Deleting alt, name changing main to that name, then restoring the alt?

Has anyone ever done this? What would happen? I want to change my main characters name to the name my alt has, would this way work? Basically deleting my alt to free up the name, name changing my main to that name, then restoring my alt.

as long as you pay for the name change on your main, and you outright say that, they wont change your main's name, and youll get a free name change on 2nd character

Not entirely sure but once you delete your character, doesn't the name become unavailable for 60 days or something like that to keep situations like this from occurring?

I'm better that when you restore the alt it will be flagged for a name change

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Not entirely sure but once you delete your character, doesn't the name become unavailable for 60 days or something like that to keep situations like this from occurring?
    For higher-lvled characters, if you transfer it to from Battle.net account A to Batte.net account B, the name becomes reserved on Battle.net account A for 30 days. No account, not even Battle.net Account B, can make a character with that name.

For higher-lvled characters, if you delete a very high lvl character, the name is reserved for 90 days I think by same Battle.net account it's on.

If everything is happening on the same battle.net account, it doesn't matter. No name reservation issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I've deleted characters and re-created them immediately after. I did it twice because I got tired of having alts, then changed my mind a few hours later. But I didn't try to name change anyone to the names.

Only for other accounts. For characters on the same account, the name should be available immediately.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    They do a one time deal where if you want your old alts name as your main name, they'll give you basically 2 free name changes.

I did this 2 days ago with a character change

GM said it was a 1 time deal.
    Last time I spoke with a GM about swapping names on two characters I own, he said I would have to pay for two name changes AND would have to wait the "reserve" period out. It's the only reason I've never done it, as I have two characters whose names I would really like to swap. So I guess it all depends on the GM.

Sig by Isilrien

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done this in the past. Whether it works or not depends on the GM.

I've had one success doing it and six failures.

The failures are called such because upon restoring my alt, it was given the name and my main was flagged for a rename.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done it once with a paid transfer, once with a paid name change, and once when MoP launched and we had a new slot. Worked every time. All on the same accout. I wouldn't bother trying it with restoring a character.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, it becomes unavailable to other accounts precisely to allow you to do this kind of thing.