it is for raids, which have declined in quality steadily over these 10 years and you go half a year at a time between major updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Why do you still pay your cable bill? I mean, think of all the advertising revenue they rake in. Dont be stupid.
    Think of all of the other mmo's that get by with no subscription fee at all and certainly doesn't hinder their development. Games like Guild Wars 2 that support themselves with purely cosmetic cash shop items and they pump out new shit every 2 weeks.

PS. Cable companies have fuck all to do with the advertising on channels. Don't be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by alternateaccount View Post
    Yeah, servers sure don't cost anything to maintain.
    They don't cost $100MM+ a month. Not even close. Back in 2004, subscription fees made sense because infrastructure and server equipment, colocation and so on was expensive, as was bandwidth. That's not the case these days. There's other ways to generate revenue. It's just through the continued greed of the company and the continued complacency of their player base that it stays the way it is. Nothing more. Nevermind that Blizz also has revenue flowing in from the StarCraft series, Diablo, and then the pet stores and soon to be Heroes of the Cash Shop. Plus that sweet sweet Call of Duty money from Kotick.

Server maintenance...give me a break.

wtb less shill responses...or at least get some new ones. Bonus points at least for there not being the usual "lol $15, ARE YOU POOR?!?" responses.

Why do people still pay $60 for a title that is considered "long" at 60 hours of game play? Sub fees for MMOs typically convert at much better than a fee of $1 per hour of play.
    For me it wasn't the money, it was what you got for the money. Sure it was more "time per dollar" but every minute of that time was just garbage and steadily worsening.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-29 at 05:31 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's been $14.99 a month all through my battle.net account history (going back to 2005), except for a few times that I bought those 60-day gamecards or paid 3 months at once.

Although I'm sure it can be different based on where you live.

Well sure, but I wouldn't suggest you pay for things you don't enjoy in general. Assuming someone enjoys the game, a monthly sub is basically nothing compared to the alternatives, which means it boggles my mind that people fail to realize that.
    Blizzard's continuing subscription model is an issue though. It's a cash grab at this point and unnecessary. What's ultimately more annoying though is there are some people, like those above, who think that it's still acceptable and will actually defend it (usually with the same rhetoric and total lack of understanding). WoW hasn't needed a subscription fee in years, it had made more than enough money to sustain a competent level of development for the next decade by the time BC came out. Except they've continued with it, as well as paid expansions and have actually made it worse over time...ironic!

idk pointless discussing it because people seem to wear their "$15/month merit badges" with blazing pride still lol.

I don't know. I just found out Blood Elves were a playable race for the horde. When did that happen?

It's a for profit business. They don't have to justify a monthly sub fee with anything other than an existent consumer base that deems the product worth the price.
    You don't think I get that?

That's probably the only competent answer to the question "Why is Blizzard still charging a subscription fee?"

Unfortunately it usually ends up in the "for better development!"/"cuz poor people suck"/"da servers cost money!" shenanigans as exhibited previously and every time the topic comes up.

At least you can admit to it So that's something.

I have to purchase a retail 60-Day pre-paid card, usually $30cad pre-tax, usually comes to $33cad with taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Blizzard's continuing subscription model is an issue though. It's a cash grab at this point and unnecessary. What's ultimately more annoying though is there are some people, like those above, who think that it's still acceptable and will actually defend it (usually with the same rhetoric and total lack of understanding). WoW hasn't needed a subscription fee in years, it had made more than enough money to sustain a competent level of development for the next decade by the time BC came out. Except they've continued with it, as well as paid expansions and have actually made it worse over time...ironic!

idk pointless discussing it because people seem to wear their "$15/month merit badges" with blazing pride still lol.
    I personally find it worth it, people spend a lot more for a lot less enjoyment, and even in my practically-living-in-poverty situation, its still affordable and in my opinion, worth it. I'd much rather the game stay subscription based instead of being solely supported by first-time purchases and micro-transactions. And whether or not they NEED it, you know they WILL go that route if they cancel subscriptions, because that's how it works. They may have enough money to keep the game running for the next 20 years, but you think they are going to just be happy with that? No, Blizzard is a company like any other and that $15 a month coming from their hundreds of thousands of subscribers is still LOADS of income that I am not surprised they aren't willing to give up.
    Last edited by Bawa; 2013-11-29 at 06:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    EverQuest's monthly subscription was $15 back in like 1998, and I think every MMO have just used that as a benchmark ever since.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I've always paid about $18-20 CDN per month depending on the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawa View Post
    I personally find it worth it, people spend a lot more for a lot less enjoyment, and even in my practically-living-in-poverty situation, its still affordable and in my opinion, worth it. I'd much rather the game stay subscription based instead of being solely supported by first-time purchases and micro-transactions. And whether or not they NEED it, you know they WILL go that route if they cancel subscriptions, because that's how it works. They may have enough money to keep the game running for the next 20 years, but you think they are going to just be happy with that? No, Blizzard is a company like any other and that $15 a month coming from their hundreds of thousands of subscribers is still LOADS of income that I am not surprised they aren't willing to give up.
    Since you bolded it, what's the problem with microtransactions? A Subscription is really just one big recurring microtransaction The only difference is that you need to pay it to get access, you don't need to participate in microtransactions.

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Taxes on internet goods. I would hate to be in one of those states
    You're still legally required to pay a use tax but very few, if any online shoppers claim them on their tax returns each year.

By the way - I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you and the other "no state tax on Internet sales" club here but legislation is already being passed that will require sales tax on all Internet sales in all states. I pay sales tax to Blizz living in IL but not places like newegg, amazon etc. Depends on the business right now but soon it won't matter.

I know you people like to save money via tax but come on - this is billions in lost revenue. And people wonder why states are broke and local business are shutting down and/or don't carry squat anymore. Used to see tons of PC hardware in Best Buy here but that has dwindled to next to nothing over the past few years thanks to the Internet. Online prices aren't what they used to be either. I often find the same prices or even less at freakin walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.